Sign in to follow this  

Any Money to be made???

Just curious. Found this cool old mid 70's Yami TM 125. Looks real clean, supposedly was put away a few months after it was new. $900. Is there a market for these bikes?

If you get it running you might be able to sell it for 1200 to 1500 dollars? I don't see a lot of them around the northwest vmx scene. I know a guy who rides a tm250.

Restoration and making money. It is not inverse, but it is not a gold mine on any bike, Approximate guesstimation, if you do a total frame up restoration, everything from new wheels, spokes, bearings, brakes, cables, powder coating (frame) rebulit suspension and or new componenents, cables, bars, chroming, polishing, paint (body work on tank) new plastics or repainted, total engine rebuild (cases split, new crank bearings, seals, tranismission checked / repaired as required, new clutch, bored over and new piston, connecting rod and bearings, seat, electrics all new - whew, would make the bike worth approximately 2,500. You will put at least 1200-1500 in it. 1,000 dollar profit. Now break that 1K profit into your manhours, and your probably working for very little per hour. The guys that do this and make it pay, have the resources for all the parts etc, and simply break the bike down and begining with the frame, schedule the rework of parts to reassemble the bike, They may do the engine work - or send some of it out. The turnaround time is quicker for them and they reap a higher profit. There is a fellow on ebay that shows up from time to time that does vintage Suzuki's and usually gets 5,500 - 7,500 for his efforts. Total frame up restorations to better than new! paint is better now, materials etc, his bikes look so good they are museum pieces.

Or.... you can do a DIY like I do - cleaning, bead blasting, polishing, grinding, sanding, painting, repair all of the "cooter fixes" from over the years, install new skins, cables top end bottom end, paint, and have a really nice working restoration for 1200 or so (not counting the original cost of the bike).

Restoration and making money. It is not inverse, but it is not a gold mine on any bike, Approximate guesstimation, if you do a total frame up restoration, everything from new wheels, spokes, bearings, brakes, cables, powder coating (frame) rebulit suspension and or new componenents, cables, bars, chroming, polishing, paint (body work on tank) new plastics or repainted, total engine rebuild (cases split, new crank bearings, seals, tranismission checked / repaired as required, new clutch, bored over and new piston, connecting rod and bearings, seat, electrics all new - whew, would make the bike worth approximately 2,500. You will put at least 1200-1500 in it. 1,000 dollar profit. Now break that 1K profit into your manhours, and your probably working for very little per hour. The guys that do this and make it pay, have the resources for all the parts etc, and simply break the bike down and begining with the frame, schedule the rework of parts to reassemble the bike, They may do the engine work - or send some of it out. The turnaround time is quicker for them and they reap a higher profit. There is a fellow on ebay that shows up from time to time that does vintage Suzuki's and usually gets 5,500 - 7,500 for his efforts. Total frame up restorations to better than new! paint is better now, materials etc, his bikes look so good they are museum pieces.

Or.... you can do a DIY like I do - cleaning, bead blasting, polishing, grinding, sanding, painting, repair all of the "cooter fixes" from over the years, install new skins, cables top end bottom end, paint, and have a really nice working restoration for 1200 or so (not counting the original cost of the bike).

All very true, except you could never do the all bearings, wheels, spokes etc etc restoration for $1200-1500. Even starting with a really nice base, there are always "hardparts" that are destroyed that will need replacing. These parts always put the build over budget. The 2nd example with the "Cooter fixes" is more around that range. Cooter fix is a great way to describe...haha

god no. I'll call you if I ever needed to be talked out of anything ever again.

I thought the bike might be worth 2x as much the way it is because Im not up on the values.

on the other hand if it runs you could have a little play bike that is going to depreciate in value either

meant to say Not going to depreciate

Edited by sporthog93
added word

on the other hand if it runs you could have a little play bike that is going to depreciate in value either

Concur! I am picking up a TL-125 later today, no plans on restoration, just make it run and have fun. I always replace the cables, tires chain and sprockets, maybe a top end if it needs it. Don't know what I will do with it - but the price is right 150.00 for the TL 125 and a vintage Husky (do not know year or model as I have not seen it yet) basket case.