Sign in to follow this  

Coolant Ratio?

The manual for my 07 WR250 says to mix the coolant with water at a 1:1 ratio. Is it alright to run straight coolant with no water? What are advantages of adding water?

Running straight coolant does not allow the fluid to absorb the heat and then transfer it out to the fins as well as water. Running straight water allows the better heat transfer but adding the coolant allows the boiling temp to rise and freezing temp to lower. So running a 50/50 mix is the ideal ratio. Adding something like "Water Wetter" allows the fluid to absorb more heat and then releasing it in the radiator fins.

Would using Water Wetter really be that beneficial? I don't race or ride the bike super hard. And Cincinnati summers rarely get above 90

No if you climate is not brutal then run the bike at 50 50 or 60 coolant and 40 water if you really want to. Running straight coolant is not better than mixing.

Would using Water Wetter really be that beneficial? I don't race or ride the bike super hard. And Cincinnati summers rarely get above 90

It does work great but not needed if not racing in high heat

If you live in Cincy DO NOT USE water wetter. Water wetter will freeze if your bike gets below 32 degrees. If your bike freezes you can crack the head

Water is actually a better heat dissipater that anti-freeze but it is very corrosive to any metals. The anti-freeze has the corrosion preventers and of course the anti-freeze protection.

I would use only distilled water in mixing too for good measure.