Sign in to follow this  

Are Pod Mx braces worth the $$$$?

Im looking for some input from people who have worn the Pod Mx braces for a while. Now that they've been out for a few years, how do they hold up? Are they really worth the extra money ($150 more than Asterisk's)?

I've been wearing Asterisks for the last 3 seasons and they have been pretty good. I just dont like how bulky they are. I wore a custom brace before that, but it didn't fit in the boot very well and the hinge wore out pretty quick. I've heard the Pods are thinner and lighter than Asterisk, but i dont know how well they are going to hold up. I don't want to spend $750 for a set of braces that are only going to last 1 year, because the straps wont hold or the pads are trashed or whatever......

The asterisk are more common and I agree on the same thing about size. Hard to fit in some pants / boots. Pretty tight with my SIDI's

I have heard the Astar carbon are pretty nice and comfy. Never tried them on.

The PODS get good reviews but I have not seen them up close, they look bulky to me.

Have you used them?

Don't need to try the Pods...just put then side by side with any legit knee brace and judge for yourself. Pick any one you want. Troy Lee, Asterisk, CTI (Asterisk parent company) or the EVS Web. They all make the pod look silly.

I have the TLD brace. super comfy, great fit, super adjustable and a low profile so as not to be bulky in your pants. The stops are adjustable, and the hinge is covered so it won't wear through your pants. On top of that they are lighter than the rest and cost less too.

Don't need to try the Pods...just put then side by side with any legit knee brace and judge for yourself. Pick any one you want. Troy Lee, Asterisk, CTI (Asterisk parent company) or the EVS Web. They all make the pod look silly.

I have the TLD brace. super comfy, great fit, super adjustable and a low profile so as not to be bulky in your pants. The stops are adjustable, and the hinge is covered so it won't wear through your pants. On top of that they are lighter than the rest and cost less too.

Thanks for the input.

Ignorance is bliss.

I have the POD, been using for only a bit under a year though. I have the new k700 version. They are definitely legit knee BRACES, and provide just as much stability as others. I also have a don-joy brace, and tried on the asterisk. POD's were way more comfy and functional for me.

Pros:

-Very slim and light. You could wear these under jeans and no one would notice

-Knee cup is solidly attached directly to the knee brace frame, so knee cup impacts have basically no chance of touching your patella. This was a nice benefit compared to some others where the knee cup is attached just through flexy neoprene, and could easily transfer impact to your patella.

-Easy to get on and off.

Cons:

-Sizing chart is off (IMO). I had to buy sight unseen since no stores around here carried them, and ended up with braces that were too small (correctly used the website chart too). I'd say go one size up from what the chart says.

-More expensive than some others

Mine have been holding up well for use on dirt bikes, downhill mountain bikes, and snowboards. I've definitely had some falls with them on too. Took a sharp rock to my shin right where the brace was, gave me a good size bruise for a few weeks. Brace is fine though.

Ignorance is bliss.

I have the POD, been using for only a bit under a year though. I have the new k700 version. They are definitely legit knee BRACES, and provide just as much stability as others. I also have a don-joy brace, and tried on the asterisk. POD's were way more comfy and functional for me.

Pros:

-Very slim and light. You could wear these under jeans and no one would notice

-Knee cup is solidly attached directly to the knee brace frame, so knee cup impacts have basically no chance of touching your patella. This was a nice benefit compared to some others where the knee cup is attached just through flexy neoprene, and could easily transfer impact to your patella.

-Easy to get on and off.

Cons:

-Sizing chart is off (IMO). I had to buy sight unseen since no stores around here carried them, and ended up with braces that were too small (correctly used the website chart too). I'd say go one size up from what the chart says.

-More expensive than some others

Mine have been holding up well for use on dirt bikes, downhill mountain bikes, and snowboards. I've definitely had some falls with them on too. Took a sharp rock to my shin right where the brace was, gave me a good size bruise for a few weeks. Brace is fine though.

Dude, I certainly am not ignorant. I work in this business and have see products come and go an can tell good from bad. Lets talk about ignorance for a moment....Have you see the TLD brace or tried it on? Did you konw that it was made in the USA by VQ Ortho Care? Goggle it if you like, I think you will be impressed. I have seen the pod and the TLD side by side and the TLD wins out in every category. The knee cup has way more padding in it and is larger to provide more coverage. The fact that they are aluminum allows them to be as light or lighter than the other braces on the market and super slim. They won't break or shatter like the carbon braces will (and they will break and shatter. I have done it. which is why I haven't ridden since October). On top of that I showed them to my Orthopedic and he was very impressed as was my physical therapy guy. That endorsement alone was enough to convince me I made the right choice! Plus the are like $100 bucks cheaper than pods. Take what I say for what its worth. I am an industry guy that just had his first knee injury ever, (I was wearing EVS Webs at the time) I have literally 40 years of riding and racing (as well as a lengthy wrestling and football career) under my belt. I had my first knee ever surgery last December. My surgeon rides motorcycles as well and when he says what I got is legit I gotta go with that.

I know knee braces are supposed to protect your knees, but I would rather the knee brace shatter and mess up my knee than to have a solid metal thing on my leg and it break clean through my femur.

I wear braces (EVS Visions, can't afford "real" braces) and use them for their support for regular riding stress as well as for protection in crashes. However I hope that if the impact is severe enough to brake my femur that the braces will give first.

I would never wear an aluminum brace or one that is designed NOT to (brake/protect your femur) under a lot of force. This is the reason why I didn't buy those new 661 cyclone braces or whatever they were called, is because they were aluminum.

Aluminum is a good brace material. I've been wearing an aluminum Bledsoe brace on my right knee for ten years and it's very similar to the new TLD braces. Looks like the TLD might be pretty good. I wear a CTi2 on my left knee. They are the best, hands down. My buddy wears pods and they are an excellent product as long as their sizing fits you. Any knee brace you choose has to fit your leg well to work properly.

CTi makes an excellent product if you can get the script from your ortho guy. Breeze!.....seriously? you would rather have the brace shatter and cut you up? Again do the research. There is flex built into the TLD brace thats not in traditional carbon braces. I broke my fibula when I took my knee out! the carbon is inflexible and therefor has a greater chance of braking a bone. Think about it.....

CTi makes an excellent product if you can get the script from your ortho guy. Breeze!.....seriously? you would rather have the brace shatter and cut you up? Again do the research. There is flex built into the TLD brace thats not in traditional carbon braces. I broke my fibula when I took my knee out! the carbon is inflexible and therefor has a greater chance of braking a bone. Think about it.....

Oh sorry:o I always thought aluminum was real rigid:bonk:

I ended up going with the Pods because my Insurance paid for them. So far they have been great. They are much lighter and slimmer than my Asterisks. They stay in place well and I don’t even notice them while ridding. The one down fall, is the strapping system. You have to adjust them every ride. Where the Asterisks, you just adjust once and they are always the same after that. It would be nice if there was some sort of buckle system on the Pod straps. Other than that, they are great. Not sure If I'd say they are $150 better than my Asterisks, but I got exactly what I was looking for. A lighter, slimmer set of braces.