Sign in to follow this  

tubless, tube, tubliss facts

I learned some stuff over the last week or so an thought I'd share. If you have conflicting information, please feel free to debate. For anyone who dabbles between trials, big bikes, and sometimes switches tires between bikes, here are my observations:

If you put a tubless michilen x11 on an 18" tube type rear excel rim, it stretches the diameter of the tire, making it impossible to fill with air when mounted back on the tubless trials bike. If someone has had success wth this let me know but it seemed like there was 5mm of clearance all around the rim so there was now way to get an air seal on either side. Possibly a cherry bomb would work but I didn't want to try it in my garage.

If you run a "Tubliss" TM system on your big bike you cannot get a tubless michilen x11 to seal well. It burps air at about 30psi when you're trying to seat the bead, then never really holds air, even at low pressure. It's probably ridable but you lose about 1 psi every 10 minutes.

If you've tried either of the above and need a plan B, the Bridgestone heavy duty tubes are damn near impossible to flatten. I unknowingly pinched the tube between the rim lock and an x11 tubless tire and rode two hard rides. When removing the tire to switch it out, I noticed that the tube was pinched. It had a mark in the shape of the rimlock but was completely fine. I'll try and come back to attach a picture of it. wow.

Another thing on the UHD tubes... i know a guy who lost a bolt inside the tire. he found the bolt when it wore though the tire... tube was fine.

If you put a tubless michilen x11 on an 18" tube type rear excel rim, it stretches the diameter of the tire, making it impossible to fill with air when mounted back on the tubless trials bike. .............

Your experience in swapping back and forth is way ahead of me.. I've experienced the difficulties of trying to mount a tubeless X-11 to a tube rim and understood the difference in rim diameters, but never tried swapping the tire back. I never thought about the tire stretching permanently, but makes sense.

Before I sign off.. I noticed your Avatar with the big bike on the concrete big step.. I've been looking for photos or web sites where Non-Trials Bikes are doing moves common to us on Trials Bikes.. If you know any, I'd appreciate a link or two. :smirk:

Well that's easy cuz it's me from last weekend. My riding buddy has been good enough to take lots of pictures. I can post some on photobucket but if you want better quality, I can send jpgs. Just let me know. He got some really cool series of photos on that concrete up. They're 0.2 seconds apart so it's a great way to troubleshoot technique.

Your experience in swapping back and forth is way ahead of me.. I've experienced the difficulties of trying to mount a tubeless X-11 to a tube rim and understood the difference in rim diameters, but never tried swapping the tire back. I never thought about the tire stretching permanently, but makes sense.

Before I sign off.. I noticed your Avatar with the big bike on the concrete big step.. I've been looking for photos or web sites where Non-Trials Bikes are doing moves common to us on Trials Bikes.. If you know any, I'd appreciate a link or two. :smirk:

Not pictures but a good vid of mx bike doing trails technique. If you haven't seen it already.

Well that's easy cuz it's me from last weekend. My riding buddy has been good enough to take lots of pictures. I can post some on photobucket but if you want better quality, I can send jpgs. Just let me know. He got some really cool series of photos on that concrete up. They're 0.2 seconds apart so it's a great way to troubleshoot technique.

Definitely!!

PhotoBucket might be OK, but I will not pass the opportunity to get the JPGs Thanks! :smirk:

2ly,you might find this vid up your ally

Thanks Kaos.. That is one of the few that I already have. But thanks again :smirk:

Not pictures but a good vid of mx bike doing trails technique. If you haven't seen it already.

Thanks!! I've seen that one before but did not save it... But it's saved now! :smirk:

OK, Hijack over? Back to Tube, Tubeless etc... I will clear out my PM box so I can receive any tips of videos or photos of Trials techniques on Enduro bikes. Thanks

2ply, I haven't forgotten about getting you some pics. I tried twice to get them onto photobucket but failed. I'm going to let it run while I'm at work today. If that doesn't work, I'll post them on our ftp at work where you can download them directly.

2ply, I haven't forgotten about getting you some pics. I tried twice to get them onto photobucket but failed. I'm going to let it run while I'm at work today. If that doesn't work, I'll post them on our ftp at work where you can download them directly.

Well, don't wait too long because I have to hold my breath until they come...

:smirk:

:lol: just kidding of course! Take your time.

Speaking of kidding, I wish Fester was around... he was always a great target to poke fun at.. FESTER! Come Back!!! :p We'll be good and not tease you...... Well, not on the first day at least.. :rant:

Well breathe easy my friend, because I got some loaded. I'll add some more to that album as I can. Some of the shots are at a spot on a Moab trail called Gold Spike. The spot is called Gold Crack. It's a big crack in the rock that each side kinda fades down into so it's hard to cross for bikes and rock crawlers.

The linky:

http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/jj362/fejjfejj/big%20bike%20trials/

Nice pics HP:thumbsup:

Yeah - we need Fester back - the big lug.

Also, going way off thread, Let 2ply hold his breath, its good for him. He's a diver afterall...

Nice pics HP:thumbsup:

Yeah - we need Fester back - the big lug.

Also, going way off thread, Let 2ply hold his breath, its good for him. He's a diver afterall...

Don't worry, I got a diving buddy to stand in for me while I go have some fun.. :smirk:

shark-holding-breath.jpg