Sign in to follow this  

My 125's top end is off to Eric Gorr

Well, about 3 years ago I bought a basket case for a 1994 CR125. I have tried to piece it together on a budget but never had it running right. This website has taught me so much about what is possible, I wish I had been a member of it and had been reading the site when I bought my bike because 1. I wouldn't have bought this one, and 2. I would have done a better job on my restoration which would have saved me money.

I have had to replace most of the throttle assembly, the carb, half the engine case on the clutch side, replace the fork seals, rebuild the engine (multiple times), and much much more. The bike has always been under powered because I got a crappy steel sleave for it on the first rebuild and I don't think the piston was ever matched to the cylinder, it never had much compression. Well, that is all about to end. Going to get the 144 big bore kit for it with his "mo betta" porting (Compromise between the low to mid porting and the mid to high porting trying to spread the power deliver through the entire rpm range).

Next year we get to start on the cosmetics :smirk:

http://throttlejockey.com/product/x_5UTN93QWawZSN1EY2lkPT/RETRO%20REPLICA'S

let me know how that kit from gorr works out for you! I may want to do the same thing to my 03 cr125. Good luck getting her running right man!!

let me know how that kit from gorr works out for you! I may want to do the same thing to my 03 cr125. Good luck getting her running right man!!

I can tell you how it is going to work before it comes back. I Sent him my son's 2001 CR80 cylinder, head, and exhaust flange a couple years ago. I was in a hurry to get the parts back and he was a week late getting the parts in the mail to me but sent them priorty 3 day. When the parts came back they were packaged well and everything looked really good. Very clean. Everything went back together perfectly, the bike started on the second kick and it had more compression then it had ever had. After breaking it in and getting it jetted, it ran perfectly crisp and clean. It has so much power it is ridiculous.

My CR125 never has had the power that it should but it was running pretty well for a while (before the cylinder wore completly out to the point where it produces basicly no compression even with a new wiseco piston) but the 80 would walk it in a straight line with no trouble. It also walks my next door neigbor's 400ex 4 wheeler.

I had Eric port it for low to mid range power increase and it will stand the front tire up in first gear from nearly an idle, just rolling the throttle. I put a flywheel weight on it to tone it down a bit since I didn't want my son wheelieing over backwards accidentally just rolling the throttle on.

I took it up on a single track trail with elevations up over 10000 feet above sea level and even though it was not jetted properly, it would pull my 170lb body up any trail (when my son was too chicken to try himself).

I would recommend Eric to anyone who asked. He does 1st rate service and has 1st rate pricing. Other big bore kits are much more expensive and I can't imagine them being better.

When you had the cr125 ported how did the top end feel after you got the low to mid range port work done?

I can't decide if I would want a low to mid port or a mid to high port. I ride everything from slow technical trails to very fast trails and a good amount of MX track riding.

When you had the cr125 ported how did the top end feel after you got the low to mid range port work done?

I can't decide if I would want a low to mid port or a mid to high port. I ride everything from slow technical trails to very fast trails and a good amount of MX track riding.

The above story is about the CR80. I got the low to mid porting on the 80 because I didn't want a rev monster for a kid that didn't get to spend much time riding (my son lives with is mother in Kentucky and only gets to ride with me 4-5 times per year. Mid to top porting would be good for expert riders in the supermini class. I think that most people that use the CR80 for a play bike would prefer low to mid porting.

As far as the 125 goes, I can't tell you how the porting will work for it yet. He has 3 types of porting for 125's and 250's. Low to mid, mid to top and what he calls "mo betta" I am getting the "mo betta" because from what I read on his website, it is a compromise between low/mid and mid/top. My 125 is also a play bike so I don't want it to fall flat on its face when it hits a normal 125's power band and I don't want it to be a rev monster either so I chose option 3. when I get it back together and running in a couple months, I will post a ride report.

That sounds like the best option for me also. I am excited to hear how you like the power and how it it hits.

I would really hate to have my top end fall flat, but the low to mid port would be great. Hopefully his "mo better" is a significant increase in both power and drive ability.

I had Gore build me a 144 kit for my '07 CR. I asked for the max, ie high revving screamer. I like it! The kit (due to an increase in displacement) helped the low end but do riders really try to ride the low end on a small bore? The only down side was ring life was 5 hours. After a full season (68hrs) Eric Gore replated the cylinder and widened the exhaust bridge under warranty. He's got my business.

Mark

I had Gore build me a 144 kit for my '07 CR. I asked for the max, ie high revving screamer. I like it! The kit (due to an increase in displacement) helped the low end but do riders really try to ride the low end on a small bore? The only down side was ring life was 5 hours. After a full season (68hrs) Eric Gore replated the cylinder and widened the exhaust bridge under warranty. He's got my business.

Mark

You had to change the rings every five hours? Holy shit that seems like a lot. I was thinking about doing the 144 or 134, but thats a lot of maintainence considering I will ride 15 hrs on a riding trip.

You had to change the rings every five hours? Holy shit that seems like a lot. I was thinking about doing the 144 or 134, but thats a lot of maintainence considering I will ride 15 hrs on a riding trip.

Take a look at his website. I think 5 hours on a ring is the result of the type of engine that Eric had built for the previous poster. You can get much more life out of a ring with different engine configurations.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/mxlites.html

There are many variables. I raced my bike so WOT was the norm. Remember, I asked for the max performance and if you gain in one area you lose in some other. The engine requires race fuel as well. Talk to Eric and he can build whatever fits your needs.

Mark

Good for you. I've had good results with Eric. I had my 02 250 re-plated and ported to increase power throughout the power curve. Needless to say I had to put a fly wheel weight on it to mellow it out. I'm very happy with the work, the turnaround was acceptable and he took the time with me on the phone to discuss the project. When I put it back together it was pinging a little, so I called him up and he talked me through that as well. Now I have the jetting right and all is good. Good choice.