Hare Scambles

Yea, so i am gonna race my 2010 crf250r in hare scrambles this year. My bike is completely stock except for the exhaust. I will be racing for a 2 hr period more or less and have only a 1.5 gallon tank.... Will I need more?, If so, how much more? I don't want to have to stop and refill during laps....

Thanks

you wont make 2 hours...get the Clarke

Why do you say to get the clarke? I was considering the Acerbis, because they offer a 2.7 gallon, and I think the clarke is only 2.3. Just curious, I have never bought a larger tank before, but I am in the same boat as the original poster, because the 2010 tank is so small.

I ran 2hr and a couple 3hr (national) scrambles last year in B 4 stroke with my bike and had to pit for fuel every race. I usually would stop in at the 1 hour to 1.5 hour mark and dump a gallon. Some races were sort of "I think I can make it" but I never pushed my luck. Really depends on how open the track is and how hard you ride. I just purchased and IMS tank last week for this season and mocked it up the other night... Let me tell you, it's one big mofo compared to the stocker. Went with IMS because I have always run them on my previous bikes, heard Clarke quality isn't great and haven't gotten a review for the Acerbis. I would go with the natural/clear color so you can see your fuel level. Should be interesting to see how the bike handles with the extra weight.

BTW what race are you running?

thanks guys for the comments....i will be racing 250c for a 1.5 hr period......infamy, what year bike do you have....is it a 2010 with the small tank?

kawirider6- What type of difference would extra weight make? Would it be harder to jump?

no, mines an 05 with stock tank. are the 2010s much smaller?

I bought a larger clear Clarke tank, fit and finish is great. I did this to allow me to skip one pit stop in each race.

In practise I find the difference in feel of the bike is quite different. I really like the light flickable feel the stoker has. I removed the big tank and went back to stock. My races always have gas available within my stock fuel range anyway.

I prefer to stop, pick up a gallon, have a power gel, change goggles and go again. All on a very light feeling bike. The larger tank is VERY noticeable to me.

I will sell my big tank....

I also like to pit but I lost 2 races last year due to the time it took to get fuel and be gone. I have a 2010 crf250. Water weights about 8 lbs a gallon and fuel is roughly the same so you are adding about 10 lbs or so. Harder to jump? It will change the feel of the bikes handling up a little bit, not really harder, and should be easy to adapt to. I really wouldn't worry about it. The IMS is 2.7 gallons.

You racing ECEA?