Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Compensating for incorrect spring rates by softening clickers???

So I'm a 20 year old college student who lives on my own. Need I say more? (I'm broke...). A suspension re-valve and spring swap is not in my immediate budget. I am a solid B class rider, and have an '09 kx250f. The suspension has had NOTHING done to it since I bought it, besides having the race sag set. I weigh 143, without gear on, and approx. 155 with gear on.

SO my question is, since I can't afford to do the proper thing (change to a softer spring rate), I have been fiddling around with my clickers every practice to try and get the most out of the bike. The past 2 weeks I had them set pretty neutral, which was way too harsh for my liking, and created a choppy, unpredictable, arm-pump initiating experience. So last night I got fed up with the "recommended" settings, and softened everything by 4 clicks each. The bike handled better through the chop, but I felt like I lowered the bike 5 inches while under hard acceleration, plus it seemed to bottom out pretty hard on big jumps/ didn't give me that "kick" I was used to, and made it feel more like I was just soaking it all up and lobbing through the air horizontally.

I was just wondering if this was bad for the bike/should be avoided, or if I can get away with trying to over-soften everything to compensate for my springs being too stiff. Or am I just going from having the wrong spring rates, to having the wrong spring rates AND messing up my suspension performance?

Thanks in advance!

PS- my static sag is 47.625 mm

haven't been able to check my race sag since I set it 4 months ago...

but I know the recommended static is 40-43mm.

what should I do? I need to compromise somehow. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Look for the right spring on ebay, that would be the best option. Without the correct spring, you will never have a good working suspension. You can get away with stock valving just fine if you get the spring rate right. Adjusting the clickers doesn't really do the same thing as spring rate b/c a spring gets stiffer as it compresses regardless of the speed at which it is compressed. The clickers change the damping, which is dependent on the speed that the shock is compressing. The spring and damper work together, you can't really use one to account for lack of the other and get it to work properly.

yeah.....thats what I figured. :smirk::banghead::rant: I can change my shock, but to be totally honest I don't even want to get into doing the forks...I have a bad habit of being too confident, taking stuff apart, then not having the proper tools to do it right/get it back together. I guess I'll just have to suffer until I can afford to get er done right. Thanks for the response though!!

My son is 14 and rides a '09 YZ250F with the stock spring rates, what ever they are. He is almost 6' and weighs about 140lbs no gear. He says the suspension is perfect and he jumps the hell out of that thing. Doubles, triples, stepups, 100' tabletops you name it. I have his race sag at 100mm and the free is about 30mm. Maybe the YZ has softer spring rates.

If the springs are wrong there is little you can do. There is no CHEAP way to go about setting up suspension correctly.

Instead of going softer springs...just start working out with weights and bulk up some muscle to get your weight closer to 165.

workin on it! haha

If the springs are wrong there is little you can do. There is no CHEAP way to go about setting up suspension correctly.

yeah, I know. Its frustrating because I've grown up racing since I was 3. Had a lot going for me, parents supporting me, taking me to nationals, sponsorship offers, then I broke my arm in 4 places, was out for months, parents hit rough times, had to sell the bikes to pay mortgage, and that was it.

Now I'm back to doing what I love, and I realize that you HAVE to have money to ride. End of story. So I make due with what I have.

You have to filter all the advice you get because most of it is wrong. The thing you should do is remove fork oil. Do it in increments of 5mm at a time. You will notice that it gets plusher.

if your one rate off or on the bubble you could either stiffen or soften the clickers.........if your more than one rate off you will be chasing your tail.........nothing can compensate for spring rates..........springs are super cheap so dont know why you wouldnt just put the correct ones in.........used springs are all over the place and you can change out one spring in the fork to get your rate

if your one rate off or on the bubble you could either stiffen or soften the clickers.........if your more than one rate off you will be chasing your tail.........nothing can compensate for spring rates..........springs are super cheap so dont know why you wouldnt just put the correct ones in.........used springs are all over the place and you can change out one spring in the fork to get your rate

as I said before, I do not even want to get into taking my forks apart. I know I can do it, but with school, work, and everything else that occupies my time, my bike would be sitting in the garage torn apart for weeks on end before I finished. Although I am only one rate off. I've talked to a local suspension rep for mx-tech suspension, and he said if I took it in, they'd just go one spring rate lighter all the way around. I'll just make due with the clicker situation, and possibly filter some oil out of the forks if I can afford a syringe or whatever it takes to easily do that.

You have to filter all the advice you get because most of it is wrong. The thing you should do is remove fork oil. Do it in increments of 5mm at a time. You will notice that it gets plusher.

thanks for the advice man. Yeah, I take everything online with a grain, maybe two grains actually, of salt. haha. I'll look into doing that though.