HELP! Hard Knock after rebuild!

I just got my BB kit, rebuild head, MCCT and MRD/SSW installed on my 01 DRZ400e and it started right up but with a Hard Knock :smirk: coming from the engine! What could I have done wrong? I did all the lock-tite fixes, double checked every step.

I just got my BB kit, rebuild head, MCCT and MRD/SSW installed on my 01 DRZ400e and it started right up but with a Hard Knock :smirk: coming from the engine! What could I have done wrong? I did all the lock-tite fixes, double checked every step.

Ok, I will ask the obvious... Do you have the proper amount of oil in it? Oil lines connected? Cam Timing perfect? Everything properly torqued during assembly with quality torque wrench? Did it knock as soon as it started? How long did you let it run before shutting it down?

Yes on oil, Craftsman torque wrench, cams perfect, started from first turn-over stared twice for less than 5 seconds. I pulled the spark plug, head cover and inspection cover and as I turn the crank with the 17mm there is a little jump I feel on the wrench as I pass the second TDC (lobes facing each other)

If it hits on the overlap stroke and not the compression stroke, you have to be hitting the piston with a valve. I'd recheck cam timing.

Piston hitting the top.....Not proper clearanced piston.... Correct gasket. Did you check for rotation with no contact..... Take the plug out... rotate the engine..... Those are a few I can think of.... But hopefully it`s something of less magnitude......:smirk::thumbsup:

Erling

I removed two of the layers of the base gasket.

piston in backward or cam timing is wrong.

If I turn it real slow, there are 3 distinct little ticks almost spring like, kinda like a toy music box. And they come from 3 distinct areas.

I'm in Albuquerque

I'm in Albuquerque

Ok.... To far for me.... I can`t help you with the base gasket selection..... Sure somebody will chime in..... But you can remove the plug....and check for free rotation..... Did the kit say only to use one gasket????

:smirk::thumbsup:

Erling

edit..... Ok ...saw your post #10....

And the winner is??????????????

Eddie! was correct! Backwards piston! Now what Eddie?

Seen it several times, results all three times have been > Intake Valves bent, piston will be dinged.. Check your valves.....

Edited by E.Marquez
And the winner is??????????????

Eddie! was correct! Backwards piston! Now what Eddie?

At least you have to pull off the cylinder top, check the damage on the piston and probably valves.

Seen it several times, results all three times have been > Intake Valves bent, piston will be dinged..

Thanks Eddie, at least I'm not the first.:smirk:

"There is nothing worse than someone who thinks they know what their doing!"

you got lucky. turn the piston around.

you got lucky. turn the piston around.

Eddie, you thinking he can just turn the piston? No damage to the valves?

I know you must have seen this way more then I have :smirk: So I only have three instances to go off of..:rant:

yah,only because he shut it off before it bent the valves.