Move from TE310 to GG EC300?

I currently ride an 08 Husqvarna TE250 (with a 310 kit I installed last year); however, I've been eying the 2011 Gas Gas EC300's and I'm trying to get an idea of how it would compare to my Husky. Partly this is also a "should I make the jump back to 2-strokes?" question. Or maybe "what will I miss if I do?" Low end? I hear claims that the EC300 "pulls like a 450 4T off the bottom". Smooth power band? I also read that the EC300 has a very smooth, tractable power band. How about weight, suspension, range, ergonomics? The older EC300's often got dinged on mediocre suspension, but I think they addressed that. I'm 6-2, so the tallness of the TE is fine for me; how does the GG fit a tall guy? (I've sat on one, but it's hard to assess on a showroom floor.) I'm not sure that the EC300 is that much lighter, but I read different figures here and there.

A quick bit of background on why I'm thinking about this.

My two main reasons are that I'd like a lighter bike, and even though it's been a while since my last 2T (KDX200) I still kind of miss that more immediate hit of power when you're clipping along. The TE310 (esp now that I have a JD EFI tuner in it) generally has all the peak power I need for 99% of my riding: tight Washington State woods - the tighter and more technical, the better :smirk: That other 1% is the Desert 100, where the power and geometry of a 450 4-stroke is king and any enduro/trail/woods bike suffers a bit.

So how does the power delivery of the EC300 compare to a TE310 in the low-end? Will the 300 really deliver a more tractable low end? One of the things that made me make the move from 2-strokes to 4-strokes was the lack of low end in my KDX200. I certainly could use a little more low end, whether it's 450-like torque, or just the ability to lug the engine without a big delay when you do need power. In the mixed medium-to-tight stuff I sometimes find the TE to be very responsive albeit too twitchy in 1st gear, but a bit "flaccid" in 2nd if things slow down, esp if you then need a bit of power again. It's either tap dance between 1st and 2nd, or stay in 2nd and constantly cover the clutch. It's not the most lugable 250. I read people saying you can put a bike like the EC300 into 2nd and just crawl along. Having to do a lot of clutch work really kills my arm (tendentious) so what I certainly don't want is to find myself back in clutch-slipping land.

So at this point one trail is labeled "Sell TE, buy EC300" and the other is "keep TE, add a Revloc dynaring". Will I be sad if I replace my TE310 with an EC300?

-Jesse

I will be honest I can't speak on the Husky 310 I have never ridden one nor know anybody that has one but I have heard good things about them. I can however speak on the GG300's as I currently own two of them an 05 and a 2010 and have had a total of five GG's in the past 4 years. It sounds like to me the GG300 is going to give you exactly what you are looking for a bike with great low end tractable power with a smooth power delivery along with a bike you "can" lug in 2nd and 3rd and will climb just about anything you can think of. I had a Honda CRF450X and sold it because my 300's would lug just like the 450. As far as the handling and suspension IMO it doesn't get much better than the GG's I am 6'3 250 lbs and with the proper suspension set up these bike handle great actually the best handling bikes I have ever ridden. For tight gnarly, rocky , rutty trails these bikes are hard to beat and with the 6 speed Tanny and dual mapping system gives you the ultimate woods machine. The other somewhat misconception about the GG300's is that they have great low end power but not much on the top end and I can tell you they will rip on the top end as well. It sounds like you already have a great bike but I certainly would not hesitate on buying a GG300 I guarantee you won't be disappointed.:smirk:

GHill

thanks GHill! That's good info. I keep hearing that the GG300 is pretty much the perfect woods machine. I think the TE250/310 might just be the best 250 4-stroke enduro out there, so I want to gather all the info I can before I decide. I'm pretty sure I'll make the switch though - the GG sounds perfect for what I want. I miss the fun of a 2-stroke and sounds like rather than losing bottom end I'll have more.

-Jesse

I will echo the previous sentiments on the Gasgas EC300. I cannot think of a better bike suited for WA/OR woods riding. My '05 EC300 will lug and tractor up anything I point it at. Gasgas is known for their low end and I can ride mine in 3rd all day and never touch the clutch. The smooth delivery works amazing and I like it better than my WR450 for climbing tuff stuff. I have also run the D-100 and yes the 450 thumper is king there, but a 300 2-stroke will work fine IMO.

I have owned tons of other bikes including a couple of highly modded KDX220's, WR250, WR450, XR400, KTM 200,250,300, etc. I can honestly say that the Gasgas is the best of them all and seems perfectly suited for tight woods.

But, I have never owned the Husky, but seriously considered them since they have a great reputation and the TE310 seems like a great bike for the NW. The 310 seems like the ideal thumper for what you described, so it would be a tough decison for me, but the GasGas 300 is just about as perfect as it gets IMO.

The Gasgas is a bit smaller in stature and fits your average 6' rider very well, but tall bars, seat, footpegs can help a taller rider with ergos. The suspension is excellent IMO and you have an a local expert in LT racing to set you up for NW woods.

Good luck

I will echo the previous sentiments on the Gasgas EC300. I cannot think of a better bike suited for WA/OR woods riding. My '05 EC300 will lug and tractor up anything I point it at. Gasgas is known for their low end and I can ride mine in 3rd all day and never touch the clutch. The smooth delivery works amazing and I like it better than my WR450 for climbing tuff stuff. I have also run the D-100 and yes the 450 thumper is king there, but a 300 2-stroke will work fine IMO.

I have owned tons of other bikes including a couple of highly modded KDX220's, WR250, WR450, XR400, KTM 200,250,300, etc. I can honestly say that the Gasgas is the best of them all and seems perfectly suited for tight woods.

But, I have never owned the Husky, but seriously considered them since they have a great reputation and the TE310 seems like a great bike for the NW. The 310 seems like the ideal thumper for what you described, so it would be a tough decison for me, but the GasGas 300 is just about as perfect as it gets IMO.

The Gasgas is a bit smaller in stature and fits your average 6' rider very well, but tall bars, seat, footpegs can help a taller rider with ergos. The suspension is excellent IMO and you have an a local expert in LT racing to set you up for NW woods.

Good luck

Great point on the LTR racing Les in a expert on setting the suspension and jetting on the Gas Gas.:smirk:

GHill