Front Brake Pad Changing Help

Hey everyone.

I was trying to change the front brake pads on my 2002 YZ 125 last night and ran into a little issue. I guess i didnt separate the pads enough before taking the pin out and once i did, it was difficult to get the pads out. I got them out but then putting them back in was a different story. I could get one of them in, on either side, but for the life of me, i couldnt get the other one all the way in. I could get it somewhat up there, but not even half way. Anyone have any thoughts i can try. I saw some youtube videos of people doing it and they would push on the caliper (i believe) and get it to move side to side essentially. I wasnt able to move mine like they were in the video. Help please.

Thanks

Use a C clamp if you have one handy. I don't know if that bike has a single or dual piston front caliper, but there's little difference in this method. If it's a single piston you can put the clamp right on the piston but on a double you'll want a small plate of steel or something else solid to spread the pressure across both.

If I'm understanding you right, all you need to do is get that piston pushed back in to allow the pad to slide in place. Just line the C clamp up and twist that sucker down. Once you release the clamp it will stay in place long enough to get that pad in there.

Use a C clamp if you have one handy. I don't know if that bike has a single or dual piston front caliper, but there's little difference in this method. If it's a single piston you can put the clamp right on the piston but on a double you'll want a small plate of steel or something else solid to spread the pressure across both.

If I'm understanding you right, all you need to do is get that piston pushed back in to allow the pad to slide in place. Just line the C clamp up and twist that sucker down. Once you release the clamp it will stay in place long enough to get that pad in there.

:smirk:+1

I actually took a chain tool (the one to press a master link on) put one of the old pads against the caliper piston stuck the chain tool in there and pushed the caliper back (using the chain press part), I loosened the brake master cyl cap first so the fluid had a place to back up into before I tried... A shot of wd40 on the caliper piston wont hurt either... (just dont get it on the new pads..)

I took a decent sized flathead screwdriver and pried the caliper piston back. worked just fine and didnt hurt a thing.

Just for future reference, when your wheels are not on the bike do not hit the brakes. It will be muck harder to get your rotter in between the pads, or in your case replace the pads.

I took a decent sized flathead screwdriver and pried the caliper piston back. worked just fine and didnt hurt a thing.

Just for future reference, when your wheels are not on the bike do not hit the brakes. It will be muck harder to get your rotter in between the pads, or in your case replace the pads.

that is a fun dirty old trick to play on guys at work/at the track. somewhat like aking the spark plug boot off right befor they call everyone up for there moto.

as for your question, i use a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper, its the best and safest way to do so.

Can i hurt anything by using a screw driver to do it? By this i mean using some leverage off the Disc to open it. Thanks.

Can i hurt anything by using a screw driver to do it? By this i mean using some leverage off the Disc to open it. Thanks.

no just be careful not to slip the screwdriver. all your doing is pushing the brake fluid back up to the top.

dont forget. once you get everything back together and you pull the brakes your lever is gonna come all the way back to the bars at first. just prime them up for a sec and they will go back to normal.