Tips on bike selling?

I want to sell my 06 yz450 and was wondering what I should do to prepare it for a sale.

it has no graphics with the stock blue plastics, would it be worth it for me to put a graphics kit with a clean set of plastics on it? as it is it not very flashly.

the frame and sub frame are in solid condition and it starts fine, should I just try and sell it the way it is??

Unfortunately some buyers just care about how it looks and if it starts on the first couple kicks. A graphic kit would probably help it sell faster but if you don't need the money asap, then sooner or later it will sale if its in good condition and mechanically sound

Go on ebay and find a cheap set of leftover graphics that look nice. You can pick up new graphics all day long for $20-$30, they are totally worth it. People can say that appearance doesn't help, but a clean good looking bike will always sell faster and for more money than one that looks like it was put away wet, even if they are in the same mechanical shape.

Make it as clean as you can. If you have any maintanance records keep them at hand. Make sure you can get your money out of it if you have to put new tires on it. Remember the used bike market is kinda soft right now.

unless you are seeling it a hardcore metal mulisha guy...then find as close to stock graphics as possible. most people want it to like as close to a stock as possible.

Clean airbox is good idea and the new grips also helps.

thanks for the reply guys, im gonna try and find a cheap good looking set of platics/graphics. i usually throw new grips on bikes im selling so ill do that too. chain and sprokets are new so thats good and the bike looks pretty clean.

What kind of price can I ask for??? im thinking around $2,500

This is just a sidenote to your bike prep question, but the way you present your ad is a big deal. You seem to have punctuation under control which puts you ahead of most craigslisters. Poor attention to detail in an ad doesn't necessarily mean poor attention to detail in maintenance--but that's where the smart money bets. And when I spy 3 brokedown ATVs in background of the pix, well, you get the point.

This is just a sidenote to your bike prep question, but the way you present your ad is a big deal. You seem to have punctuation under control which puts you ahead of most craigslisters. Poor attention to detail in an ad doesn't necessarily mean poor attention to detail in maintenance--but that's where the smart money bets. And when I spy 3 brokedown ATVs in background of the pix, well, you get the point.

Oh good thing you mentioned this because I was planning on taking pictures of it in my garage next to the heaps pistons with holes in them and cracked radiators... :rant::smirk:

factory fx has graphics for on clearance.. not sure if there are any for your bike left but I bought a set yesterday for my 230 for 19 bucks

evo 6 (old but I dont care)

adding stuff to make the sale depends on how much your asking and how fast you want to sell it...

another member told me about the sale...

I prefer the stock graphics on used bike purchases. A smart buyer will check the air filter and ask about an oil and filter change. As mentioned already fresh grips are a plus.

This is a good thread. I'll be selling my RMZ250 here once the weather gets much nicer out.

i agree with above regarding making the bike look clean, fresh and ready to ride. a hundred bucks on your end spent on grips, levers, plastics ect will, if not come back to you in the sale, will at least help move the sale along.

the main thing i am looking for when purchasing a used bike, other than the bike, is the owner. I want to see a nice clean garage, clean cars, yard, kids ect. if the guy doesn't take care of his car and house, he probably does not take care of his bike either. make sure YOU look like a responsible motorcyclist. bikes can be cleaned up to hide things but your credibility is what will make the sale.

$2500 sounds pretty fair, good luck.

One cleaning tip that really works is to use tire foam. Spray it on the engine area, and cover everything. You can use a toothbrush to get all the nooks and crannies. It cleans well and also makes all of the tubes and hoses look fresh, new and shiny. It works great.

It's tough to know how much you can put into it and get your money back. You'll have to use your best judgement there. But, alot of good recommendations have been given in this thread already.

Good luck!

Yes, tire shine is a good idea. I use it on my bike after I wash/dry it. Never use it on the sport bike though...tire shine equals meeting pavement. lol

Yes, tire shine is a good idea. I use it on my bike after I wash/dry it. Never use it on the sport bike though...tire shine equals meeting pavement. lol

LOL, good call there.

On my YZ, I actually spray it on, scrub, then spray it off with the hose. You'd think that spraying it off would take the shine off of the hoses, but for some reason it doesn't.

Looks super clean!

I would take off the wheels, bars, seat, plastics, tank, subframe, basically everything and fine tooth comb clean everything. It can be a pain, but I always have fantastic luck cleaning everything! I also check wheel bearings, steering head bearings, and grease all pivot points, linkages, bearings. I clean the hound out of every single part, nut, and bolt. If you use Craiglist then Larger pictures really help. I always throw photobucket pics up as well as the small pics to have the IMG code on the link. I list everything in order from mods, to type of oils and gas, to types of grease used, brake fluid, to just seem really anal about my bike.... Well I am, but it makes the bike seem more appreciated. When I list mods, and things like that I list them from the front wheel back in order being very neat. I also always put a reason why I am selling the bike, because here in the south everyone needs to know your business lol. Good luck man

Ps Graphics are a selling point.

Whatever you do DO NOT say in your ad "too many aftermarket parts to list". I see that all the time. That's being lazy. If you wanna sell your bike why not list everything about it? And make sure you have pictures. When I'm looking at ads I normally just click on ads with pictures unless I see something priced really cheap.

I don't like flashy graphics so i'd try to stick with some stock ones or something low key. Power wash the bike, get it spotless. New grips are a plus so good idea there.

Craigslist ads- i know when i am looking for bikes if people can't seem to put a sentence together with correct spelling and punctuation i'm immediately leery. Someone who can't follow basic grammar rules is probably equally careless with their bike and maintaining it. I'm also leery of two sentence descriptions and fuzzy/no pictures. We've all seen it: "Hoonda 125 newer tires new breaks needs sum work cal me lets talk can txt pics"

Be complete, but not over-bearing. You can always give all the details over the phone or in person. Good pictures are a must. They give you space for 4 pics, use them all. Be honest- if somethings broken, scratched, etc put it in the description. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone doesn't tell me about all that stuff and i waste an hour or two going to look at a bike that ends up being a POS.

The bike market isn't good right now, so be prepared to sell it a little below what it's really worth. I have a vintage bike up now that's worth $2,400 and everyone keeps offering me $1000. Consider posting that you'll take a trade, and list what bikes you'd accept (and in what condition). Right now i'm negotiating a trade on my bike because i can't get anyone to pay me what it's worth. It'd be nice to have the money but if i can get another cool bike out of it i'll be happy.

Good luck.