My first win.

I was looking around last night for the tracks I used to race at before most of yall were born, and ran across one of my sponsors posting on a site dedicated to old mini bikes. The track was called Indian Dunes in so cal and the following story is true.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/39629-indian-dunes-2.html#post300125

Ok, for my Indian Dunes story. I raced a 71 Mini Enduro there in 71-72 on the mini track and absolutely loved that track. It was far from technical, but it was fast and the traction was great.

On this particular weekend I got my first, 1st place trophy but that's not why I remember this track with such fondness.

It started like any other race day. Practice, tuning the bike etc. My Dad was watching me practice and waved me into the pits. He felt my bike was running lean, he said there should be a little smoke coming outa the pipe and he wanted to add a little oil to mix in with the methanol and ~10% Nitro mixture. :pimp:

Well he got our oil bottles mixed up and added ATF in my tank instead of 2 stroke and the weird thing is, the bike never ran better. During practice, I was beating Rene Payne for the first time ever and yes, she is a girl. A very, very fast girl!

After my 3rd practice run, I pull into the pit area and my Dad was over talking to some folks pitting next to us and at first I thought nothing of it. And when he came back he asked if I would loan and change the counter shaft on this girls bike. Her name was Terry and I'm like, sure! :shrug:

He stops me before I make it over to their pit and asks, do you know who they are?

Naw!

That's Steve, Chad and Terry McQueen!

:bowdown:

I have met Steve McQueen at Saddleback before. My Dad was the race director for the SCMBKA and during this 3 day championship thing, him and my Dad had some words when they showed up late and Chad couldn't get any practice. BooHoo! :grind:

I digress. So here I am, about to loan and change a 71 Yamaha Mini Enduro CF sprocket, on Steve McQueens Daughters mini bike, and she is close to my age and cute! ? And here I am, a normal 14 year old boy. ?

Met them, changed the sprocket yadda dadda. Did I mention she was cute?

This gets better. Right before the races start, another celeb shows up and it's that annoying red headed kid from the show "The Partridge Family". Danny Bonadcue or however it's spelled. I was a Led Zeppelin guy and hated that show and that kid. The only reason I watched it was because of that dark haired chick.

Race time comes and I'm on the line with automatic transmission in my tank and to my right is Chad McQueen, Danny Bungholdouce and Rene Payne. With Steve McQueen watching. No pressure there right? :rant:

The flag drops, I get the hole shot and the race is red flagged. Banny Dungholoo crashed on the starting line and gets hurt. And here I had the hole shot and since I didn't like guy, I wish I could kicked him while he was down. :doah:

Restart, I get the hole shot again and won the first moto. I am so freeking out on what just happened, I couldn't wait to get back to my pit and my Dad, but, where was my Dad?

Over there drinking beer with Steve McQueen! ?

What kind of Dad would want to drink beer with Steve McQueen?

Anyhoo, I won all 3 motos and took my first, 1st place trophy home, saw Danny Banaduce crash, beat Chad McQueen and when Terry McQueen asked me what she owed me for the loan and the wrenching on the CS sprocket, I said a kiss!

She gave me a kiss on the cheek. :bowdown:

This is a day, I will never forget. Indian Dunes RULED!

• Like 1

your an *******

Great story OP! Those kind of memories are what makes people.

You should expand your horizons, sometimes it is worth the effort.
What does Tl;dr mean?

Edit. Nevermind, I found it. Too long ; Didn't read.

And thanks for those who enjoyed my story and actually use whole words.

Must be a genarational thing, I actually read, but had to google tl;dr... go figure?

http://www.neogaf.com/~kurai/umad.jpg