Washington SB5800 - Plates for dirt bikes

I quickly read through SB5800 and one of the pluses is it takes the inspection out of the hands of the WSP and into the hands of approved Motorcycle dealerships or repair shop. There is a $50 max. fee. Without reading all the associated and cited rcw's it appears that the requirements will be similar to those required by the state patrol when they inspected and passed my KX500for a plate. Anyway I don't know for sure that this is a good thing without checking all the related and referenced rcw's. I like everyone else am waiting on Todds evaluation.

Just a side note or thought. This would be a method of getting all those plates the state has been having trouble finding registered in a seperate and easy to access location. So that when this SB gets revoked they can revoke all plates in one fell swoop. I know that is negative but that is exactly what they have tried to do already so why would they not do it again. The bottom line is - we really don't have a choice and all we can do is hope that I am just paranoid.

Seems like a good way to raise tax revenue.

That is fantastic news!

That what I was thinking. all those plated bikes wont renew starting this year. With this as an option, more revenue for the state. I will have to convert my bike again but add everything, then get it plated again. A repair shop??? I could do my own at work. :smirk:

I quickly read through SB5800 and one of the pluses is it takes the inspection out of the hands of the WSP and into the hands of approved Motorcycle dealerships or repair shop. There is a $50 max. fee. Without reading all the associated and cited rcw's it appears that the requirements will be similar to those required by the state patrol when they inspected and passed my KX500for a plate. Anyway I don't know for sure that this is a good thing without checking all the related and referenced rcw's. I like everyone else am waiting on Todds evaluation.

Just a side note or thought. This would be a method of getting all those plates the state has been having trouble finding registered in a seperate and easy to access location. So that when this SB gets revoked they can revoke all plates in one fell swoop. I know that is negative but that is exactly what they have tried to do already so why would they not do it again. The bottom line is - we really don't have a choice and all we can do is hope that I am just paranoid.

OMT, the difference is the state is beyond broke and needs to generate $$$, and this is just one way. I'm staying hopeful. :smirk:

State needs to figure out more win-win deals like this for revenue, instead of the double screw tactics.

Sure the shops will have to check into their liability? just like before some shops wouldn't touch the plate issue.

State needs to figure out more win-win deals like this for revenue, instead of the double screw tactics.

Sure the shops will have to check into their liability? just like before some shops wouldn't touch the plate issue.

If the state and feds set the criteria which is what the bill says then it falls back on them as long as the shop inspectors don't cut corners or do favors for friends.

Now lets add it up. The cost of a pass to ride on DNR land $30 for your truck and $30. for your newly plated bike. The cost of plate tabs and ORV tab will be about $50-60 more dollars (New Bill requires that you have both ORV and plate tabs). Assuming your the only rider in your family that comes to $120.00to ride for one year only. Add to that the expenses associated with riding national forest with a pass is another $30+. Now you putting out $150+ for just one rider to be able to use all possible riding areas.

May not seem like much to someone who is flush in cash. But for the guy who has an older paid for bike and a thin wallet due the cost of bringing up a family that is a lot of money. So guess what he aint riding but staying home paying for more important things.

Im glad they are opening the door again but they have opened this door more than once in Washington only to close it later. I would probably give in and make my bikes plated but I am single and have very few expenses. I don't think I will continue to ride DNR land if these new fees become law.

you describe the double screw tactic perfectly

to me it'd be worth $50 to plate my dirtbike, plus the dealer would make out selling me some accessory's to do it. the win win

The whole idea of being taxed out of a hobby minds me of a friend from Italy who was never able to ride till he moved to the US. Also minds me of what my dad told me many years ago, taxes and fee's would be pushed to the point of making otherwise honest people crooks.

OK when the state started pulling plates people were up in arms. Now it looks like we have a bill that may be doing the right thing. If this will allows a person to take an off road bike and add what is needed to meet the RCWs and get a street plate I am all for it.

This would be a win win win all around for everyone. With the issues we all face today our state is far better off getting as many people as possible to use bikes than a gas hog big rig like my 97 454 crew cab. The environment wins, the state wins. and we win...

The fine print will tell the tail. One would think it is a simple thing to come up with legislation that makes sense but the track record shows a pattern of screwing it up.

I hope that this does the right thing.

Joe........

Hmmm, well I want to be optimistic.

The wife's crf needs a plate!

This state can't get anything right, IMO. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

OK when the state started pulling plates people were up in arms. Now it looks like we have a bill that may be doing the right thing. If this will allows a person to take an off road bike and add what is needed to meet the RCWs and get a street plate I am all for it.

This would be a win win win all around for everyone. With the issues we all face today our state is far better off getting as many people as possible to use bikes than a gas hog big rig like my 97 454 crew cab. The environment wins, the state wins. and we win...

The fine print will tell the tail. One would think it is a simple thing to come up with legislation that makes sense but the track record shows a pattern of screwing it up.

I hope that this does the right thing.

Joe........

Now Joe, are you really telling us you will ride your newly plated dirt bike 150+ miles to ride single track in Taneum, Teanaway, Lake Wenatchee, Devils Gulch or Naches and maybe even the Green dots. Then after you get to your destination put in another 60 or more miles of single track or desert riding and then another 150 miles back home. Wow Joe, you really have a nice seat on your dirt bikes. Too much of the hwy riding will assure you of a new dirt bike every few years. Hmmmm is that the plan? :rant:

But I suspect you are going to fire up the ole 454 anyway. And I really doubt you will have much of an impact on our envirement when you do. I think the 454 is a wonderful motor. :smirk:

However, I would not mind taking my 144 to the store to get a six pack;) As far as taking some long road trip, no.

Joe........

:smirk::p:rant:

A few concerns, but overall good stuff :lol:

Section 3 (2) words “any other” could be used to make the bill pointless.

This gives the DoL an out if they don't want to play, but with Senate Transportation Committee Chairman Haugen the prime sponoser that would not be a wise choice.

Section 2 (1)(K) requirescompliance with RCW46.37.500

Do street bikes currently have to comply with RCW46.37.500 (fenders)?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.500

Will dealerships participate in the inspection process outlined in Section 3 (3)?

Overall, it is just what we asked for.

Let our bikes that comply with street laws be street legal :p

Thank Senators Haugen and King for listening to us and taking action.

Haugen.MaryMargaret@leg.wa.gov

King.Curtis@leg.wa.gov

Looks OK on a quick read except that it requires turn signals which the current RCW does not require for motorcycles.

I wonder who qrote this bill?

I don't know why that was inserted but I see problems because a dirt bike's rear tire does not have an apron. This could be used to force street fenders onto plated dirt bikes different than street bikes unless the bike is more than forty years old.:smirk:

RCW 46.37.500

Fenders or splash aprons.

(1) Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no person may operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is not equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least to the center of the axle.

(2) A motor vehicle that is not less than forty years old or a street rod vehicle that is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.

except that it requires turn signals which the current RCW does not require for motorcycles.

My understanding is that turn signals are not required on bike that did not originally come with them.

Since this legislation is all about bring the bikes up to street equipment expectations, this will stick because new street legal bikes all have them.

I don't know why that was inserted but I see problems because a dirt bike's rear tire does not have an apron. This could be used to force street fenders onto plated dirt bikes different than street bikes unless the bike is more than forty years old.:smirk:

this is currently the law for ALL vehicles. Occasionally a cop will warn or ticket if you don't have mud flaps that go that far down. You see lifted red neck rigs all the time with no flaps, and nearly all of it's 35" tire showing. They just don't enforce this very much. Even the CURRENT street legal bikes don't have fenders like this. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it