i'm new and needing some opinio on 4 stroke (wr250f) (250excf) versus 2 stroke ktm300

hey guys i'm new here, i ride victoria australia and i'm honestly thinking bout getting some finance thing on a new bike, i've only owned old bikes that i've done up but recently i've searched around and i've got a yami dealer half an hour one way and a ktm joint half hour the other way. So i'm needingo opinions, also if anyone can do a little math i'd appreciate it. The deals are 5 years paying per fortnight, i think the prices are around the 10 mark brand new, wat will it cost per week? I want to get the 300 two stroke but my dads got a cr250 and it actually isn't fun to ride bush :s too snappy and all i want is fun, is the 300 gonna get me up hills not in powerband? (mean mofo hills around here) is the powerband a full on hit? I'm leaning towards two stroke cos i wanna hav fun and its easier to work on :smirk: and if i go 4 stroke like a wrf or excf i dont wanna really do all the maintence (valves and cam chains and stuff) i'm gonna have it for 5 years so i dont wanna get sic of it. Any thoughts appreciated guys :rant:

It would be difficult to compare a 250F to a 300 2T. Very, very different bikes.

If your riding areas are wide & fast....then the 300 is an obvious choice. Tighter, technical and slower trails....250F would be my choice.

It depends a little on your interest rate, but if you are at 8% interest for five years on 10,000 dollars paying every two weeks your payment will be about $94 every two weeks.

Try and test ride the bikes, only way to know for sure which bike you want. Also the 300 2 stroke basically has 4 stroke power, it has alot of bottom end, and doesn't "hit" like 250 2 strokes, but still fly's when on the pipe :smirk:

yea cheers for the math :smirk: it gets pretty open on the firetracks and 4wd tracks but it can change to tight single track when you take a wrong turn, will the two stroke handle the slow stuff? Sometimes i gotta make my own track when trees are down :rant: another one i was thinking is a yz450f? (i LOVE horsepower) does anyone have any specs on weight and seat hight for it?

yea cheers for the math :smirk: it gets pretty open on the firetracks and 4wd tracks but it can change to tight single track when you take a wrong turn, will the two stroke handle the slow stuff? Sometimes i gotta make my own track when trees are down :rant: another one i was thinking is a yz450f? (i LOVE horsepower) does anyone have any specs on weight and seat hight for it?

An auto-clutch on the 2T would make it a weapon. Go to Yamaha web site for all your specs.

wat kinda price do auto clutches usually go for?

wat kinda price do auto clutches usually go for?

Around $700.

You can adjust the 300 pretty much to any type of riding style via powervalve spring.Also has good bottom end almost 4stroke like and can keep up with 450s no problem.You will notice a little more vibration in the footpegs on the 2stroke.

My advice is not to finance a dirt bike. Unless you're putting a HUGE amount down and can pay the rest off within a year or 18 months, it's just not worth the millstone around your neck. You're just going to beat it up, it's not good to be upsidedown the moment you walk out of the store on something like that.

My advice is not to finance a dirt bike. Unless you're putting a HUGE amount down and can pay the rest off within a year or 18 months, it's just not worth the millstone around your neck. You're just going to beat it up, it's not good to be upsidedown the moment you walk out of the store on something like that.

i agree, try never to finance a toy, that looses value the day you ride it. i know sometimes it is hard to walk away and wait for a great used bike, but thats what i would do. you will get a better deal that way. have you figgured out what you will actually be paying for that bike that cost 10K ? probobly around 12? with intrest and fees.

its the only way i could get something like that, i can see the downsides but it isn't that much to pay a week, and it will keep me doing a job without gettin sic of it, i've only got about 1k put away but it will be there to get me outa trouble, it will be paid off in about 3 years in my math. I'd put the money on it every week and put away $50 to a $100 and pay a jump sum at the end. I know resale wont be any good but i might not sell it. Thanks for the concerns but i recon i'm gonna go for it :smirk:

Nothing wrong with financing if you can afford it.. what i mean is if you lost your job could you make all your payments still? if the answer is yes then finance. I have one bike that I bought new and paid cash (my new bike) vand I still have 9 payments left on the KLX250 i bought 4 years ago. Do not regret either. JUST DO NOT OVER FINANCE. I have been unemployed for two years and have not missed a single Bike or mortgage payment!! You can ride Hard and not wreck your bike. IMO

You are definitely talking about two different types of bikes here with huge HP difference. I ride a 04 300. Have ridden plenty of 250F's. 300 would out perform 250F in both of your scenarios I believe. I ride a lot of tight technical here in the south east and the 300 excels in that arena. It will run out on the top end pretty well too. You grab a handful of throttle on each of these bikes and there is a big difference I assure you. I agree with not financing a dirt bike.....

I'm also not a fan of big debt for toys, takes a lot of cash to run 'em. Is there an opportunity to use a line of credit (unsecured loan) to buy a used bike? Or perhaps a used bike from a dealer? Just a thought.

I actually like MX bikes for offroad, so take my opinion with that in mind. I love my CR250R, but I do run a Rekluse Z-Pro clutch, it's like a big mini-bike with a mean streak when provoked. It sounds like you might prefer the low end power the KTM300 would offer, though the YZ250 has really impressive torque for a 250.

My experience with the 250 4t was mixed, I found that I was just as fast on one, but the low-end power is really soft. Enough power to get the job done, but not very exciting coming off a 250 2t. So you'll really need to keep speed and rev's up to hang with a 1/4 liter 2t.

I'd go for either the YZ250 or KTM300, and be aware that there are 300 kits for the YZ and KTM250's. The YZ hasn't really changed since 2006, so if you do consider used...

how old are you, what have you ridden the most before and how easy/hard did you find it to be?

what % of your income is going to be on this bike per year?

a ktm 300 has a LOT more power than a 250f, unless you are a really good rider, you don't need it, for the riding here in Vic, I'd go wr250f. Maybe get an older one and give it a good service to save money

If you total-it or have it stolen (which is bad enough), you will be paying for it for a long time, and have nothing. This will piss-you-off and you may skip payments, thus you risk beginning life with poor credit. Can't you get a 3-4 year old bike in good shape for 2500? Believe me: The more people finance bikes the more they are gonna cost brand new.

The WR is a great bike (Needs the free mods) and then it rips. I have no experience with the excf but from what I have read the bikes low end is no match for the WR or CRFX, open it up keep it in the revs and the WR or CFRX are no match because the excf is the same engine used in the SXF line with only a few changes. The 300 is supposed to be a great bike of the year, and an exellent woods machine Very high horsepower! I had the choice because I paid Cash (my dad passed away and tere was life insurane left for me) for my bike and at the time I could get the 300 for 7500 otd new, I chose however to spend around 8700 to get the WR with Pipe,jetkit,and throttle stop. It just felt right to me!!

And all you people that think financing is bad well according to my dealer about 95% of all new bikes/quads/boats are financed. Lots of people like myself cannot pull 7-10grand out of our asses, so financing is the only option. and if no one financed all these manufacturers would go out of business then you would have no bikes to ride new or used

Ken

People take mortgages on boats and fifth wheels and such to the tune of 25 years this is stupid but it happenes alot up here. so when i see guys driving thier new fully loaded 1 ton picups with two new quads or sleds pulling a tag/fifthwheel worth about 200,000. I say well financed he better not loose his job!! that is what I ment in my last post when I said DO NOT OVER FINANCE!! Buy 1 toy at a time with credit!!

And all you people that think financing is bad well according to my dealer about 95% of all new bikes/quads/boats are financed. Lots of people like myself cannot pull 7-10grand out of our asses, so financing is the only option. and if no one financed all these manufacturers would go out of business then you would have no bikes to ride new or used.

Bikes are significantly cheaper than 10-20,000 dollar quads and 20-100,000 boats. By the time a bike has been paid for (after 5 years a 7000 dollar bike will be 12,000), yet a 5 year old bike in MINT condition is worth 1/5-1/4 what it was brand new. Now that your loan is paid off to such notable finance companies as HSBC and Wells Fargo (you really want to owe these guys money), you have an outdated ride that is probably in need of a rebuild worth jack.

Oh and buddy- The premise of my argument is financing makes it easier to rip us all off on new bikes. I guy financing a bike he can't afford won't give a hoot about paying sticker...if they are financing it ( their bank wouldn't give them a low-interest personal loan ) they are just happy to qualify.

As for no bikes to buy? Yeah whatever, the consumer should dictate the marketplace not the manufacture. If the manufactures are so enamored with financing toys why don't they offer no-interest deals? Why do they contract out to third party lenders who offer high interest no-collateral loans to risky consumers?

Motocross was meant to be raced with cheap-under 5 grand toys that could be rebuilt by the owner at a negligible cost. It was never more popular, than in those days..or affordable. Now? After tax it costs just about 10,000 to roll a new bike out the door...and forget about rebuilding it. You look after it for a couple of years and sell it before it reaches 150-200 hours, because unless you have the skills, you are payin' someone to rebuild that engine.

I Agree the price of things has got out of hand, you can thank Ronald Reagan for that!!( Capatalism a love Story - Micheal Moore). I only paid 11.39% on my KLX250 and the loan was from GE Money. My total purchace was 7668.52(includes all taxes,fees,jacket, helmet gloves, and 4 more years of warranty) and the interest over 4 years is 1914.80.(copied from my loan agreement) which is not even close to the 5000.00 interest you stated on a 7000.00 bike. You americans are getting robbed if you pay that much interest!!

Ken