tusk enduro lighting kit.... anyone install one?

hey guys , i have a 93 xr600r and am looking at buying a tusk enduro lighting kit . i know its different than a baja designs by that it doesnt tie into the electrical system , and you need to charge the small battery to power the tail light and turn signals . thats fine , its 180$ compared to 450$ . im sure the baja is better, but i wont be on the street that much to justify it. i already own a street bike too , so ill only use this about 10% of the time

heres the kit:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=857&navTitle=Electrical&webTypeId=193&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=26724&allVehParts=true

anyways , since i have a 1993 , i need to cut the old school rear fender down at the tip so that when you mount the TUSK enduro underneath the honda fender it wont have to point the tail light down to the ground due to the curvature of the honda fender.

i dont really want to buy a motocross style fender to replace the OEM one either.

anyways ..does anyone have any pics of the tusk enduro kit installed on a new or older style XR fender? im just wondering how it looks . i guessi could get creative and scrounge something up by myself instead of a tuck or baja kit .

thanks guys !

like many , im not really concerned about the headlight as i wont be doing any night time riding . just blasting up to the store or to do a nice scenic ride. nothing overnight.

the prev owner of the bike replaced the stock light on mine to a halogen he said... doubt itll make a difference but it might make me more visible to drivers during the day .

• 1 month later...

I just installed the Tusk kit with the hand guard blinkers. So far so good. I like the original fender so I built my own tail light bracket with plate holder. I also have access to a full fab shop and powder coating shop.

P4091100.jpg

If I were to do it again I would mount the blinkers up by the tail light.

It fits up good. The only problem i had is the rear blinker wires are shorter than I would like. I ended up running the rear connections in the tool bag with the battery. I don't like the mirror but I might just live with it for now. I'm glad I got mine before they went on back order. ?

oh yes .. little miss grunts-a-lot . my favorite all time bike. rare too .

the CCTs (cam chain tensioners) are prone for failure since they rely on a spring to keep the tension... and with over 30k on my bike its time to put some APE cct's on them . 105$ shipped for piece of mind . dont want pistons hittin valves ?

oh yes .. little miss grunts-a-lot . my favorite all time bike. rare too .

the CCTs (cam chain tensioners) are prone for failure since they rely on a spring to keep the tension... and with over 30k on my bike its time to put some APE cct's on them . 105$ shipped for piece of mind . dont want pistons hittin valves ?

Yep, had a black 2004(?) that I sold when I was starting to spend too much time pushing 100mph on my ride home.

And then I started thinking about mods............. and after I heard Acropovic exhaust on one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh my gawdddddddddd. If you've never heard one, don't. You'll have to have it.

The most beautiful sound I've ever heard. :cheers:

4 stroke single keeps the fun at "liveable f-up" levels. ?

ya , the akro is nice... but i have MIG high mounts on mine (from france) ... in the VTR world they are one of the most sought after pipes.. they dont make em anymore for the VTR . high mount tucked into the cowl , good throaty sound... like a ducati on roids .

photo

IMG_2615Large.jpg

heres a sound sound clip ... the sounds is a little lagging with the video but you get the idea.

th_video-2010-03-19-18-12-28.jpg

ya , the akro is nice... but i have MIG high mounts on mine (from france) ... in the VTR world they are one of the most sought after pipes.. they dont make em anymore for the VTR . high mount tucked into the cowl , good throaty sound... like a ducati on roids .

photo

IMG_2615Large.jpg

heres a sound sound clip ... the sounds is a little lagging with the video but you get the idea.

th_video-2010-03-19-18-12-28.jpg

Very nice. ?

Call and ask what part of the kit is back ordered. When I did mine it was the horn. They let me get a different one for an extra couple $ and it saved me waiting for a month.?

Or buy just the components and make your own wiring harness. I stumbled through making one, and was surprised by just how simple the wiring is.

I am doing one better. I bought the kit for a 2004 crf250x for 20$ cheaper since it doesn't come with a battery. I wanted to do this because I am following Jeff's recent post on installing a 12volt rectangular battery above the airbox and putting a rectifier inline to charge the battery with DC . I won't need the tusk battery then and would do away with plugging the charger in the wall every week

I just installed the Tusk kit with the hand guard blinkers. So far so good. I like the original fender so I built my own tail light bracket with plate holder. I also have access to a full fab shop and powder coating shop.

P4091100.jpg

If I were to do it again I would mount the blinkers up by the tail light.

It fits up good. The only problem i had is the rear blinker wires are shorter than I would like. I ended up running the rear connections in the tool bag with the battery. I don't like the mirror but I might just live with it for now. I'm glad I got mine before they went on back order. ?

I've been looking at this kit to convert my DRZ 400E to street legal status. The price is very attractive, hope the quality is the same. They're on sale right now at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for 159.99. Probably order one this week, for that price it's hard to resist.

• 3 weeks later...

well i finished the kit . works great! i bought a 4-wire keyed ignition off the BaY for 15$ and wired that into the tusk kit to eliminate the on/off clamp and kill switch. works great , no clutter on the bars. system charges the battery fine, and the Maier fender looks nice on the rear and the tusk lighting kit bolted under with only two bolts i hid under my tool pack . iprobably will add another single bolt in the rear center of the maier for support , but right now its on pretty tight . i got the cheaper 159$ kit with no battery and just bought a 20$ 12v battery and 3$ rectifier to charge from the bikes system alone .

heres a couple pics to get an idea.

IMG_20110504_210949Large-1.jpg

IMG_20110504_210845Large-1.jpg

Edited by woodbutcher80