Sign in to follow this  

91 xr200r engine rebuild

My sons bike was making lots of noise he's 13 so I desided to have him do all the work with me standing over his sholder. When we took the top end apart we found that the piston was about to go, the cam has a small chip on one of the lobes and the valves are worn out. So what I'm worndering is should I put a oem cam is there a different cam from another motor that is better or is the cam in the R the best without spending alot for aftermarket one? The bike has been hard to get into 1st gear too is that a common problem what do you think maby a shift fork or drum mabey a bearing? so far I found a piston rings and topend gaskets at honda east for $149.15 and that number is gitting bigger We still need a price on a cam cam chain and guides is there anything I missing we honed the cylinder and measured it with a boar gauge and It looks ok. any help on a good cheap place for parts would be greatly appreciated thanks for looking :smirk: and I will keep you posted on the rebuild :rant:

012-1.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008-1.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

I think for oem parts service honda in Indiana,but there are probably others.I recently purchased a xr200 99 model so I'm following for build here.On the cam seems like if the chip is on the low part of lobe in a low load area it wouldn't be a problem but I'd have a hard time leaveing it too.

Bob

The XR185/XR200R cam is the most aggressive of the Honda cams for this engine.

I wouldn't worry about the "chip" in the cam, it might even be a casting flaw. Being on the edge of the heel the follower possibly misses it, and on the heel there is clearance between the follower and cam. A bigger concern is wear on the nose and the follower, and the cam bearings.

Nasty piston and the bore still has some scores in it.

For parts, most of them are available aftermarket and at substantial savings from OEM. With a little research you will find that most of the top end parts are available for other applications such as the ATC185/200 even though they may not be specifically listed for the XR.

If you do eBay and have a little patience, you should be able to find most of the parts, my last two 200 rebuilds used gaskets, cam chains, tensioners, guides and valves from eBay at significant savings, even picked up a spare wiseco piston for less than $10. When I need something quick, I have had great results with Dennis Kirk, you might have to look some parts up as an ATC200, but they have them.

Find the fiche for your model either here on TT or at another retail site and take note of what other models certain parts fit.

Cam looks usable, and the bearing surfaces do not look scored. Even to replace it, for the price stock is pretty good. Check the valve guides for wear and grind the seats or have it done by someone with the proper tools before replacing the valves.

I know others have had trouble with 1st gear, my problems have been with second and required a new drum and one fork. If you split the cases, check everything with factory specs.

ok after the tear down still not sure why it's not sifting right I need to get a manual http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958135 so I can measure everything I need the specs for the shift forks to check for wear I can feel a slight rock where the fork slides on the shaft & the shifting drum looks good I dont see any wear on it ... the cam measures at IN .278" & EX .260"

XR200R007.jpg

XR200R030.jpgXR200R029.jpgXR200R028.jpgXR200R025.jpgXR200R023.jpg Thanks for Lookin :smirk:

well I have almost everything now money's been tight 800.00+ I need some help some with part numbers first is a bushing for part #3 the 36t gear http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=187804&manufacturer=3&category=3&year=1991&model=4243

and then the roller bearing for the counter shaft to the right side case you can see it here but no part # it should be in the first link I would think on the end of the shaft

Edited by oakhillbiker

I rebuilt a 97 last year but it has a different case part number than the 91 but I think the bearing ID is the same because the counter shaft part numbers are the same, here is the issue.

The right end countershaft bearing is part of the right case assy, not available as a part.

The bearing is a small caged needle bearing, I took mine to a bearing supplier and got a standard metric replacement that was 2mm narrower. Unfortunately I didn't record the part number. But I have an open TLR200 engine and I measure the bearing and it is a 15x21x12 rolled cup needle bearing (HK #1512V2). My recollection is my 97 engine used a ground cup needle bearing with a 23mm OD, John Banfill had a similar experience on his rebuild: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10061207&postcount=8

A "rolled or drawn cup or race" bearing has a sheet metal shell that that is rounded on the ends, a

'ground race' bearing has a larger OD and often square ends.

Drawn cup

zhC9g3DDgpbqUmAbgmUHaLVSm9KS2T6wKMOKyMysYUdAEpZwHqNoORGmZhkI09SCbZ3a8w-ifmUWzk4UIrxthsfyXAl0GmbHaoo1tbXqr7g5NgICk5Q_jTFiD6tVl3jxatddvpgTD97VKFKgIwaIdMSc8CKQLi3Ui4lodMKS1p4ks6FIFJePTM6VAoMlzfpZdxKyNBRKMQc24WiSRlXQA4V-Sx3QbJ5bCbLTkXcPF9iC8XIlPe09-yeo0A

Ground

hdneedleroller_75.jpg

The bearings are easy to remove; after a solvent clean wash the case with hot water and soap (this is important to maintain kitchen privileges for future projects), heat the oven to 325F, place in oven with the mating surface down, with a cooky sheet on the rack below; 10 minutes and you will hear the bearings hit the cooky sheet. The little needle may not fall out so have a blind bearing puller handy. I use a slide hammer blind hole bearing puller (available from Harbor Freight) and the bearing comes out easy with a hot case.

Edited by chuck4788
Added rolled cup vs ground race.

The best sources for parts other than standard bearings and seals is Honda, your local dealer or TT are good sources. My recollection is the 36 tooth gear is first and has an integral bushing, there is a bushing for the kicker idler gear to the right.

Mabey I'll have to buy the whole gear to get it or a bearing supply place might be able to get one... Honda sure dropped the ball with these two things (counter shaft bearing and the bushing) I'm really surprised by this, when I started this rebuild I thought all the parts need to replace would be easy to get, well all the rest were but these two parts.

From mr understanding, hard to get into first gear is often a worn shift plate and 'star' wheel on the shift drum. Also the 'pin' on. The clutch cover plate wears and allows the shift shaft to float too much, making it worse

I had an issue where once the bike was at normal operating temp it would be nearly imposible to find 1stgear, almost like it was not even there any more. I replaced my shifter shaft, plate and star and it solved the problem.

I have an 83 xr200r and had two gears chipped. Ic could not find the individual gears. I am not sure on the website I used, but it told me, by part number, which bikes/atvs used that part. I actually bought the whole transmission for $40. Honestly that is your best bet. Nobody on ebay knows exactly what the parts are called from the factory.

Most of the parts from the six speed two valve transmissions are interchangeable, but a part fiche check should be done to verify because Honda used variations of these engines in a variety of different models.

However your 36 tooth first gear is used in all XR200s, XR200Rs, and TLR200s, but not the ATC, XL, or NX models.

Buying a complete tranny or counter shaft from ebay might be the cheapest. I've purchased several that way and while it is a risk I haven't got a bad one yet.biggrin.gif

well I bought this gasket but it didd'nt come with a rocker cover gasket and chapperall said the honda discontinued the part and no luck on ebay so if anybody knows where please post a link or let me know thanks.. We so are too close to being done and my son wants to ride