Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Sanders Study

So I just got done reading his study and found the information helpful. Its posted HERE. But I think he should of also asked about if those wearing braces and suffered injuries also broke their femur or tib/fib. Thats a point that I see brought up quite often in those debates and think it could of been very helpful information for some one considering purchasing knee braces to see real statistical evidence for.

A couple of years ago there is a post By Dr. Marc stating that knee Braces do more dammage than good.Now he shows a study which is miniscule saying that knee braces actually do help. Make up your mind. That being said I always wore knee braces top of the line until last year when i broke my femur Probably because of wearing knee braces.

A couple of years ago there is a post By Dr. Marc stating that knee Braces do more dammage than good.Now he shows a study which is miniscule saying that knee braces actually do help. Make up your mind. That being said I always wore knee braces top of the line until last year when i broke my femur Probably because of wearing knee braces.

Before doing the study, he thought that over the counter knee braces didn't help prevent knee injuries but could contribute to an upper leg injury. That is what he stated in his hypothesis.

The study concluded that wearing knee braces do help prevent knee injuries. It says nothing about upper leg injuries, which may still be more risky with knee braces.

Dr. Sanders is well known here in the Houston area. Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I know a lot of motocrossers in the Houston area that have loved to quote Dr. Sanders previous statements regarding knee braces and how they did more harm than good. I have been wearing just knee guards and just bought a pair of Asterisks about 3 days ago, haven't even worn them yet. I have been wanting a pair for a while but it's a lot of money so I just got them. I know there are going to be lots of opinions, just like the neck braces, but I like the article and hopefully adds a little proof they do help.

Now, do they help protect the knee at a cost to other bones? I would think that an injury severe enough to break a femur would have done a lot of damage to the knee or more if one had not been wearing a knee brace. I guess the argument never stops because then there are opinions on which is worse, knee or femur, when the femur can be life threatening.

Dr. Sanders is well known here in the Houston area. Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I know a lot of motocrossers in the Houston area that have loved to quote Dr. Sanders previous statements regarding knee braces and how they did more harm than good. I have been wearing just knee guards and just bought a pair of Asterisks about 3 days ago, haven't even worn them yet. I have been wanting a pair for a while but it's a lot of money so I just got them. I know there are going to be lots of opinions, just like the neck braces, but I like the article and hopefully adds a little proof they do help.

Now, do they help protect the knee at a cost to other bones? I would think that an injury severe enough to break a femur would have done a lot of damage to the knee or more if one had not been wearing a knee brace. I guess the argument never stops because then there are opinions on which is worse, knee or femur, when the femur can be life threatening.

I completely agree, I just thought it would be an interesting part to add in. Its tough to say for me on knee braces though, I have seen what really bad knee injuries can do to a person. My uncle, whos now 50 blew out his entire knee 10 years ago jumping down from sitting on a stupid 4 foot fence. Hes been through 4 surgeries and to a handful of doctors and he can barely walk still. Heavy lifting is pretty much out of the question too.

I still can't make up my mind... After seeing my dad tear his ACL and bust up some other stuff in his knee and me being in pain for 6 weeks with a tweaked MCL, I want to get some POD k700 knee braces but then got put off by reading about breaking other bones in the thread back in 2005 or whenever it was by Dr. Mark saying knee braces are bad. Now reading his latest statistics on them overall helping a bit, I don't know!!

What am I supposed to do? Dr. Mark, can you answer this?

I wear Asterik braces. Not due to prior injury, or really to even prevent injury, but mainly because my A-class enduro friends said that it would make me a better rider, and allow me to stand more with less effort and fatigue, by transferring some weight from knee to boot.

I think it's true, and now I feel rather naked without them.

Even without braces, you need to have some kind of knee pad impact protection.

Anyhow, I had a minor crash a few months ago, and my leg was stuck under the bike for a minute. I got up and went on my way. I didn't notice until the next day that the brace upper frame was smashed. Could have been my thigh bone. Asterik fixed for free.