2002 f150 exhaust

hey everyone,

i got a new rust hole in my stock muffler, iv always wanted an aftermarket exhaust on my truck so this is my chance :smirk:

i dont want to spend alot of money on a cat back system so i was thinking i would hack the stock muffler off and clamp on a smaller more free flowing muffler and re-route the exhaust to exit in front of the rear tire. i was wondering though if glass packs where in fact illegal? and if anyone had done this to there ford and how it turned out..

also any suggestions for what muffler to use. im tryna keep it under 100$

Do a precat delete and use the price you sell the pre-cats for to fund new exhaust all the way back. Get some flowmaster muffs.

I did the precat delete on my 98f150 when I swapped in a 5.4 liter. Really simple for an exhaust shop.

The glasspack issue is going to be a state by state thing, I've never experienced any problems from having them. Being that you have cats on there also, this will quiet it down quite a bit too.

Now, do you have emissions testing in MD? If so, I would not touch the cats, even more so if your state is one of those with vehicle inspections required.

The turnout before the wheel thing....Ford did this on the 97 F150's and went away from it because the exhaust gases were damaging the coating and paint on the wheels.

Precat delete? When im under my truck iv seen what looks like a small round muffler (maybe a resonator?) directly after the cats but nothing before them..

Also.. here in md we get emissions testing every 2 years. But there is no vehicle inspections unless your selling.. I was planning on removing the cats just replacing the muffler.

The glasspack issue is going to be a state by state thing, I've never experienced any problems from having them. Being that you have cats on there also, this will quiet it down quite a bit too.

Now, do you have emissions testing in MD? If so, I would not touch the cats, even more so if your state is one of those with vehicle inspections required.

The turnout before the wheel thing....Ford did this on the 97 F150's and went away from it because the exhaust gases were damaging the coating and paint on the wheels.

Like he said we get emissions testing every two years. I went a month ago and the truck passed with flying colors and I have no emissions equipment at all (straight pipe run through the cat) Its a 93 5.0 The guy did put a mirror under my truck and looked to see if I had mufflers and cats though.

Probably better off just gutting out the cat if you do decide to get rid of it. I wouldn't get flowmaster, they dont flow much better than stock... I'd go with cherry bombs.

Removing the precats will not cause you to fail emissions. The primary cats take care of that.

Precat delete? When im under my truck iv seen what looks like a small round muffler (maybe a resonator?) directly after the cats but nothing before them..

Also.. here in md we get emissions testing every 2 years. But there is no vehicle inspections unless your selling.. I was planning on removing the cats just replacing the muffler.

Your truck might actually have the small useless cats behind the primary cats. Sometime around 2002 they changed the design and made it the opposite of what it was before. I guess I should ask is this a 6 or 8 cyl?

If you plan on removing the cats altogether you will need to modify the bung for the O2 sensors or you will trigger an SEL. The easiest way is to make an extension that keeps most of the sensor out of the exhaust flow. Go to F150online.com and use the search function to search the forum for "pre-cat delete" you will find a plethora of information pertaining to doing exactly that. You dont need to be a member to use the forum but you its free to join and there are some very knowledgeable folks that will help with your questions.

Probably better off just gutting out the cat if you do decide to get rid of it. I wouldn't get flowmaster, they dont flow much better than stock... I'd go with cherry bombs.

Please do not just gut the cats. its throwing away $$. You can buy a brand new flowmaster exhaust for your truck for what you can get for the cats. at least on the v8 f150.

Read through this if you want to learn more.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/366342-02-f-150-cats-precats-exhaust-help-darren-help-me.html

mine looked similar to this on both sides, I simply cut out the front cats and went that route.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr2JTti6ctemcRUj5lNU1NRYPKXtVKbhIqIACAcfG_JqsCBbeb

Yours should look similar to this. maybe the other way around with the small cat behind the large though.