Split my first set of cases! Now i need help

I got everything split and stuff just fine. However when i was splitting it the bearings came off with the crank. Both of the bearings are stuck to the crank. They look as though one of them melted. From what other people are telling me (i posted this last night over in the "general section") I MAY need a new case since the bearings came out. Is there any way to tell if i will need a new set of cases? One thing i noticed is how the cases looked almost scorched around the crank area. any help is greatly appreciated.

2011-02-10_23-59-15_595.jpg

2011-02-10_23-58-40_574.jpg

I got everything split and stuff just fine. However when i was splitting it the bearings came off with the crank. Both of the bearings are stuck to the crank. They look as though one of them melted. From what other people are telling me (i posted this last night over in the "general section") I MAY need a new case since the bearings came out. Is there any way to tell if i will need a new set of cases?

You may need a new crankshaft because the bearings are toast. Did the bearings spin on the crank? Did they spin in the cases? If the cases aren't damaged, I don't know why they'd need to be replaced. I'm not sure about the crank, but if the crank bearings are bad the big and small end rod bearings should be examined very carefully.

You may need a new crankshaft because the bearings are toast. Did the bearings spin on the crank? Did they spin in the cases? If the cases aren't damaged, I don't know why they'd need to be replaced. I'm not sure about the crank, but if the crank bearings are bad the big and small end rod bearings should be examined very carefully.

Yea I think the crank may be salvageable, but I have already bought a new complete bottom end rebuild kit. So i plan on replacing the crank and bearings, its just im not sure how to tell if i need a new set of cases or not. How can you tell if they spun on the bearing or spun in the case?

the bearing almost always comes off with the crank, at least in my experience. did the bearing lock up and spin in its bore? you covered up the part of the bearing i need to see, and i cant see much in the bearing bore because of the angle youre at, but what i can see looks fine. if not why would you think the bore is bad? metal is not wood, its doesnt turn brown when heated, its just burnt on oil, yes it got hot from that bearing, but should be fine. try to take some better pics, see if the bearing is still a press fit into the case, or does it just go in and out by hand?

although these arnt ball bearing the same applys

new, loooks like the races of a ball bearing

P30511289-for-web.307184542_sq_thumb_m.jpg

severely spun

spun_bearing.307183525_sq_thumb_m.jpg

what happens when meatl surfaces slide across each other at gread speeds and forces? grinding, destuction etc, should be obvious

Your cases look fine to me.Clean them up and see if the bearings is tight in there and will require pressing in if so you are good to go. Press in the seals and then press the bearings.

BTW the bearings stay on the crank most of the time.

Ed

my bearings stayed in the cases,2 of them.