03 cam

both me and my brother have a 03 crf 450 had my a few years he just got his last year and i rode his and it revs to the moon it rips. my dont rev that so i checked the timming on both bikes next to each other using the flywheel tdc mark both are right on but his cam lobes are level backwards my are tilted upwards both bikes are level could my cam be screwed up? any help would be great thanks.:smirk:

Sometimes the cam gear can move inside the gear, but I doubt you'd be able to see it by eye like that.

Are you sure both bikes have stock cams? And a pipe can make a pretty big difference.

One other thing, retarding the cam timing usually makes more top end power. A worn cam chain can retard the timing, but I doubt you'd get 4 degrees out of a worn timing chain.

If the top end on your bike was rebuilt at some point, and the timing got set one tooth advanced that could cause the top end power to drop off, but the low end would be really strong. It would also make the bike difficult to start too. But it would, and it'd run ok.

hard to kick and runs great down low but timing marks line up perfect with other 03 that revs any ideas where to start? thanks

Maybe one has 02 CAM which did rev to the moon compared to 03 CAM. The 03 CAM ruined the top end by trying to add more low end. Just a thought...Bill

update put in a hot cam stage 1 and wiseco 13. 5.1 piston and now she revs to the moon very happy must of been the cam:banana:

update put in a hot cam stage 1 and wiseco 13. 5.1 piston and now she revs to the moon very happy must of been the cam:banana:

Thats odd because it shouldn't. Not with that combo. It should pull like a Dozer', but not really rev. The stage 1 is a short duration cam and with that tall piston in there your low speed cylinder pressures are way up there.

Whatever...if it works for ya, right on! :smirk: