Sign in to follow this  

Opinions

So A few weeks ago I was riding at the dunes and I heard a noise when I was slowing down. The noise sounded like it was coming from the counter shaft area. I pulled the clutch in and still made the noise. Sounded like a bearing squeal. I shut it down and started back up with no noise. I rode a little longer and the noise came back so I went to camp to check it out. My oil crankcase was overfilled with oil so I figured I had a seal go out. Any ideas on what the noise could be? I'm thinking counter shaft bearing but I could be wrong.

I have the cases split and getting ready to put in a new crank, HC piston a cam and a ported head with ss valves. Is there anything I should look at or just replace since I have the cases split?

Thanks.

From what I've read, "some" 450's had a problem with the kick starter idler gear and 5th gear bushing squealing even with the specified amount of oil. The cure for this was to run a full quart of oil in the transmission side.

That being said, since you were low of oil on the tranny side, I would look at everything for oil starvation damage for sure, but maybe give those 2 items an extra look since they were a "problem" even with oil.

I've been running a full quart on both 450's and cr250r for quite sometime with no problems .

From what I've read, "some" 450's had a problem with the kick starter idler gear and 5th gear bushing squealing even with the specified amount of oil. The cure for this was to run a full quart of oil in the transmission side.

That being said, since you were low of oil on the tranny side, I would look at everything for oil starvation damage for sure, but maybe give those 2 items an extra look since they were a "problem" even with oil.

I've been running a full quart on both 450's and cr250r for quite sometime with no problems .

QFT

message length

Your right side main crank seal or your balancer seal was leaking so the tranny oil migrated over to the engine side. Check out post #6 in the thread linked below. I suspect that was what was causing your squeal.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=907505&highlight=squeal

Now that you have it apart, I would check all the bearings (or replace them while you have it apart).

Apparently the balancer seal may wear out because the balancer bearings are worn. Since the balancer seal is one of the two oil migration points, I would replace the balancer bearings (and seal) even if they seemed good.

I have checked both the right side crank seal and the balancer seal. They both seemed to look ok but maybe they are just worn out. The balancer bearing had a little play in it so I am going to replace that and my counter shaft bearing seems a little rough when turning it by hand. I am going to pull the tranny apart and inspect and look at the kick start idle gear.

Thanks for the advice.