2004 crf 450?

Quick question without a lot of time to search. What are the good/bad points to the 2004 DRF 450 compared to other years? Problems that need addressed/things to look out for? Thanks for any help. ---Mike

Great bike. I love the sh!t out of mine. When you go look at it make sure it's cold before you start it. If it takes alot of kicks to start that could be a sign of valve problems.

Quick question without a lot of time to search. What are the good/bad points to the 2004 DRF 450 compared to other years? Problems that need addressed/things to look out for? Thanks for any help. ---Mike

loved mine but had alot of head issues due to the valves.when it gets hard to kick start and its bump start only its a head job not a valve job.if the price is right

Bought my used one last year. Great bike. Put about another 50hrs on it before I decided to do the piston/valves etc. Im thinking it had about 100ish when I bought it based on the piston & valve wear etc. Did the work myself And shes great now. Make sure it was maintained! starts good and was kept clean. Hopefully you get it cheap enough to ride for the season or part of And then spend a little $ for the Overhaul etc.

Thanks for the info. I will do some research. I thought i was going to have to act quick. There is more time available than I though. Off to search. No quirks of this particular year?

i love my 04, i also have an 06 and it seems like the 06 is a little quicker, lighter, narrower and it seems like u "sit on top" of my 06 where as u "sit in" my 04.. im actually faster in the woods on my 04 than i am the 06. im at around 100 hrs of woods riding and harescrambles and havent done anything to the valves. i have a buddy that has an 04 with a TON of hours of woods riding on it and its never had anything done to it. and i mean a TON of hours, its startin to burn a little oil so im gonna rebuild it soon but as long as ur not bouncing off the rev limiter or racing a lot u wont have as many valve problems as every1 says.

there really should be little to no power diff in the 04 to 06. THe heads are pretty much the same but the 06 will have the better valve seat material (06 on, and 07-08 head has different porting and smaller exst valves). You can count on the fact that with enough hours, the valves will need shimmed and eventually replaced. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on my o4but did replace the head with an 08 model/ss valves/hd springs .. LOVE the bike, ride exclusively woods and recently harescrables winning srB races.

when you change valves, replace the springs too..if ya go with ss valves, get the heavier springs. If you will be putting a TON of hours on the bike, When it comes time to replace the valves just get an 06 or newer head. Will really reduce the amount of intake valve issues.

interesting to know about the "feel" of sitting "in" the 04, considering getting an 08crf and wonder how the ergonomics will be on that.