after fitting jd kit (inputs of you guys please?)

hey there guys,

k5 sm--egr/pair removed--full scorpion system--aftermarket air filter.

have fitted the jd kit--- blue needle 4th clip,160 main,extended fuel screw,and left the standard pj in there.im at sea level.

i have adjusted the fuel screw and had no issue with idle whatsoever or snapping the throttle back quick. its all so spot on and the difference is so noticable.........

the problem is this,

1st 2nd 3rd throttle max is spot on and really pulling alot harder than before.

after beginning/half way through 4th it starts to cough alot and really pop and slow down so bad,then 5th you just cant barely throttle unless you back of to nearly idle then try again very gradually

i dont understand why gear 1,2,3 isnt the exact same

am i right in saying the fuel screw adjusts idle and initial throttle?? and has nothing to do with wide open throttle....

thanks so much for any help,really would appreciate your input

hey there guys,

k5 sm--egr/pair removed--full scorpion system--aftermarket air filter.

have fitted the jd kit--- blue needle 4th clip,160 main,extended fuel screw,and left the standard pj in there.im at sea level.

i have adjusted the fuel screw and had no issue with idle whatsoever or snapping the throttle back quick. its all so spot on and the difference is so noticable.........

the problem is this,

1st 2nd 3rd throttle max is spot on and really pulling alot harder than before.

after beginning/half way through 4th it starts to cough alot and really pop and slow down so bad,then 5th you just cant barely throttle unless you back of to nearly idle then try again very gradually

i dont understand why gear 1,2,3 isnt the exact same

They should be. If the jetting were borderline lean, the heavier load in the upper gears would bring this out in the open. Does it make a difference if you are on a hill or a flat? Perhaps you have a loose wire that manifests itself at the different vidrations caused by the other gears. You do not have a restricted carb top on do you?

am i right in saying the fuel screw adjusts idle and initial throttle?? and has nothing to do with wide open throttle....

thanks so much for any help,really would appreciate your input

Yes, you are correct about the fuel screw.

If you just ride easy, can you run in 4th and 5th without a problem, sounds like it might be draining the float bowl.

Might be the breather in the fuel cap or it might be the float level, fuel tap obstruction but whatever it is, sounds like a fuel supply problem.

Good Luck.

Might also be a minor leak in the vacuum line to the petcock. Easy to test .. just flip the petcock to PRIME and give it a run. If everything works as it should, check the vacuum line for a pinhole or not a snug fit on either end. If it doesn't work, continue with the other items on the checklist.

Another item on the checklist should be to make sure there isn't a pinch in the fuel line.

Just to be clear, some of these items, like above, are to test for fuel starvation. Even at wide open throttle, there is less fuel demand in the lower gears. Your symptoms fit fuel starvation as one possibility. Thus the suggestions above to check float levels, etc.

...ken...

an update,

just to confirm my drz doesnt have the vacuum line to the petcock,just a feed from tank to carb

the plug looked light brown when pulled today before i went on secondary ride since jd kit fitted

before i went out i taped of some of the airbox(just under half of the 3x3)

went out on the bike and opened it up DOWNHILL in again in forth and 5th it bogged massively and it still did didnt want to run right coughing and jerking and seemed quite a bit worse than before i taped it of. got to the top again this time with filter out and tape removed and still did it.

1-3 gear is superb,after this it sucks.

i am thinking of just getting rid of the bike now.its getting to me alot and its a shame because this kit has done wonders for the bike other than this bogging.its like a different bike........

Why no vacuum line?

I'm curious. What are the positions on your petcock? Prime, On and Reserve? If so you lost a vacuum line somewhere... Maybe when all the smog stuff was pulled. Or do you have something different on yours?

an update,

just to confirm my drz doesnt have the vacuum line to the petcock,just a feed from tank to carb

the plug looked light brown when pulled today before i went on secondary ride since jd kit fitted

before i went out i taped of some of the airbox(just under half of the 3x3)

went out on the bike and opened it up DOWNHILL in again in forth and 5th it bogged massively and it still did didnt want to run right coughing and jerking and seemed quite a bit worse than before i taped it of. got to the top again this time with filter out and tape removed and still did it.

1-3 gear is superb,after this it sucks.

i am thinking of just getting rid of the bike now.its getting to me alot and its a shame because this kit has done wonders for the bike other than this bogging.its like a different bike........

So what are you saying, your bike does not have a vacuum fuel tape or it's missing the vacuum line to the fuel tap?

You have to supply more info if you want the guys here to help.

Either way you seem to give up pretty easy on what is probably a simple fix once we can eliminate a few simple things.

Just to start with, I would go back to square one and double check everything I did on the install along with a good clean of everything.

Then start checking the stuff that has been suggested and report back

If I gave up as easy as you, I would have stopped riding bikes 30 years ago.

For me and I think many others, thats the best part of these sort of bike, working through

a problem and learning something along the way, then going for a ride:banana:

there are some models that have a vacuum line that aids the fuel pressure or something like that.mine just has a fuel line from the tank to the carb.

i really dont understand why its happening in 4th gear and 5th.

i thought i would have an answer pretty quick after i blocked of part of the airbox and then trying with a removed the filter......thought one or the other would give me a result.

i havent ever heard of anybody having to adjust the float in the carb on a drz ???

kinda hoping eddie would have an input on my issue........

Mikey, you're not going to get any good help if you don't read the posts and answer the questions you're being asked. A couple of people have already asked you if you have a vacuum operated fuel petcock and you haven't answered.

You can tell if you have one by the markings on the petcock. If they say "Prime", "ON", "Reserve", you have a vacuum operated petcock. Lack of a vacuum line on this petcock will be trouble. And if you do have a vacuum operated petcock with no vacuum line, how are you getting it to run at all? Are you running it in the "Prime" position?

By the way, looking at the plug colour tells you nothing about your air/fuel mixture. Not unless you have found somewhere to buy leaded gas.

...ken...

kinda hoping eddie would have an input on my issue........

Eddie is wise but he still needs for you to supply information.

You still have not identified what type of fuel tap you have.

What you describe is a classic case of fuel starvation, deal with it.:smirk:

the petcock has no prime written on it at all.like a said it is the model with no vacuum line just line from tank to carb.....i am going to fit the 155 jet 2moro and go from there

Just for the hell of it, take the fuel line off the the tank and turn on the tap, fuel should run out freely this will confirm you have unimpeded fuel flow.

Take the carby off and confirm all your jet sizes and needle position and while your there clean it and blow it out with some compressed air, then check the float level.

i will do that thumpin,and i will clean out the filter thats on the inside of the tank.makesure theres no crap and bits in there

also i have just purchased a can of carb cleaner

will update u all tommorow.

thanks for that man

hey guys,

the problem is sorted

number 1...i blocked of the old solenoid feed that goes to the airbox as it was still dragging in air into the airbox through the bottom of carb.this obviously isnt good that it wasnt already blocked of.would have made it run leaner without me knowing

number 2...i replaced the main jet from a 160 to a 155.now it runs absolutley spot on with no issues at all.so glad i got it sorted and to celebrate went out for some riding fun with fragmasterkarl..

just wana say thanks to all you guys that took the time to post and help me.you know who you are.

another quick note

i am convinced the the non vacuum fuel tap(petcock) is 155 main jet ish---4th clip on blue needle jd kit

and for whatever reason on the vacuum fuel tap its 160 main jet ish---4th clip on blue needle jd kit

with following mods 3x3,full exhaust,jd jetting kit,pair/egr removed

i hope this helps somebody in the future

many thanks

michael