Sign in to follow this  

cast aluminium VRS carbon fiber

im talking about clutch covers here. i would think the aluminium is stronger yet more brittle. the carbon can flex therefore not bust open. thoughts? thinking about using a carbon clutch cover after i split my stock cast one open in the trail.

Given the right situation, a carbon clutch cover could be punched through pretty easily as well. It depends on how many layers/layer direction the manufacturer builds up the cover with when using carbon, as well as the resin. I would also think that it depends on what is punching at your clutch cover (rock, stick). If it were me? I'd probably stick with the aluminum one. But I've never used a carbon one, only built airplanes with carbon :smirk:

I also come from the aviation side, and might try it. I know a good quality carbon part manufacture and emailed him.

From my personal experience, I have used stock clutch covers, I have had 2 carbon fiber clutch covers, and I have had 4 boyesen cast aluminum clutch covers. I have broken 2 stock covers. In the one season that I ran carbon fiber clutch covers (one on each bike), I never got a full season out of either carbon fiber clutch cover before it broke. I have yet to brake a boyesen one. My current boyesen covers are going on their 3rd season each. Add to the fact that the cast aluminum covers are almost 1/3 the cost of a carbon fiber one, I say go with the aluminum cover.

Edited by KJ790

There is also the third choice of billet aluminum clutch covers. You get the strength of aluminum, without the brittleness of the cast covers.

The strength of the Boyeson, Hinson, or GYT-R covers vs. stock is a simple function of their increased mass (and a bit stronger alloy being used); there's just more to them.

Carbon fiber can be extremely strong if that is the goal in making the part. I have no doubt that a clutch cover could be made stronger than either cast or billet aluminum at around the same weight. Whether any are is another matter.

The strength of the Boyeson, Hinson, or GYT-R covers vs. stock is a simple function of their increased mass (and a bit stronger alloy being used); there's just more to them.

Carbon fiber can be extremely strong if that is the goal in making the part. I have no doubt that a clutch cover could be made stronger than either cast or billet aluminum at around the same weight. Whether any are is another matter.

100% correct. The problem is that lighspeed is the only company I know of that makes a carbon fiber clutch cover, and everything I have had from them has been less than robust to put it lightly. I've never been impressed by any of their carbon fiber parts.

100% correct. The problem is that lighspeed is the only company I know of that makes a carbon fiber clutch cover, and everything I have had from them has been less than robust to put it lightly. I've never been impressed by any of their carbon fiber parts.

Can't speak to their engine covers, but I have a desert buddy who runs a Lightspeed full skidder on his DRZ, and I had a pair of their case guards on our old YZ250F. Both products proved to be quite robust, IMO.

Can't speak to their engine covers, but I have a desert buddy who runs a Lightspeed full skidder on his DRZ, and I had a pair of their case guards on our old YZ250F. Both products proved to be quite robust, IMO.

Maybe I just had bad luck, I don't know. I have had 3 carbon fiber parts from lightspeed (including the two clutch covers) and none of them lasted through a whole season without breaking. I have had numerous parts from Carbon Fiber Works, and they seemed to hold up for me much better, but I still broke a few of them after a while. Now I just make my own CF parts and have only had one part break, that was a rear disk shark fin that got cracked in a pileup. The skidplate I made for my 450 still looks new after 4 seasons. I know that CF parts can be made strong enough to hold up while still being light, but it seems like most companies that sell them to the public don't want to make them that way.

I have had numerous parts from Carbon Fiber Works, and they seemed to hold up for me
That's another really high quality source for CF stuff. My point is simply that there's the good stuff and the cheap bling that gives the good stuff a bad name.

The only carbon parts company I use is p3. Great craftsmanship, thick as hell. Just because a company doesn't make something doesn't mean you can't ask.