Sign in to follow this  

KX250F Clutch issue

I just bought a used kx250f and my first day of riding it i noticed that my clutch was not disengaging properly. I've been messing with my clutch play and cable and have definately ruled out any cable related problems. its to the point now that i cant shift into first at idle even when its warm :smirk: Very frustrating! so this also means i cant find neutral at all when its running and it likes to creep forward at idle. I just changed the oil today, and i asked the guy that i bought it from what kind of oil he used...he told me that he used standard Shell 5w-30. Could this be what caused the problem? An oil thats not made for a wet clutch? If so what would be the problem? Should i take off the clutch cover? if so what should i look for? Im not exactly a master mechanic and i could use any help i can get...

I just bought a used kx250f and my first day of riding it i noticed that my clutch was not disengaging properly. I've been messing with my clutch play and cable and have definately ruled out any cable related problems. its to the point now that i cant shift into first at idle even when its warm :smirk: Very frustrating! so this also means i cant find neutral at all when its running and it likes to creep forward at idle. I just changed the oil today, and i asked the guy that i bought it from what kind of oil he used...he told me that he used standard Shell 5w-30. Could this be what caused the problem? An oil thats not made for a wet clutch? If so what would be the problem? Should i take off the clutch cover? if so what should i look for? Im not exactly a master mechanic and i could use any help i can get...

being a used bike most likely cause is a notched clutch basket, take the clutch cover off and look for grooves in the aluminium finger's the hold the fiber plates, as a quick fix you can file the notches out of the fingers but ultimatly the only fix is to buy a new basket, the other thing it could be is warped steel's, inw hich case it's as simple as replacing the steel clutch plates.

most oil's that arn't suitable for wet clutch have friction modifiers in them that make them to slippery, and cause the clutch to slip under load, so it's unlikely the oil is causing the clutch to drag.

My clutch basket isnt grooved, but my inner clutch hub is...is this bad?

Edited by Tdubb

I have a 07 KX250F...I had sort of the same problems....I ended up replacing the inner clutch hub and getting a new Barnett Dirt Digger Clutch Kit.....the kit has all new plates and springs....Works great now....I have been pretty hard on the clutch for about a year.....still going strong......Stuff wears out....I say you are do for a new clutch....

yeah look at getting a new clutch kit and a new inner hub. Preferably from Hinson.

First think i would look at doing is getting new clutch springs from pro circuit or hinson. Stock 06-08 kawi clutches had week springs causing the clutch plates to ware quicker then they should

Oh and buy 2 bottles of MAxima SynBlend 10-40 oil and replace the current oil with it and oil filter. SynBlend oil works great in kawi because of the clutch systems and all that

yeah look at getting a new clutch kit and a new inner hub. Preferably from Hinson.

First think i would look at doing is getting new clutch springs from pro circuit or hinson. Stock 06-08 kawi clutches had week springs causing the clutch plates to ware quicker then they should

Oh and buy 2 bottles of MAxima SynBlend 10-40 oil and replace the current oil with it and oil filter. SynBlend oil works great in kawi because of the clutch systems and all that

Actually in 07 the springs were upped by 20%. I ran my 07 clutch for 76 hours before I sold it, no slipping.

So I will not agree that they are too weak, but if you are a clutch abuser, they are always too weak:thumbsup: