Sign in to follow this  

Am I missing something?

I just received 2007 Klr650 and it is great! The guy I bought it from did all the right mods and I just put on some 606s for out here in the desert and just had a blast! Everyone around here complains about how much they hate riding in the sand on their KLRs. I'm 6'0'' 200 lbs. and had no problems out there. Agreed, it is not a dirt bike, more like a snow mobile. I love the nice wide comfy seat! My question is, How much can these bikes take? Can you over ride them? Will the frame crack in half? Bend the forks? Will bottoming out the swing arm as you skip across the woops kill it? Thanks

Skipping across whoops??? You might want a KLX 650 or XR 650L instead.

I think you can over ride a stock KLR. It was designed as a dual sport: it will work on the street and dirt, but it will not be the best on either. It is very capable in the dirt and rocks, but it's weight works against it. The suspension is not the best for high speed desert blitzes either.

I love my KLR 650, and I have taken it on some fairly tough trails, but I do know it's limits.

Jesse

Thanks for the reply Jesse, I've got other bikes that are much better suited for the desert. I hope I can find the proper limits to push it with out anything catastrophic occurring. I'll try not to get carried away.

Spring the KLR for your weight and ride it like a dirt bike in dirt bike type terrain like sand and it does fine. You have to keep your speed up because it IS so heavy, but it will do it.

I took mine out to the Canadian River near me before my TAT trip, to get accustomed to its handling in sand. I thought for sure I'd be picking it up most of the day, but it didn't happen. Definately takes some manhandling tho.

check the fork oil... most are low, which makes the front soft. 10 wt. or ATF works fine with the level set to 170mm. Pull the springs, collapse the forks, fill to 170... this is what the original setting was when the bike was designed, somewhere along the line it was changed to 190mm. It makes a huge difference on brake dive and stability. Some use a bit of air on top.... I used 10psi on top of 165mm for years & was very happy. I now have Ricor valves & they are the best. Might consider a fork brace too.

I don't know what would be involved with installing forks like that. If they were a simple bolt up without special machining, might be worth doing.

The hot "drop in/bolt on " system when I upgraded my suspension a few years ago was the Cogent Dynamics fork springs and Race Tech Emulators for the front, along with a fork brace and the Cogent Dynamics Moab shock. Ride and handling for technical off road work is much improved.

I've done USD forks off of a YZ on a KLR... it was pretty good, but need some machine work to make it happen. DRZ forks have been done too (by others). KLX forks are supposed to be the easiest swap. The best easy solution is Ricor valves for the front.... really makes a difference, and they just drop in... no real work involved.

Cogent on the back if you have the bucks.

P.S. any other forks will require mods for the instrument cluster. The speedo will not work (different front wheel), etc. I used an Acewell on mine... way better than the Trailtech I had on another bike.

P.P.S. after owning and riding Ricor valved and USD equipped KLRs side by side I would not bother swapping forks again.