New x-ring chain

I was wondering if there's proper procedure for installing a new x-ring chain.Is just slapping it on the bike right?Clean it?With what?:smirk:

I clean my new chains with WD.

I ride them clean, just wipe with a rag and install.

Thats what I have done in the past,,,just wipe off the packing grease,,,put on some chain lube and away we go.:smirk:

Not sure if it is the same master link as the X but I just bought a D.I.D. O-ring chain with the clip style master. How does everyone else press the plate on before the clip? Pliers? I dont want to damage it but it cant be done by hand.

I use a 8mm boxed wrench and channel locks to seat the plate down; back and forth a couple times. clip slides right on.

There is a VM specific master link.

i just installed my rk xring chain and sprockets. went down to harbor freight and bought the 14.00 chain breaker. it worked well on the clip install. very smooth and easy.

I think the best way is to measure the width of a link with calipers. Then grease up your rings and press the master link together until it is the same width as the links. You don't want to squish the X rings. I use the Clip style master link and still press the plate on as it is just easier.

I put a 1/4" nut over the pin and press the plate on with vice grips going back and forth a couple times. You don't want to seat one side completely becuase the plate will be cocked and it'll be harder to get the other side on. You can't really over press the plate on, sometimes you can barely press it enough to get the clip on.

I think the best way is to measure the width of a link with calipers. Then grease up your rings and press the master link together until it is the same width as the links. You don't want to squish the X rings. I use the Clip style master link and still press the plate on as it is just easier.

yes, it's important to not press the plate on too much or the o-x-rings will be flattened too much, with too much pressure and could be damaged when you ride. Some chains come with cool drop in spacers for each side.. drop the 2 spacers in.. press the plate, pull the spacers out, done. OR as mentioned above, press the plate a bit then measure a near by link with the caliper and be sure they are very close. Rivit style link is best, but if using a clip make sure you have the closed end facing the chain direction.. and remember it is a spring! (the clip is curved). It needs to go on that it is curved inward toward the link plate to keep pressure on itself.