2t oil

I was wondering if you had to use one type of oil through a 2t bike. I know if you already use synthetic oil you should stay with it. The oil I was originally using was amsoil ans its kinda hard to find.

I am also wondering how many links are on a 01 yz 125

Are you talking the premix oil or transmission oil?

Changing premix brands is fine and you don't have to stay with a synthetic if that's what you ran in the past. Just note that different oils have different viscosities and a heavier oil is normally mixed at a higher ratio than a lighter viscosity oil. For example, I run Lucas, which is pretty light, so I mix it at 24:1 for my race bikes. If I was running a much heavier oil, such as Motul 800, I would run it at 40:1.

The only thing you can't do is mix castor oil with anything else, but that's not a big issue because castor oils are rare these days.

Changing premix brands is fine and you don't have to stay with a synthetic if that's what you ran in the past. Just note that different oils have different viscosities and a heavier oil is normally mixed at a higher ratio than a lighter viscosity oil. For example, I run Lucas, which is pretty light, so I mix it at 24:1 for my race bikes. If I was running a much heavier oil, such as Motul 800, I would run it at 40:1.

The only thing you can't do is mix castor oil with anything else, but that's not a big issue because castor oils are rare these days.

Viva la 927!!! :smirk::rant:

Viva la 927!!! :smirk::rant:

Yep, and Klotz has their castor BeNOL. I used BeNOL when I ran Methanol in a KX250. Smelled good and ran fast but not a setup that many know how to put together without blowing up parts.

98% of the other stuff you can buy is petroleum based and/or synthetic. Those oils mix readily.

SuperTech. Available at your finer Wal Mart Supercenters. Goes in the tank and tranny. :smirk:

SuperTech. Available at your finer Wal Mart Supercenters. Goes in the tank and tranny. :smirk:

The SuperTech oils are good. Their two stroke oil is thin, to be injector compatible, so it needs to be used at lower ratios.

Yep, and Klotz has their castor BeNOL. I used BeNOL when I ran Methanol in a KX250. Smelled good and ran fast but not a setup that many know how to put together without blowing up parts.

98% of the other stuff you can buy is petroleum based and/or synthetic. Those oils mix readily.

Methanol? I bet that did run well. :smirk:

Methanol? I bet that did run well. :smirk:

It picked up 9hp. It ran strong but maintaining Methanol bike is a lot of work.

I just bought the bike so I just finished the mix that was still in it and I feel pretty stupid for not buying anymore. The guy I bought the bike from said he was running it 90:1 with the amsoil dominator blend. Not to sound stupid, but fuel ratios (90:1) means 90 gallons of fuel to 1 gallon of oil. I'm also just going to be using normal gas and oil mix since I can't really get racing fuel.

90:1? Wow, that's quite a ratio to use.

I just bought the bike so I just finished the mix that was still in it and I feel pretty stupid for not buying anymore. The guy I bought the bike from said he was running it 90:1 with the amsoil dominator blend. Not to sound stupid, but fuel ratios (90:1) means 90 gallons of fuel to 1 gallon of oil. I'm also just going to be using normal gas and oil mix since I can't really get racing fuel.

You should be fine with premium (91-93) pump gas

Get a Ratio Rite to help with knowing just how much oil to use with a specific quanity of gas. Takes out the guess work and eliminates potential errors.

As far as brand of oil goes, I have used Maxima 927 @ 60:1 since day one in my 200XCW. When the jug was pulled off at 60 hours, everything was as clean as a whistle. The rings were even still in spec. Plus, with the 927, you get "that smell". Whatever you do, just use a good quality oil, check and make sure your jetting is right, and stay with it. Good luck to you.

Either the ratio rite or math. If you wanted to run 40:1 then you`d divide the number of ounces found in a gallon (128) by the mixture ratio (40). Result is 3.2 ounces per 128 ounces of fuel (gallon).

Ironically an easy measurement is 128/32=4 so 4 ounces of oil per gallon to get 32:1 which is what I`d use if the motor will be wide open for any period of time.

Either the ratio rite or math. If you wanted to run 40:1 then you`d divide the number of ounces found in a gallon (128) by the mixture ratio (40). Result is 3.2 ounces per 128 ounces of fuel (gallon).

Ironically an easy measurement is 128/32=4 so 4 ounces of oil per gallon to get 32:1 which is what I`d use if the motor will be wide open for any period of time.

In all but a trials bike 90:1 (despite oil brand) will cause excessive engine wear.

I will not run anything but chevron 2t oil

I picked up some pennzoil multi-purpose oil today and on the back it has a few ratios (16:1, 32:1, 50:1, 100:1) and I'm not sure on what to mix it at so I don't score the piston or fowl a plug.

I picked up some pennzoil multi-purpose oil today and on the back it has a few ratios (16:1, 32:1, 50:1, 100:1) and I'm not sure on what to mix it at so I don't score the piston or fowl a plug.

You're in South Dakota (relatively open) on a YZ144. Make sure it's jetted stock first and run 32:1. Adjust jetting later but from 32:1-40:1 is the range you want a small bore at with oil on open terrain.

It picked up 9hp. It ran strong but maintaining Methanol bike is a lot of work.
Horsepower isn't everything. How did it actually run? Was it responsive and snappy? Did it suffer from flat throttle response when snapping open the throttle? The only bike I've ever ridden that was running alcohol ran great when wide open but pretty much sucked at any other throttle opening. Seemed like it would have been good for a drag strip (that's what he was building it for) but I wouldn't have wanted to ride it on an MX track.