DRZ and RV

Looking for a hitch receiver type carrier suitable for single or double carry that has another receiver on back. Looking to trailer a 20 foot RV with the DRZ in the middle. Has anyone run across something like this? Currently have both single and double carriers from Discount Ramps and am very happy with them but don't see this configuration on their website. Tow vehicle is Ford Excursion with air bags so tongue weight should not be an issue.

Tongue weight supposd to be between 10%-15%. A 300 lb bike plus the carrier may be too much. Put a receiver hitch on the back of the RV trailer & use your current carrier. You may have to beef up the RV's frame to do it(they cheese them with thin metal), but it wouldn't take a competent welder more than an hour.

Or, buy a front receiver for the Excursion(aftermarket bolt on's available) & mount the Z in front of the front bumper.

RD

All good suggestions.

You're right about the frame tubing being cheesy. I crawled under one today that fit our requirements, the frame rails were definitely no thicker than necessary to support the box. I think metal would have to run pretty far up the chassis to create some structural suport. Front hitch sounds possible. Just wonder if front springs might need to be beefier and if headlights would be obscured. Planning for a summer road trip and I ABSOLUTELY have to have two wheels with me.

I have the double rack for mine and it has worked great :smirk:

PGP%20track%20time%203-20-10%20012.JPG

The issue won't be the combined weight of the DRZ and rack. A friend has a Toyota FJ Cruiser and when we did the calculations it would handle it just fine. It will be adding the hitch weight of the trailer, especially when the trailer is going on so much farther behind the rear axle with the extension of the rack in between.

It will be a mess trying to tow that setup. If there's any sideways movement in the trailer from crosswinds or semi-truck ruts in the pavement, that extra hitch length is going to give the trailer loads of leverage to yank the ass end of the tow vehicle around.

...ken...

I wouldn't put a DR-Z on the back of a travel trailer unless you get your towing setup weighed to make sure you have enough tongue weight. You also better make sure the trailers frame is up to the task of hauling 350 lbs off the back like that. Most aren't. You can mount a single carrier to an extended tow bar but be sure you understand how much additional load you're placing on the hitch. In my opinion either of these scenarios just aren't a good idea. I'd say your best option is putting the bike in the front of your Excursion. You may want to look into helper springs for the front, though. I think Timbren makes a set for your application.

What about a small trailer behind the RV to haul the DRZ? Sure you'd be quite the train, but I've seen it done before.

Heres one more option. I have seen truck campers with a 4 to 6 ft. hitch extension to claer the overhang of some of the bigger truck campers that pull 16 to 20 trailers with dirt bike in them. Maybe you could mount a 2 bike carrier to the frame, then the hitch extension. That might work. www.rv.net/ under forums, truck camper, then do a search.

What about a small trailer behind the RV to haul the DRZ? Sure you'd be quite the train, but I've seen it done before.

I believe that is only legal with a 5th wheel setup, and even then you may need a commercial driver's license.

I believe that is only legal with a 5th wheel setup, and even then you may need a commercial driver's license.

I think that this varies from state to state. For instance, I've seen that set up a few times here in Idaho - looks sketchy at best.

See guys running tray racks behind double axle hard side trailers all the time.

I have the double rack for mine and it has worked great :smirk:

PGP%20track%20time%203-20-10%20012.JPG

Hey I just bought a single bike hitch rack like the one in your pic. What type of straps are you using? Are they the standard motorcycle tie downs or ratchet or something else and how may per bike? Trying to find out what the best strap is that wont come loose after driving a while.

Just get a toy hauler to replace the RV trailer...

Blast-toy-hauler.jpg

I would be quite happy with a toy hauler but in the size we're looking at their just not plush enough to suit the wife. I can't quite sell her on the idea of a bunk, the little prima donna actually wants a real matress to sleep on. Going to either hang it off the back of the camper or mount on the front of the Excursion. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hang it off the front. We tried to build a carrier for the back of My brothers Trailer. It consisted of three class 3 recievers and a Aluminum tray. It was still too heavy and you couldn't see the bike and ppl behind couldn't see the brake lights. Your truck should be able to handle the weight on the front. I know most snow plows weigh more than the Z.