Sign in to follow this  

Replacing Swingarm/Linkage Bearings??

Hey guys, I figured I should probably replace the swingarm and shock linkage bearings on my 04 YZ 250 that I'm rebuilding after I took it apart and they are shot. (Working on bike in the middle of snowmobile race season *** am I doing ha ha) I've never done this before so any tips on doing this??

Thanks!!

Cody

Hey guys, I figured I should probably replace the swingarm and shock linkage bearings on my 04 YZ 250 that I'm rebuilding after I took it apart and they are shot. (Working on bike in the middle of snowmobile race season *** am I doing ha ha) I've never done this before so any tips on doing this??

Thanks!!

Cody

Get a manual and tear in bud... really not all that hard. Dont stress over it too much. Its probably a 1-2 hr job if youve never done it before. It can be done a little quicker once your familiar with the parts.

I had actually just done mine a couple weeks back on my 125. What you may have to do is use a press and the right size socket to get the old bearings out (i had to anyways). If you do this it helps to use a little heat on the linkage assembly to help loosen the bond with the bearings you are trying to press out and try not to use too much pressure or you may break something.

Even when you use your manual, make sure you focus on the order everything comes out. I lay the old parts out so i can use them as reference for how it goes back together (seal. spacer,needle bearings, for example) Take your time it isnt bad at all.

i am about to do the same thing. im rebuldin an '01 yz 125 from the ground up. just did motor/drivetrain. got a "like new" rear shock coming my way thanks to a very generous member here on TT. The bike has never had the linkage regreased or maintained (almost 100% sure). so this should be interesting. I have never removed swingarm/linkage, but I am pretty decent when it comes to repairs. is there anything else i should look out for or that i should know. i have a manual, and would like to know the most important steps to this process. thanks again :smirk:

A acetylene torch is you new friend!

Fast heat on the outside and knock em out with a big socket and extension.

i am about to do the same thing. im rebuldin an '01 yz 125 from the ground up. just did motor/drivetrain. got a "like new" rear shock coming my way thanks to a very generous member here on TT. The bike has never had the linkage regreased or maintained (almost 100% sure). so this should be interesting. I have never removed swingarm/linkage, but I am pretty decent when it comes to repairs. is there anything else i should look out for or that i should know. i have a manual, and would like to know the most important steps to this process. thanks again :smirk:

IMO the most important steps are using a clean work area, pay attention to the order everything comes out in, be careful when seating your new bearings (damaging the outside edge from pressing the bearing in can put the needle bearings in a bind) pack new bearings in marine grease.

You dont need a press, just a solid bench vice. Its actually easier and faster to use the vice as I have done it both ways. You push the old bearings out with a socket with the same OD as the bearing. You put a bearing on the other side with an ID larger than the OD of the bearings to allow the pressed out bearings somewhere to go.

so i took off the shock and swing arm. i took out the plastic seals, the washers, etc. the only thing that is giving me a real hard time is the actual bearings inside. i tried using sockets/vice to press them out, they wont budge, i am afraid of damaging the inside of the aluminum swing arm. there are two bearings in each side of the swing arm (4 total). one on each side (2 of 4) weren't spinning at first like the other two. so i used p'blaster and eventually got them to spin like the other two. they must of been rusted to hell, but i got em moving. now i am tryin to get them out and it seems impossible. what should i do? :thumbsup:

now i am tryin to get them out and it seems impossible. what should i do? :smirk:

Use plenty of heat!!! :thumbsup:

so i took off the shock and swing arm. i took out the plastic seals, the washers, etc. the only thing that is giving me a real hard time is the actual bearings inside. i tried using sockets/vice to press them out, they wont budge, i am afraid of damaging the inside of the aluminum swing arm. there are two bearings in each side of the swing arm (4 total). one on each side (2 of 4) weren't spinning at first like the other two. so i used p'blaster and eventually got them to spin like the other two. they must of been rusted to hell, but i got em moving. now i am tryin to get them out and it seems impossible. what should i do? :thumbsup:

tust me on this one....i have an 03 yz250f...all of the bearing are shot.there all super rusty.i took them all out with a hammer and a socket that was big enough to fit around the whole bearing.what you want to do is spray a good lube in there,let it sit for a minute and then get your socket and hammer(mallet would be better) and hit it very hard!numerous times.it wil come out that way,believe me.at first with my bike i would hit it semi-hard but continuously as if i was pounding in a nail and it just wasnt doing it.so i figured i would just hit the socket "as hard as i could" and right when i started to do that i started to see the bearing move.after about 15-25 hard hits,they came out :smirk: i suggest a mallet because with a hammer its easier to miss the socket and you can end up damaging your parts.i was very careful,i layed a towel around the area that would get damaged if i missed.i would do the same even if you use a mallet.goodluck:thumbsup:

Edited by howard113

Wanna know the easy way? Rip out all the needles in the bearing with a pick. Now all you have to remove is the bearing race. Then take a die grinder with a straight carbide burr (a nice set can be had at sears for like 25 bucks).

Work the bit back and forth in a straight line across the race. As soon as it breaks through the whole race pops right out.