Chris03HD

Need some quick DR200 Oil-Change help

10 posts in this topic

Alright, removed both drain plugs, replaced crush washers, new oil filter, new filter o-ring, new filter housing cover o-ring, removed 3 bolt cover and cleaned screen and replaced the cover's o-ring as well.

Now to add the 10w40 oil.

QUESTION: how many (estimated) quarts when all is said and done (checked after warm-up) and when I removed both drain plugs, that was only the crankcase correct... nothing to do with the transmission (i know they use the same oil)?

Thank you in advance! :smirk:

Engine oil change......................... 850 ml (0.9/0.7 US/Imp qt)

with filter change......................... 950 ml (1.0/0.8 US/Imp qt)

Engine oil change......................... 850 ml (0.9/0.7 US/Imp qt)

with filter change......................... 950 ml (1.0/0.8 US/Imp qt)

Thank you sir. :smirk:

And the two drain plugs, they were both for engine oil only, or did I also drain the trans fluid? :rant:

With a filter change the DR200 takes one US quart of 10w-40 oil. Both the engine and transmission share the same oil.

I guess that answers my question of, did I drain the engine oil and trans fluid by removing BOTH drain plugs under the engine!... But why are there TWO plugs to ADD fluid on either side?

I guess that answers my question of, did I drain the engine oil and trans fluid by removing BOTH drain plugs under the engine!... But why are there TWO plugs to ADD fluid on either side?

New DR owner here too and wondering about the drain plugs, can I just remove one or should I remove them both? The illistration in the online manual is hard to see but it looks like there is only one drain plug illistrated.

The second fill plug on the left is for checking tdc, but I am too wondering what the second drain plug is for

I know this thread is old but I am wondering this too. I have searched the internet about what that second plug is for and cannot find out. It is not anywhere in the manuel either.  I changed the oil in mine today and mistakenly unscrewed the second plug first instead of the oil plug.  Most of the oil drained out through it. I then removed the "official" oil plug and a little more oil drained out  then I cleaned the oil strainer.  I am just going to refill it and see how it does. I sure would like to know why there are both of the plugs though.

The owner’s manual and the shop manual show you which bolt to unscrew to drain oil. It’s the one to the left and it’s a little lower. The one to the right is not referenced in the manuals, as far as I see. There is only one oil filling hole and it’s on the right side. The filling plug does not need tools for turning. The oil filter should be replaced on occasion and the oil filter lid is on the right side of the engine, mounted with three screws.