Sign in to follow this  

X vs. R

I have been told " Oh that's an enduro" - in reference to the CRF450X, as though it is far inferior to the CRF450R in terms of power. Now I can see where the R is probably more ... explosive shall we say - as it is a motocrosser and the X is tamer as it is intended for woods etc. However the CRF450X to me is a fsat bike and not "just an enduro" ...

The uninformed think anything with a light is an "enduro". For MX, worcs, gncc type racing the R might be better, close ratio, lighter, etc. but for trail riding and true off road the x can't be beat. That's my opinion having never ridden an R though.

My bike has become somewhat "universal" since its plated I can ride dual sport. I remove the front headlight/DS kit and slap a number plate on and go desert racing or race an enduro, might even try a G.P. this year. Would love to have an "R" or CR250 for racing but since I can only afford one bike my "universal" will work just fine.

Also the X tranny is a wide ration, the R is close.

I've owned both. Which one is better depends on what your doing. The R definately has firmer suspension so you had to pay attention in rocks and tree roots. For moto or hare scrambles I'd go with the R model. For trail riding, dual sport conversion or any situation where you'll be on the bike for more than a few hours the X model is more user friendly. Even though it supposedly has a "wide ratio transmission" it still runs out of fifth gear pretty quick even with taller gearing. I live in Western Virginia and the only riding we have around here are dirt roads in the GW national forest. You must be street legal in order to do that so I sold my R and bought an X and plated it. If I still lived in Flagstaff I'd of kept my R and revalved the suspension.

I also had both. I originally planned to keep both bikes but I lost interest in my R. As far as power goes, the R and X are pretty close at lower RPM. Above 7-8000 rpm the R goes in to a different world. I thought I would need more power with X but I'm a believer in usable power over more power. I might like another R if I spent more time on the sand dunes.

I dont know while I love the x, I gotta be honest with the lighter flywheel and lower weight the R is really much much more powerful than the x...

dont get me wrong I love riding the crfx, but man the R seems to be a completely different bike.. at least the ones I rode... No comparison for power or suspension

Just my .02

P.S I wouldnt call the x an enduro, I prefer offroad...

I went from an XR250R (graet playbike) to the CRF450X and talk about a world of difference! it seems my 450 can do anything, just point it! I still get back on my XR now and just for fun.

I dont know while I love the x, I gotta be honest with the lighter flywheel and lower weight the R is really much much more powerful than the x...

dont get me wrong I love riding the crfx, but man the R seems to be a completely different bike.. at least the ones I rode... No comparison for power or suspension

Just my .02

And this is where my 2001 CR500 or my 2007 CRF250F/CR500AF conversion come into play. Don't get me wrong, I love my 08 CRF450X, but if I am looking for straight raw power, a 500 smoker cannot be beat.

And this is where my 2001 CR500 or my 2007 CRF250F/CR500AF conversion come into play. Don't get me wrong, I love my 08 CRF450X, but if I am looking for straight raw power, a 500 smoker cannot be beat.

...accept at every off-road race in the country.

Nice hijack.

This is a slightly mad argument.

Enduro bikes are bikes that enduro riders win competitions on.If you are great at riding your 'x' in an enduro, and win races, then your bike is an enduro bike.

An 'Enduro' bike mutates every year as technology develops. 2 strokes are coming back into the world of Enduro (thanks to KTM) for one reason. They are light.

Any tight and technical enduros are going to favour 2 strokes. Faster, and straighter races are going to favour bikes like the 'X'. In the Enduro World Championships, there is an absolute absence of Honda's apart from Mika Ahola's variation of an 'R'.

A previous argument about the CR500 delivering more power is just macho madness. The reason no major manufacturers make 500cc 2 strokes, is because no one can put those horse power down into quick and usable riding. If anything, the world of enduro is seeing many more lower capacity bikes winning races. A good rider on a smaller capacity bike will 'eat' an average rider on a big bore machine. Technique is king!

As we are posting on the 450 X forum, it is interesting to note the absolute majority of folk who favour the tightening of the front end from 24mm to either 22 or 20mm. I guess as a democratic entity of 'X' riders, those of us who want to win races on our beloved Honda's, will create hybrids between the X and the R. Duel sporters have a different view though.............

There is no one bike for everything.

My 0.2 pence worth........

You can't convert all your 'raw power' into race wins. If you could, Honda would still be making them (as well as many others).

Go take a cold shower.

Why is a CRF450X an off road bike and not an enduro bike??

Just my .02

[/b]

Nice hijack.

You can't convert all your 'raw power' into race wins. If you could, Honda would still be making them (as well as many others).

Go take a cold shower.

Why is a CRF450X an off road bike and not an enduro bike??

First off, I was making a comment about power as mentioned by wanawakeboard. I was just making a comment referring to an "X" having less power, but that bike is not made for "R" power.

Secondly, I never once mentioned any type of race and neither did motosprtman. I said for straight raw power.... It is apparent that a couple of you make comments without reading everything so I will write it again so you might actually read one of the two statements... I said for straight raw power....

And Krannie, if you want to talk smack, don't try bashing someone while you use the wrong words.... The word that you meant to say was EXCEPT, not accept. Words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings are called homophones. Make cents (sense)?

Lubeking, I have offered many people to ride one of my 500's but I have only had a couple ACCEPT my offer as the majority were too scared. If people are too scared a ride a bike, they certainly won't purchase one. That probably has something to do with them no longer being made also....

Go lube something

As far as my 500's and my 450X go, they each shine in their own elements.

they are two completely different bikes and that is why I own more than one. I would not have purchased a new bike and still own it if I thought it sucked.

If you want to continue this, lets do so in another thread.

First off, I was making a comment about power as mentioned by wanawakeboard. I was just making a comment referring to an "X" having less power, but that bike is not made for "R" power.

Secondly, I never once mentioned any type of race and neither did motosprtman. I said for straight raw power.... It is apparent that a couple of you make comments without reading everything so I will write it again so you might actually read one of the two statements... I said for straight raw power....

And Krannie, if you want to talk smack, don't try bashing someone while you use the wrong words.... The word that you meant to say was EXCEPT, not accept. Words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings are called homophones. Make cents (sense)?

Lubeking, I have offered many people to ride one of my 500's but I have only had a couple ACCEPT my offer as the majority were too scared. If people are too scared a ride a bike, they certainly won't purchase one. That probably has something to do with them no longer being made also....

Go lube something

they are two completely different bikes and that is why I own more than one. I would not have purchased a new bike and still own it if I thought it sucked.

Hello Sugarshane!!

Greetings from Spain.

The original post was regarding wether the 'X' was regarded as an Enduro bike due to its power output.

I have been told " Oh that's an enduro" - in reference to the CRF450X, as though it is far inferior to the CRF450R in terms of power. Now I can see where the R is probably more ... explosive shall we say - as it is a motocrosser and the X is tamer as it is intended for woods etc. However the CRF450X to me is a fsat bike and not "just an enduro" ...

My post went a small way to explain what, in my opinion what is an enduro bike. There are slow enduro bikes, and fast enduro bikes. It probably would depend on who rides them. Yes, I would agree, that the R is different from the X. That is why R owners love their R's and X owners love their X's. And some, even like both. I am sure the pair are both great bikes.

I am also sure, that you must be one hell of a dirt bike hero if only 'a couple' would dare ride your CR500. I am sure I would never get out of first in fear of being eaten by its raw power.

Your trophy cabinet must be over flowing.

I envy your greatness.

I sold my '01 CR500 and ended up with my '07 450X.

I haven't ridden my 450X much yet but in the short time I have, I know it is much better suited to my style of (lazy) riding. It is easier, less tiring, and far more forgiving.

However, I still miss my 500 for the dunes. It's about the only place it would shine. Mine had mild porting, pipe/silencer, 39mm PWK, and was geared like the '80's bikes. Compared to my uncorked but otherwise stock 450X, the X is barely in the same ballpark power-wise.

I much, much prefer the 450X, but it is definitely NOT the quicker of the two bikes. The 500 won't be faster around any type of track, but in a straight line it isn't a contest. 500's are brutal.

Go lube something

Wow.

Way to go on trying to make some of us here look small.

Perhaps it backfired, eh?

Eighteen whole posts. Man o' man, you must be right.

CR500's are motorized couches. CR500AF's are great.

Comparing motorcycles without a competition is Banal.

Every bike made does something worse or better than some other bike.

Saying a bike 'is fast' is pointless. If you say 'I like it better than....' then we know it's your opinion. But when you say it like we should all know better, then, well, there's that smallness thing again..........

Are you so insecure that you had to hijack a thread just so you could talk about your bikes, when all the guy asked was why his friend are such tools?

Ooooh, perhaps that was it. You felt right at home with the tool-ness.

The CRFX is a Cross-country bike. Hence the designation "X".

The term 'Enduro' describes a form of MC competition.

Yamaha used the name on a bike 45 years ago, and it stuck, and somehow applied to any bike with lights.

The fact that someone is calling the X an 'Enduro' means they don't understand what an 'Enduro' is.

Perhaps they meant the X is a 'softer, gentler MX bike'. That it is.

I had an 06R before my 08X, and I'm still dam glad I made the switch. I'll take usable power over a higher HP number any day. The R wore me out in the slower technical stuff trying to tame the power down. The X has more low end grunt and I can get the front wheel up in any gear when need be. The only time I feel a need for more power is on really steep and long power climbs. I love my X! :smirk:

[/b]

Nice hijack.

So true! I've yet to see a two stroke finish in front of me in desert race.

But then again a nitro burning hill climber bike is FAST too but you don't see people riding them much. Kinda like the CR500 or big strokes. They're simply not useable for anything more than going straight or powering a chainsaw.

The CRF450X is just an enduro.

The CRF450R is just a track bike.

In my garage, I have a common hammer, a framing hammer, a sledge hammer, a dead-blow hammer, and a rubber mallet. I choose the best suited on for the task at hand when I feel the need for a hammer of sorts,a nd if something remotely close to being hammerworthy is even closer, sometimes I use it.

For anyone to say the CRF450R, for example, is "better" than something else, it depends on what they are trying to accomplish.

I saw a team run a CRF450R at Baja1000 one year. It was a dismal failure in so many ways.

But then again, the Baja1000 is just a race. :smirk:

I like my 450X and it is all the bike I will ever need. Seems plenty zippy to me! The 450X if introduced as a FI street legal dual sport I am afraid will be choked to death and as usual will need the uncorking process to make it run right.

The CR450L?