Sign in to follow this  

07 kx450f. It bogs and turned off.

It starts and stays pretty good but if I pull the throttle quick, suddenly, it bogs and dies and turns off, but If i stay up on the throttle it works great except when I go all the way back and pull quick, it dies. did any body have a guess of what could be .

Edited by hyperhomie

It's possible that your accelerator pump is not working properly. The diaphragm (below the float bowl) can get a hole in it, or pump activation rod in the right/rear side of the carb, can get jammed by corrosion caused by water that get inside the throttle cable cover and flows down to the AP.

Not sure what you mean about the choke. Just use that briefly when it's cold. Test the carb when the motor is warm and leave the choke off.

These carbs can work amazingly well, but they need some maintenance. Sounds like you need to remove your carb and clean and inspect everything.

About every 50 hrs, I like to remove the bowl (carb in bike) and clean out any crap. When the bowl is off, I also remove the slide cap, and I spray lots of Inox light oil on the slide, to clean and lube the slide to avoid lots of wear. The surplus oil flows down and out, so put a rag under your carb. The AP adjuster screw sometimes needs a tweak for best AP function, and the throttle cable wheel and AP cam on the right side usually need a clean and lube. And the hotstart plunger often needs a clean and lube. When you remove the fuel screw with carb in bike, have a white rag under the carb to catch the spring, o-ring and washer which might not come out on the screw tip.

It's possible that your accelerator pump is not working properly. The diaphragm (below the float bowl) can get a hole in it, or pump activation rod in the right/rear side of the carb, can get jammed by corrosion caused by water that get inside the throttle cable cover and flows down to the AP.

Not sure what you mean about the choke. Just use that briefly when it's cold. Test the carb when the motor is warm and leave the choke off.

These carbs can work amazingly well, but they need some maintenance. Sounds like you need to remove your carb and clean and inspect everything.

About every 50 hrs, I like to remove the bowl (carb in bike) and clean out any crap. When the bowl is off, I also remove the slide cap, and I spray lots of Inox light oil on the slide, to clean and lube the slide to avoid lots of wear. The surplus oil flows down and out, so put a rag under your carb. The AP adjuster screw sometimes needs a tweak for best AP function, and the throttle cable wheel and AP cam on the right side usually need a clean and lube. And the hotstart plunger often needs a clean and lube. When you remove the fuel screw with carb in bike, have a white rag under the carb to catch the spring, o-ring and washer which might not come out on the screw tip.

Thank you Sr. for your advise I will replace the diaphragm and tune the ac pump.

You're welcome. If you've not pulled the carb off for a long time, it's usually worth it to do a proper clean. A small inline fuel filter is a good investment too. If you ride on/off throttle a lot, then a 55 leak jet is a good thing, if not got one in there already.

You're welcome. If you've not pulled the carb off for a long time, it's usually worth it to do a proper clean. A small inline fuel filter is a good investment too. If you ride on/off throttle a lot, then a 55 leak jet is a good thing, if not got one in there already.

Thank you Sr. I've just order new fuel filter, JD Jets, pilot, power, leak, diaphragm, hopefully this solve my bogging problem.

Best Regards,

HyperHomie.

Thank you Sr. I've just order new fuel filter, JD Jets, pilot, power, leak, diaphragm, hopefully this solve my bogging problem.
When you have the carb off the bike and in your hands, that's the best time to set the AP adjustment screw.

With all the new parts installed in your clean carb, put some fuel in the bowl, and keep the right side cover off the carb, then hold the airfilter side of the throat facing you. Quickly turn the throttle wheel with your right hand and you see the AP squirt down the throat (it should squirt about 6ft). Set the AP screw so the squirt starts immediately that the slide is high enough to open a path.

Another way I check it, still with the carb removed and in your hands, is with the diaphragm cover removed, put one finger on the bottom/end of the AP rod, then turn the throttle wheel to slowly open the slide. As soon as the slide is raising, that rod should be pushing the diaphragm. You can feel the rod move easier than seeing it move.

You'll find that the best screw position is not a full in/out thing. One position will time the start of the squirt perfectly. :smirk:

When you have the carb off the bike and in your hands, that's the best time to set the AP adjustment screw.

With all the new parts installed in your clean carb, put some fuel in the bowl, and keep the right side cover off the carb, then hold the airfilter side of the throat facing you. Quickly turn the throttle wheel with your right hand and you see the AP squirt down the throat (it should squirt about 6ft). Set the AP screw so the squirt starts immediately that the slide is high enough to open a path.

Another way I check it, still with the carb removed and in your hands, is with the diaphragm cover removed, put one finger on the bottom/end of the AP rod, then turn the throttle wheel to slowly open the slide. As soon as the slide is raising, that rod should be pushing the diaphragm. You can feel the rod move easier than seeing it move.

You'll find that the best screw position is not a full in/out thing. One position will time the start of the squirt perfectly. :smirk:

Hey Numroe great advise I really appreciate it. I will let you know my progress on it. Thanks again for your time.

Hyper Homie.