Safety wiring without cutting into grips?

I just applied new grips onto my Flexx Handlebars. I used gorrilla glue on the the left grip since my Flexx bars didnt have a knurled handle (it was smooth).

On my Throttle (which is a G2Erogonomics throttle tube) one of the quik turn throttles, it has knurls in it for grip support. So on this side I didnt use glue cause I figured it would be to hard to clean out of the diamond knurls in the tube when these grips wore out. So I just used some 3M brake parts cleaner spray and sprayed some in the grip and a little on the throttle tube.

I have never used carb spray or cleaner or gas before when putting grips on so I thought I would try it. Anyways I want to use safety wire for added support but seems like every time I have used it in the past they want to cut into the grip.

I try not to get it to tight but to get it tight enough to hold the grip in place so it wont move,you just about have to sinch it down to where it starts to cut into the grip.

I was thinking about doubleing the wire so its not as narrow so it wouldnt cut into the grip. has anyone every tried that before? Double the wire (to make it wider) then twist it on. I think this way it makes the wire cover a wider patch on the grip so it wont be as apt to cut into the grip.

that would work. or you can try a thicker wire,but not to thick. What kind of grips are you using? I usually like the pro taper pillow tops, they have a hard spot on the inside and at the end of the grip where you can use safety wire.

i double or even triple wrap the wire to keep it from cutting the grip. it makes a difference

i got a pair of safety wire pliers earlier this winter and when i went to put on my new grips i just sprayed some spray paint in them, slid them on and had so much fun using the pliers that i put the wire in 5 spots on each grip. i think its safe to say they going anywhere. theyre the pillow tops too

that would work. or you can try a thicker wire,but not to thick. What kind of grips are you using? I usually like the pro taper pillow tops, they have a hard spot on the inside and at the end of the grip where you can use safety wire.

I put the Scott MX 2's on (Half Waffel). I had the Pro taper's and started to put them on but I thought they would be to soft and cause me some blisters so I opted to put the Scotts on.

i double or even triple wrap the wire to keep it from cutting the grip. it makes a difference

I went and checked the grips awhile ago and the throttle side where I sprayed the 3M break cleaner on the throttle tube and then in the grip is on pretty secure with no slipping issues toward end or at the last half inch of the grip at the end.

On the clutch side where i used Gorilla glue the grip is solid everywhere all but a half inch section at the end. I think the glue may have spread away from that part while I was putting it on I will check again shortly.

May have to pull that one off again and clean out the glue from the inside of the grip and try the 3M on it.

I will do the double or triple wire thing.

Try aquanet hair spray. It will lube on and stick when dry. As far as safety wire goes, I have a lot of experience using it and when using it on grips, you are basically using it for friction and you will have to make it tight enough to squeeze it on to the bars which basically means there will be some cutting into the grip.

The heck with safety wire, I discovered ODI lock on grips and I won't use anything else. They clamp to the bars with small allen screws and come with a new throttle tube for $20. :smirk:

The heck with safety wire, I discovered ODI lock on grips and I won't use anything else. They clamp to the bars with small allen screws and come with a new throttle tube for $20. :smirk:

I checked my grips and the throttle side that I used the 3M break cleaner on is stuck good also the clutch side that I glued was stuck good everywhere.

I then took safety wire and went around the grip twice at three different spots so when sunday gets here and i go ride (Finally after 3 months due to snow/cold) high 60 for sunday,those grips will be solid as a rock.