Sign in to follow this  

Where to set adjustment screw on bottom of carb

Hey guys, I'm working on a 2008 SXF 250 for a friend, we found the the adjusting screw that threads in from the bottom of the carb had fell out.We ordered a new one but I was wondering where to start from on how many turns out from tight. I guessed 1 1/2 turns out, but wanted to ask because this is my first KTM thats not a EXC. Any help would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Cody

Make sure you install the spring, washer & 'o' ring also. Set it to 2 1/4 turns initially, then tune it properly. Do a quick search for pilot jet/fuel screw adjustment.

around 2 turns is the start, and as said the washer and o-ring have to be there too or it wont idle right cuz it will be sucking air

Thanks fellas, I put it in for him last night. And started it at 2 turns and left it. It was rode for roughly a hour and a half and he called and said it fell back out, any ideas on whats causing it to loosen itself? would stretching the spring help?

is the o-ring and washer in it too? The o-ring gives some resistance along with preloading the spring. If it was all there then the hole must be worn or too big for some reason.

Yeah i had them both in, it seem to thread in there with no problem. Althought I did notice it seemed to wiggle a little bit, but I thought it was the hole carb wiggling. I know with bolts if the hole is worn they usally seem to be a little difficult to start the thread. The guy found one on internet that has a knob and a safety wire in case it does fall out. Seems like a good idea but I hate for him to pay $75 when there maybe a simpler less expensive fix. Any ideas if it sounds like the hole worn? Or how I could check it?

Thanks for all help so far.

Yeah i had them both in, it seem to thread in there with no problem. Althought I did notice it seemed to wiggle a little bit, but I thought it was the hole carb wiggling. I know with bolts if the hole is worn they usally seem to be a little difficult to start the thread. The guy found one on internet that has a knob and a safety wire in case it does fall out. Seems like a good idea but I hate for him to pay $75 when there maybe a simpler less expensive fix. Any ideas if it sounds like the hole worn? Or how I could check it?

Thanks for all help so far.

Sounds expensive for $20 external fuel screw and a piece of locking wire.

If you are using an OEM screw, try this......Set your pilot to the correct setting. Get a piece of silicone tubing (overflow pipe or whatever) that is a tight fit in the hole in the float bowl. Push this up, after you have it set. Leave about a 1/4" out the bottom for easy removal. You can put a pen mark on the tube level with the bowl, so you can tell if there is any outward movement, but there shouldn't be.