Sign in to follow this  

A little info on gearing?

09 S model

I think stock gearing is 15/44 and the chain length is 110 links. Is this correct?

I just bought a 13T for the front and am waiting delivery. I want lower gearing for trails. Off the top of my head, my rear axle is set at about 4-5, and the chain is nice for tightness.

I should be fine with the stock chain and stuff right?

Stock S gearing is 15/44 and 112 links.

SM is 15/41 and 110 links.

Edit: With a 13 tooth, the axle will need to move back about 1/3 an inch.

Thanks for the reply. What is a 1/3" about a cm right? Can't wait to stop slipping the clutch in 1st.

Yes, about 1cm. 2.54cm per inch.

I think in metric and then always have to convert to inches.

You will most likely, unless your chain is stretched, get away with the stock chain.

I think in metric and then always have to convert to inches.

Time to start a revolution man. You're the only country in the world sticking with that antiquated system.

you might find the 13 tooth a bit too low. I use a 14 tooth counter sprocket and a 47 on the back. It seems to work good for me. Plus, I could move my adjusters back to the front again and lots of room for stretch later if needed, all with stock chain.

Rumor around town is that 13/44 is the same as 14/47 I think the 13 on an S Is the simples cheapest way to get the bike to the same gearing as an E.?

Rumor around town is that 13/44 is the same as 14/47 I think the 13 on an S Is the simples cheapest way to get the bike to the same gearing as an E.?

yes.those ratios are virtually the same.the 13cs however will be harder on the chain life.