Hanging idle / Slow throttle down on 2006 TTR-90

One of the TTR's my kids ride has developed a "hanging throttle" symptom. When throttle is released, the bike slowly returns down to idle... if that makes any sense. So when the kid is riding towards a corner, the bike continues to throttle forward until it returns to idle instead of instant gas off when throttle is released.

Checked throttle tube and cable...all good.

Cleaned out float and did a cursory check-over of carb (what a pita to work on compared to our big bikes.)

Any ideas? Do a complete carb tear-apart? Is there something else I could check before a complete rebuild?

mx813

A partially plugged pilot jet will cause a lean condition, which is what a hanging idle is.

The stock 12.5 pilot is a little lean to begin with, and a 15 pilot with the fuel screw turned out to about 2.0 turns will run a lot better.

Thanks leardriver! Will scrounge up a new pilot and give that a whirl. I imagine that'll give it some better off idle throttle response as well (if it mimics a fcr carb.)

Thanks leardriver! Will scrounge up a new pilot and give that a whirl. I imagine that'll give it some better off idle throttle response as well (if it mimics a fcr carb.)