How's everyones 2010 YZ250F holding up??

How much time does everyone have on there 2010 models and how they holding up??

Hi I don't have a 2010 my self but I have friends who have. This year they are having a lot of trouble with the YZFs, of 6 2010 YZ250F's in my ride group, 2 have lost a pistonpin circlip destroying the cylinder when the pin hit it(and they hadn't had time to change the piston yet so this was a circlip put in by Yamaha). 2 other bikes have had the oiltube rupture in the joint behind the cylinder loosing oil and seizing. My friends have been on YZF's forever and something like this has never happened before :smirk: these are Euro bikes.

Ride safe

My friend races every weekend and rides at least twice midweek. Other than the usual maintenance his only "issue" is a bent silencer from bottoming so ungodly hard on a flat landing. But the transmission and internals are good.

I own the transworld mx test bike with 30 hours on it from pro's riding it like they stole it. no problems so far.

Including my own we have 3 2010's in the group of friends I ride with, total hours on all three bikes over 125+, various amounts on each one. Normal maintenance on all of them and I rebuilt mine over the winter, no problems with any of them so far.

20 hrs and you wouldnt want to see how hard I ride my 2010 250f...zero problems here...change oil, clean air filter, check valves, add gas......my group of guys (including me) race the int/pro class so we're not babying these things..

The longevity seems to be hit and miss for this model. I was lunching with the local bike mechanic (who everyone takes their bikes too for maintenance) and he was discussing how many more '10's he's had in the shop for motor issues than any other previous yz250f's. The 2 issues he's seen is the intakes breaking and the bearing retainer for the crank bearing coming loose. Most of these bikes were local fast kids....you know, the rev'er types. Also, the breaking intake bikes had 100 hrs on original engine w/o any rebuilds. This is well past when it needed a new top end and valve springs. You can only assume the broken valves were a result of valve float.

. Also, the breaking intake bikes had 100 hrs on original engine w/o any rebuilds. This is well past when it needed a new top end and valve springs. You can only assume the broken valves were a result of valve float.

To go along with ^To me, that ^ is horrible maintenance. And at 100hrs with no rebuils is pretty phenominal on a 250f. We rebuild our engines every 15hrs (on the long end). Check valves every other ride. A lot of people I speak to say they adjust their valves once the bike quits starting...which is far past the time that they needed adjustment. I'm very happy with the 2010 and will be racing this bike for a long time.:thumbsup:

To go along with ^To me, that ^ is horrible maintenance. And at 100hrs with no rebuils is pretty phenominal on a 250f. We rebuild our engines every 15hrs (on the long end). Check valves every other ride. A lot of people I speak to say they adjust their valves once the bike quits starting...which is far past the time that they needed adjustment. I'm very happy with the 2010 and will be racing this bike for a long time.:thumbsup:

The local rev'er's were kinda spoiled in that they had 2 previous models of yz250f's that held up with that horrible maintenance schedule. The '10 didn't quite hold up as well.:smirk:

The local rev'er's were kinda spoiled in that they had 2 previous models of yz250f's that held up with that horrible maintenance schedule. The '10 didn't quite hold up as well.:thumbsup:

hmm strange:thinking:

only got 10 hours on mine. it blew a fork seal at 3 hours but thats it since then. put a few scratches on it but no engine problems. clutch lever keeps moving as its breaking in tho

I bought this 2008 250F new, and I hate to be negative, but its easily the worst bike Ive ever owned (motor wise)...Against the better judgement of friends, I bought the bike and decided to leave it bone stock...Its been serviced like no other bike ive owned, and was good up to 60 hours...Then the rod broke in half.....$2200 later, everything new from crank up....and i just cant keep it running. Shop does all the work, as im not a 4 stroke guy....its got 80 hours on it now and been in the shop 3x since its rebuild.....fun bike, but dang......going back to 2 strokes for modern riding...

Hope everyone else has better luck than I...good luck!!

Sounds like you either have crappy luck or need to find another shop or do the work yourself

I have an 09 and 10. Been bullet proof.