help needed on 1992 XR250R

alright i got my tester and went to test it, when i set it to ohms it didn't read anything but i changed the setting i can't remember what to but it was reading anywhere from 100-700 when i kicked it and very rarely went up to 800-900. so what do you think? need another pickup coil?

i'd say the way you did your test is pretty inconclusive,you definetly need to be on the ohms setting,no good reading anything else,and you dont want to be kicking the bike as your trying to read it,

if you have done the test right,meter set to ohms,not kicking,and you got the probes on the right wires,the ones that come from the pick up coil,not the ones they connect to coming from the cdi,and you get a reading of zero i'd say your pick up has had it,or there is something wrong with your electrical tester :eek:

when mine went the reading was about half what it should have been,somewhere around 250 ohms

i'd do your test again set to ohms

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my bike dosen't have a battery either,you get a reading by setting your meter to ohms,its resistance were measuring here, not voltage,

the pickup coil is under the clutch cover , at the bottom of the cam chain run,the wire that exits the front of the engine, and runs up the front down tube of the frame ,has a little block connector that connects the pickup to the cdi,disconnect it and put a probe onto each of the points in the connector,

ive got to go to work now,so no time for pictures now,but will try and sort something later,if you still dont get how to check the resistance,

Look sometimes we have to face facts in life, I

Mean I know I am never going to be an astronaut, so I hung up that idea, it is kinda the same for you and being an xr mechanic, that is super basic stuff( ohm testing) you should really take this bike to someone and pay to have it fixed we can help but you at least need to know basic 101 stuff. Come on

i work on bikes, quads, vehicles daily... i just don't know much about this bike. and now i know i was checking in the wrong place, and as soon as i can i am going to check the pickup coil now. and i've worked on other xr bikes but they were the smaller xr engines. so if you got anymore comments on me being a mechanic, please keep them to yourself. i'm just trying to get my bike running.

Reading is Fundamental.

Giving someone a hammer does not make them a carpenter, by that same logic giving a wrench to someone does not make them a mechanic.

Casey, with all due respect, if you have the manual, read it. Don't look at the illustrations, don't fan through the pages for random things. Read the manual. Everything you need to know IS IN THERE. Take a chance. try it. If, after reading the manual you still can't solve the issues with this bike then I suggest you pass it on to someone that has more experience with them.

Reading is Fundamental.

Giving someone a hammer does not make them a carpenter, by that same logic giving a wrench to someone does not make them a mechanic.

Casey, with all due respect, if you have the manual, read it. Don't look at the illustrations, don't fan through the pages for random things. Read the manual. Everything you need to know IS IN THERE. Take a chance. try it. If, after reading the manual you still can't solve the issues with this bike then I suggest you pass it on to someone that has more experience with them.

well thanks for not making a smartass comment atleast, i appreciate that. and all i got is the haynes manual and it doesn't have hardly anything in it. i'll check through it again just to be sure if it shows this or not though. and i'm not going to give up on this bike, whether it takes me years to accomplish it or not. i'm at the point where i believe it is my wiring, my carb, or the valves need adjusted. it comes VERY close to starting...

Dear God man, let this tread die!!! Start a new one with any new problems.:eek:
Look sometimes we have to face facts in life, I

Mean I know I am never going to be an astronaut, so I hung up that idea, it is kinda the same for you and being an xr mechanic, that is super basic stuff( ohm testing) you should really take this bike to someone and pay to have it fixed we can help but you at least need to know basic 101 stuff. Come on

Obviously you don't get it Casey . It's really time to take this particular machine to a reputable mechanic or just sell it as a basket case and move on, you have wasted a lot of very nice people's time.

We have seen no pictures , that in it's self is puzzling.

I am not the best mechanic in the world but I have completely rebuilt three xr's sense this thread started and sold them and I'm halfway through another one, every nut and bolt Casey , and ran a construction company. So don't get all defensive , just get rid of the bike and move on like a big boy.

Obviously you don't get it Casey . It's really time to take this particular machine to a reputable mechanic or just sell it as a basket case and move on, you have wasted a lot of very nice people's time.

We have seen no pictures , that in it's self is puzzling.

I am not the best mechanic in the world but I have completely rebuilt three xr's sense this thread started and sold them and I'm halfway through another one, every nut and bolt Casey , and ran a construction company. So don't get all defensive , just get rid of the bike and move on like a big boy.

like i've said before, i don't spend all my time on ONE machine, i have about 6-7 dirtbikes, 2 fourwheelers, and a side by side to keep maintenance up on. i just work on the xr when i get spare time from my running toys. and if you guys wanted pics that's all you had to say, i'll go take some right now. and good for you, i wish i had enough time and money for 3 xr builds. and i don't mean to get defensive but i take working on stuff seriously and when he mentioned me being a mechanic it just made me a little mad.

sorry for the comment, I too get frustrated, after all I told you all the way back in February you had a bent valve, then again in may, even narrowed it down for you to the intake side, then offered to fix it for you. Imagine how I feel.( I can not see any other way to help you here. I do not claim to be the know it all mechanic, and I often ask for advise, or help, but at least I check out what is being said and give it a shot before saying blatantly the is not the issue. Hopefully the a moderator can lock this down because unless it is used for an example of what not to do, there is no useful information here and no problem being solved. good luck with the motor hope you get it running I am bowing out of this one.

sorry for the comment, I too get frustrated, after all I told you all the way back in February you had a bent valve, then again in may, even narrowed it down for you to the intake side, then offered to fix it for you. Imagine how I feel.( I can not see any other way to help you here. I do not claim to be the know it all mechanic, and I often ask for advise, or help, but at least I check out what is being said and give it a shot before saying blatantly the is not the issue. Hopefully the a moderator can lock this down because unless it is used for an example of what not to do, there is no useful information here and no problem being solved. good luck with the motor hope you get it running I am bowing out of this one.

i keep forgetting to get pics of the head for you, and i'm sorry for that. i'll go get some of it real quick and send them to you. and i'm sorry for getting aggrivated with you and everybody else.

EDIT: i just took the pics i'll send them to you when i get back from riding.