Sign in to follow this  

Header Fit

Okay so today I am going to be replacing my stock S header with an E header. I have the original FMF Q slip on. Now there is normally a connector that connects the header to the muffler for the S. The new E header fits right into the muffler with no connector or spacer needed at all and it is snug. Once I clamp this down will it have an air tight seal? I have the connector for the E header to the muffler but the connector doesnt fit around the header nor does it fit inside the muffler. I see no reason to have to use it seeing the header and muffler fit snug with no addational parts. Is this correct?

I have searched and seen some anti seize was also recommended which is what I will be doing.

A smear of high temp silicone would probably help too.

Okay so I attached the muffler and, like I stated before, it fits snugly to the header with no needed gaskets or connectors. There is one issue. When I go to bolt the muffler onto the passenger peg mount it requires me to back the muffler off the header. There is still like 1/2" of header inside the muffler but I am just unsure of this. Hoping that someone has had a similar issue or can tell me what to do.

This is a picture of it with the clamp moved out of the way.

DSCN0634.jpg

Is the S header longer than the E header. It's hard to tell from that pic if there are slots in the muffler where the header joins. Provided the header goes in enough to cover these, it should be OK.

Is the S header longer than the E header. It's hard to tell from that pic if there are slots in the muffler where the header joins. Provided the header goes in enough to cover these, it should be OK.

I believe the E header is actually a little bit longer. The difference is the S has a metal connector that joins the muffler and the header. The metal joint has a piece that covers the gap that exists in between the muffler and the header now. That same connector doesn't fit over the E header because of the larger diameter and the E doesn't come with the same metal connector as the S does.

It does cover up the slots and i am hoping that some silicone gasket and the clamp will do the job.

Maybe some exhaust wrap to reinforce this spot?

Its the difference in header lengths that the problem. Measure the outside diameter of the muffler. Get a piece of tubing (automotive exhaust) say, 3" long, and use that to strengthen the join.If you can't get it a 'snug' fit, just cut a slot in it.

please correct me if i am wrong. The exhaust on the Sm bolts up to the pillion peg, where the E does not have them so it bolts up to the sub frame about an 1" or so more forward than the SM. From what i have seen on a few bikes they use a piece of flat aluminum bar and make an adaptor from the peg mount to the exhaust mount and bolt it together. think there is a few threads on this with pics somewhere.

Okay so I attached the muffler and, like I stated before, it fits snugly to the header with no needed gaskets or connectors. There is one issue. When I go to bolt the muffler onto the passenger peg mount it requires me to back the muffler off the header.......

Makes sense to move it.......:smirk:

Thanks for the info dgcars. This thread applies to an S/Sm exhaust going on an E. In my case its the E header going on the S. I would have to make a bracket to go the opposite way as the muffler bolt needs to be closer to the front of the bike. Not farther towards the back.