Sign in to follow this  

Not sure what to do

I live in canada, just across the border, in Sumas. I would like to get my suspension revalved but I am not sure who I should get to do it. As far as I know, there is nobody that specializes in WP suspension in my area. There is a local shop that does ktm stuff but I was wondering if I should just ship it to a place in the states, like ktmworld, or if I should use the local tuner, RMR suspension.

My bike is a 2006 KTM xc-w 300.

Without a doubt, send it to Ian McKill in Vernon BC. www.ridersedgesuspension.com

Ian is the KTM god in western Canada. He tunes for all the big names and is an extremely fast expert woods racer himself. Nothing against Rod, but Ian's product will outperform 10 to 1.

Chris Bonneau with Pro-Action in Calgary did my suspension on my KTM, I was extremely happy with the work he did. I thought his price was alittle high but I had a few extras added such a seal savers and what not. I would go to him again if I bought another KTM but I have a YZ now and had Tim from ENZO do it, again extremely happy! Bladder kit in my opinion isnt worth it. Unless you really sensitive to suspension adjustments and are a super fast rider, I would recommened saving your money for something else. Just my 2 cents.... His number is 403 685 9400.

First thing I would do with a WP shock is put a bladder kit in it. First of all, again I'm not tryin to sound like a Rider's Edge salesman, but Ian's bladder kits have been tested on a dyno and have proven to decrease shock temperature by 50 degrees.

Second, a bladder helps to take the hit out of square edge bumps. It reacts quicker/easier than a piston style reservoir. Bang for your buck it's a must do. It also makes your shock WAY easier to service. Ian's bladder kits are only $170.

On the Pro Action side of things, I just had an 08 KTM300 in my shop two weeks ago than had been revalves by Pro Action in Calgary. The shock, they had only reworked the shim stacks on the stock pistons and did a very odd job at that. The shock had an older style Langston racing progressive spring on it that didn't fit properly and had aggresively rubbed/chaffed the shock body badly. It looked nasty. The forks had the base valve replaced to the Pro Action valve which is a bit dated to be polite. Suspension has evolved so much in the last 15 years, yet the Pro Action valves seem to have remained unchanged. They have tiny ports which are super restrictive. This results in high speed harshness as no matter how light a shim stack you put on it, the piston restricts the flow.

Biggest thing to remember when thinking about suspension, is you only know the best you have ridden. If you've only ever had sub par suspension, you're gonna say that's the sweetest suspension you've ever ridden. Even if there's way better out there. I highly recommend talking with different riders Nd different suspension tuners before spendin your money. If they're not willing or able to explain how and why their suspension works and why it's better/worse than others, I would keep looking.

Ian has separate pistons for Woods racing, motocross, base valves and mid valves for forks, primary and secondary pistons for WP shocks as well as he rigorously tests springs to verify their rates before Installing them. You wouldn't believe how many boxes of .48 fork springs you have to test sometimes to actually get .48's.

Anyways, I don't want this to come across as me slamming Chris or anyone at Pro Action. They have their way of tuning things and I have my ideas of how things should be set up.

It all works, just some handle different aspects of riding better others.

First thing I would do with a WP shock is put a bladder kit in it. First of all, again I'm not tryin to sound like a Rider's Edge salesman, but Ian's bladder kits have been tested on a dyno and have proven to decrease shock temperature by 50 degrees.

Second, a bladder helps to take the hit out of square edge bumps. It reacts quicker/easier than a piston style reservoir. Bang for your buck it's a must do. It also makes your shock WAY easier to service. Ian's bladder kits are only $170.

On the Pro Action side of things, I just had an 08 KTM300 in my shop two weeks ago than had been revalves by Pro Action in Calgary. The shock, they had only reworked the shim stacks on the stock pistons and did a very odd job at that. The shock had an older style Langston racing progressive spring on it that didn't fit properly and had aggresively rubbed/chaffed the shock body badly. It looked nasty. The forks had the base valve replaced to the Pro Action valve which is a bit dated to be polite. Suspension has evolved so much in the last 15 years, yet the Pro Action valves seem to have remained unchanged. They have tiny ports which are super restrictive. This results in high speed harshness as no matter how light a shim stack you put on it, the piston restricts the flow.

Biggest thing to remember when thinking about suspension, is you only know the best you have ridden. If you've only ever had sub par suspension, you're gonna say that's the sweetest suspension you've ever ridden. Even if there's way better out there. I highly recommend talking with different riders Nd different suspension tuners before spendin your money. If they're not willing or able to explain how and why their suspension works and why it's better/worse than others, I would keep looking.

Ian has separate pistons for Woods racing, motocross, base valves and mid valves for forks, primary and secondary pistons for WP shocks as well as he rigorously tests springs to verify their rates before Installing them. You wouldn't believe how many boxes of .48 fork springs you have to test sometimes to actually get .48's.

Anyways, I don't want this to come across as me slamming Chris or anyone at Pro Action. They have their way of tuning things and I have my ideas of how things should be set up.

It all works, just some handle different aspects of riding better others.

Thats interesting what your saying. I did notice the Langston Proggresive spring on my bike (09 KTM 300XCW) weird!! Im one of those "ride anything fast guys" so suspension was never my strong suit. You make a great point about riding what you only know. After Tim at Enzo did my YZ, the suspension was twice as good as my KTM. I have ridden a few other pro-action suspended bike and they all felt roughly the same but as for my enzo stuff, its a heads and tails difference. I thought it had to do with KYB stuff which is better to start with out of the box but I rode other Enzo bikes (Honda, Suzuki and Yamahas) and the suspension was just phenomanal compared to the the other Pro-Action bikes.

Hmmmmm. I have never ridden a bike that has been revalved so i am kind of nervous about spending money on it. But I guess its like the guys say, you dont know what your missing until you try it. Guess I just have to bite the bullet and ship it to riders edge. :smirk:

Thanks for all the advise guys. I just figured I would give you guys an update. Instead of getting my suspension revalved, I bought a Toyota 4X4. :smirk:

Gp moto can you post the wp shock shim stacks from pro action. Thanks

Thanks for all the advise guys. I just figured I would give you guys an update. Instead of getting my suspension revalved, I bought a Toyota 4X4. :smirk:

Ummm, alll fine and dandy, except the toyota part! Enjoy you Prius!!!

Gp moto can you post the wp shock shim stacks from pro action. Thanks

OK, I REALLY don't want this to come across the wrong way, but may I ask who you are and your reasoning for this? I'm OK with doing it, but like I said, I don't want to piss off anyone at Pro Action. Technically, it's their information. Well, I guess technically speaking they sold it to the gentleman they installed it on, but, well you know what I mean.

Anyways, if you want the stacks for yourself to analyze and make your mind up, I'll PM them to you, or if you are someone who works at Pro Action, and in some way I have upset you, feel free to call me at my shop and we can discuss it. 778-471-5995

gp moto this is a suspension forum people swap information and idears.:smirk:

That's right. But you don't know how much the rider weighed, what type/skill level he was, what type of bike he rode, what rate springs were in it, wether it had a bladder or not, stock primary piston? Stock secondary? Pro Action pistons......?

So sure, I'll post the shim stacks. Just not sure what good they'll do you.

Funny you put that little action figure of a guy beating a head against a wall, yet that's how educated suspension tuners feel sometimes when uneducated people only ask for half the information they should be...

Well rather than spending all week long arguing and posting hundreds of messages saying, yes but what about this and that, and he said this and she said that. Which also pisses people off wright it all down and share your ideas about your coments you originally made. Please if that's to hard to do don't worry about it because I'm not bothered that much