Sign in to follow this  

Help with border crossing?

Hey guys although this topic has been beat to death over the net it is all scattered information, Id like one persons experience with the subject and how it worked out. Im planing on going into michigan from ontario to purchase a used yz250f. Now iv gone to the riv.ca website, what iv gotten out of this is I need to fax the border a copy of the bill of sale, as well as the title, 72 hours before getting to the border. How the hell does that work, im planing on going across to buy the bike and come back, not camp out there for 3 days? Also have read that the RIV fee is not applicable to "closed course competition" bikes? So iv got to assume atleast a few guys on here from canada have done this, how did you go about the process (used bike). Your help is greatly appreciated, although i definately liek the idea of spending my money in canada, the prices are not even somewhat comparable. Thanks.

I recently bought a bike in washington and didn't do any of the steps you listed. All I did was provide the border guard the bill of sale with a value written on it, explained it wasn't for street use, went inside and paid my 12% tax and was on my way. Left my house at 7am and was back home with the bike by 4pm.

I recently bought a bike in washington and didn't do any of the steps you listed. All I did was provide the border guard the bill of sale with a value written on it, explained it wasn't for street use, went inside and paid my 12% tax and was on my way. Left my house at 7am and was back home with the bike by 4pm.

decent. next bike is deffinitly coming from the stats.

Axt the U.S. seller to bring it across. Offer him another $100 to do so. Have seller declare that he's going riding with you in :rant: That's how I've sold bikes in B.C.

:smirk::thumbsup:

The problem with that is that if you ever decide to sell it, you'll need a title, and then you'll have to do some importation paperwork anyway. Unless you can BS your way back across the border to sell it in the US...

The problem with that is that if you ever decide to sell it, you'll need a title, and then you'll have to do some importation paperwork anyway. Unless you can BS your way back across the border to sell it in the US...

Have U.S. seller provide signed title to bike and bill of sale. Make sure both do not have dates on them.

If you don't intend to register it here in Canada (in AB you need it registered and insured for off road use even) then I think you can just bring it over as a "closed course" bike.

Ouch!

BC g

has a 12% tax on everything just about. called HST tax.

what exactly does the title" of the bike refer to, is it the proof of ownership? Anyone from ontario done this? to ilovetards did you have to pay an RIV fee at the border? thanks

what exactly does the title" of the bike refer to, is it the proof of ownership? Anyone from ontario done this? to ilovetards did you have to pay an RIV fee at the border? thanks

In the states the title is basically showing who owns the vehicle, like you, the bank, the lease company, etc. You need to have that in hand before you bring it across.

Alright thanks. To shrubitup, how ligit is this, like why would the bill of sale and title be signed over but not dated? will the border give the seller a hard time when hes going one way with a bike and the other with no bike? thanks for your time.

Alright thanks. To shrubitup, how ligit is this, like why would the bill of sale and title be signed over but not dated? will the border give the seller a hard time when hes going one way with a bike and the other with no bike? thanks for your time.

Ha ha. I came up across in :smirk: with the story I was going riding and then on the return I said I was looking for a bike but didn't like what I saw. :p

I made sure my gear was in the back to give illusion of riding in :rant: and then used the excuse of gear/ramp in the back because I was anticipating to actually ride/load the bike for sale in :lol:

:p

I avoid dating such things because in Washistan the new owner has 14 days to give Washistan his portion of the use tax. When a bike is sold brand new here Washistan collects sales tax and continues to collect use tax (same rate as sales tax) every time the bike changes hands.

Sometimes a guy don't want to title it in his name cause he wants to avoid paying the use tax or at least until he knows the bike is a keeper. If he wants to resell the bike to the next buy all he has to do is provide my BOS, signed title, and a new BOS to the next purchaser. If dates are left off the documents the state loses out on the use tax between each transaction. IMO, the only one to hafta pay use (sales) tax is the one who bought it new at the dealer. It's my effort to starve the machine.

In the states the title is basically showing who owns the vehicle, like you, the bank, the lease company, etc. You need to have that in hand before you bring it across.

in my 32 years of riding and racing, i have never had a title for any dirtbike.

in my 32 years of riding and racing, i have never had a title for any dirtbike.

We dont have title's in Canada. That's why I said in the US you'll need one.

Hey apparently something has to be done with the recals on the bike, as in it either needs to be taken to a dealer to "have the recals done" or a recal notice needs to be provided to the border. this seems like a completely rediculous rule, has anyone come across a copy of the recal sheet for a 09 yz250f? apparently they are 300$ to buy, yet if i go to the dealer to "have the recals done" its free. but the dealership isnt going to change anything on the bike so what the hell? confused.

BC g

has a 12% tax on everything just about. called HST tax.

When we left Canada (Ontario) in the early 90's I remember we were paying 15.56% sales tax on everything. Something like 8%, plus and additional 7% (there was tax on the tax which was where the 0.56% part came from). Think it was the GST + PST or something. Is that still in effect?