Sign in to follow this  

DRZ SM re-gearing

Thanks to the forum, i read over 20 posts with diffferent styles of gearing and understanding how each setup works in different riding scenarios.

Am looking for somewhat in the middle of these 2 :

1. hwy riding/faster sweeps/ trackday with big bikes - -2/-3 on rear

2. tigher trails/faster accel/kart tracks - +2+3 on rear OR just -1 on front

Here is my riding style:

ocassional freeways/sweeps on canyons

ocassional "easy" dirt/mud roads/trails

ocassional trackdays

am not thinking of sacrificing the top-end speed to the extent, but get a better low-end for the tighter turns and wheelies :smirk:

Hence I have two questions to folks who did experiment multiple changes :

1. how far can i deviate from 15/41 stock on this bike to achieve better low-end yet not sacrifice top speed to that extent.

2. For this bike, How many tooth changes (either front or rear) will let me retain the stock chain length. I guess 1 or 2?

---> 14/43 (-1/+2) or 14/41 (-1) or 15/44 (+3)

Advice much appreciated !

I have the following mods :

fcr slant-style 39mm/3x3 mod/T-4 full exhaust

This site also provided a quicksheet on the ratios / curves

http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin/files/jtgearratio.pdf

Edited by abhijitz

generally eddie suggests for in town and no highway 15/44 is awesome.for a lot of highway 16/41 works good.a little bit of all 15/41.most of the tracks in colorado use 14/44.

I went with 15-38 this year but I also did the fcr 39 and mrd ssw all at the same time,im coming from stock 15-41 gearing with a stock carb re jetted with a KnN and slip on but I'm thinking with my gearing change that my bike will feel the same as stock gearing with slip on.I'm hoping not but time will tell once this snow melts off

2009 SM ... Except for the trackdays item, I ride what you described.

I switched from the stock 15/41 to 14/41 (this is the same as the 15/44 bumtarder mentioned). Stock chain, stock carb, stock exhaust, 3x3 and rejetted. The stock gearing was okay until a buddy asked me to spend a week trailriding in the mountains like we used to do years ago. No way the stock gearing was going to get it done because we would be doing some easy single track that has slow technical sections. I didn't want to have to do that much clutch slipping so I dropped a tooth off the countershaft and crossed my fingers.

It was okay for the slower stuff but if I was doing more I would leave the 14t on the front and add at least 6 teeth to the back. If we go out again this year I plan to do exactly that. But just for that trip.

When I got home after the trip I was a little worried that the lowered final gearing would make highway riding bad but I found that I actually like it. It's only about 500rpm faster at typical highway speeds. It doesn't add any more vibration and it pulls the engine up a bit more into the juicy part of the powerband. I like that at highway speed I can just roll the throttle and it pulls instantly, just like an electric motor. No waiting for it to get up a head of steam. I don't know if it had any effect on top speed. I don't care because I never want to ride it there anyway. I've had it to 140kph (on my GPS) which is nearly 90. That's plenty fast for me. The important thing is that I don't have to ride it any slower than I did with stock gearing and it's more responsive at the speeds I like to ride it at (100kph - 115kph). :smirk:

I should mention that, unlike a couple of my riding buddies who have Harley oil in their veins and short-shift at every opportunity, I love to spin high-revving Japanese engines. :rant:

...ken...

For a mostly stock bike, 15/41 gearing is about the best gear ratio if you're wanting to mix all the possibilities together. If you do more highway, 15/38, 16/41 and even 16/38 is ideal (especially if you have a big bore to pull the taller gearing).

I have 15-39 with 3x3, JD jets, K&N and full LeoVince. I like it alot but I'm pure street and fast stuff, no dirt at all. It's really good for a 60-70mph cruise and feels better overall for how I ride. It made about a 500rpm drop vs the stock 15-41.

I'll be running 15/38 for most of my driving ,but I do have a13 tooth front for when I'm in the mood for terrorizing

Thanks Everyone. I now have a fair understanding of what everybody is running (some match to my style). i will see if i can get hold of some used 39/44 sprockets and buy one 14T for the front.

Thanks Everyone. I now have a fair understanding of what everybody is running (some match to my style). i will see if i can get hold of some used 39/44 sprockets and buy one 14T for the front.

i used a 44 /14 once and after one ride on the track it was gone , way to much work and well it rev so fast was kinda a waist maybe for the dirt it mite work

I'm running 14x48 on my sm and i love it. The cops dont love it though.

you must shift every second up and down plus do you even use 1st and 2nd gear and top speed of 60mph at 10000 rpms maybe ? cant take it on the freeway what do you do ride around the block ?

I'm running 14x48 on my sm and i love it. The cops dont love it though.

....with a dirt 18/21 setup??? That's really close to the factory E model gearing

you must shift every second up and down plus do you even use 1st and 2nd gear and top speed of 60mph at 10000 rpms maybe ? cant take it on the freeway what do you do ride around the block ?

It will top out at 87mph. I dont ride on the freeway anyhow. I enjoy 4th gear wheelies.

• Like 1

It will top out at 87mph. I dont ride on the freeway anyhow. I enjoy 4th gear wheelies.

fun is fun anyway you do it on a drz :smirk:

When my bike was stock with a slip on and re jetted with stock sm gearing I could pull fourth gear and fifth gear wheelies without clutching it up.fifth gear is near impossible though

When my bike was stock with a slip on and re jetted with stock sm gearing I could pull fourth gear and fifth gear wheelies without clutching it up.fifth gear is near impossible though

Cool.

I took my bitch pegs off.:smirk:

I like to sit down and wheelie.