2003 tahoe toyhauler

I did search and kept getting info for the GM suv:bonk:

We are looking at gettin a 2003 tahoe toyhauler. The trailer is 21feet long but the modle is a 24 tb (assuming they measure the tongue for that) It has no gen, but does have a fuel station and all the noraml goodies. It is used but in fairly good shape. May come with a wd hitch and seperate gen. they are asking $9400, and I think I can get them down a bit.

The only concern I have is the floor in front of the toilet/fridge has an issue. It seems like part of the sub floor is not on top of a joist. It is not rot cause it is s distinct fine line. I think I could remove the linoleum (SP?) and fix this. Other then that it checks out good.

Opinions on the problem?

Opinions on thahoes in general (not the suv)

Thanks in advance

If the floor is not rotted like they usually are then it is simply that they put the floor framing in the wrong place.

If you're really lucky that part is not above a holding tank and you can just slice open the fabric belly pan underneath and repair as necesary from under the floor.

If you're not so lucky you'll need to take up the flooring, cut a hole in the floor, add studs as necesary, put a new chunk of plywood down, put lino back down.

You may want to consider dropping the holding tank and repairing from underneath though.

Rotten trailer floors are my livelyhood.

Dan I hope you are right. The floor does not seem like it is rotten. I have an old trailer (for sale) that has rot and the two are way different. I do hope that is is either a broken support or frame work in the wrong spot. Kinda a gamble, but what the heck.

It is above the black water tank.. so do you think I should go from up top or the bottom. I assume to drop the tank I have to cut some pvc pipe and also that the tank is held on by straps like a gas tank. How do you mend the belly of the beast after you slice her open? Also, is the lino usually glued on or not. The lino has not torn or cracked so I assume it is not glued. Thanks for any info.

the black tank will be held in by the toilet flange and a vent that goes to the roof.

The toilet comes off with two bolts, then the toilet flange is held on with some big #2 Phillips screws. Being a Tahoe its probably not threaded into the tank, its likely just into the fitting with some white sealant. Twist the flange back and forth a few times, put a couple screws in a piece of hardwood spaced the same as the slots in the floor flange to use as a wrench of sorts. It should then pull up.

The vent will be 1.5" black ABS pipe. If you're lucky it just goes straight up, take the cap off the top of the vent on the roof, twist the pipe to get it loose and just push it straight up. If you're unlucky it makes some bends, ties into another vent and won't budge. Just cut it, you can buy a coupler for a couple bucks to put it back together.

there are some wires on the tank somewhere for the level monitor. They're just screwed on to the tank, remove them, keep track of the order.

then you can unbolt the gate valve, undo the straps, and it will fall on your head and you'll find out its not as empty as you though it was.

After you're done throwing up....

Slice the belly pan open, pull the insullation down, and have a look at whats going on. Repair as necesary.

To repair the fabric there is a special repair tape available at an RV dealer thats very sticky and looks the same. Or you can just duct tape it.

Thank you so much for the info. All I need to do is sign a piece of paper and drop off the down payment at the bank. The trailer is alsolocated 2.5 hours away, so I will have to get it home. Cant wait to get it home. I think attacking it from bottom will be thr rout to go then. I am not sure I would be able to get they lino to sit back down exactly right. Thanks again for the tips. If you dont mind I might PM you if I run into an issue ?

Side note: I work in the wastewater industry so a little poo wont make me puke ?

Saw my dad open the gate valve (no tank) with the toilet and piping full of poo, the hose was not on very tight lol, he had to take a shower and buy a new hat. I told him at least its just yours and moms, when I am at work I get many random peoples poo on me almost daily. Also, while we were looking at the trailer my daughter (5 years old) went number one in the trailer and could not figure out how to flush it (winterized) I felt bad, but now I guess it is not a big issue for the guy who sold it to me.

Side note: I work in the wastewater industry so a little poo wont make me puke ?

Saw my dad open the gate valve (no tank) with the toilet and piping full of poo, the hose was not on very tight lol, he had to take a shower and buy a new hat. I told him at least its just yours and moms, when I am at work I get many random peoples poo on me almost daily. Also, while we were looking at the trailer my daughter (5 years old) went number one in the trailer and could not figure out how to flush it (winterized) I felt bad, but now I guess it is not a big issue for the guy who sold it to me.

Every year at the RV Show there was always two or three of our units that someone had used the toilet, and since they're new units there is no water to flush, and also no toilet paper, so if it had a shower curtain, we had to replace it.

It might be a good idea to flush the blank tank a few times before you drop it.

If it were me I would fill it with ice and water when I picked it up and would make the drive home. This will make sure you stir everything up in there real good.

At home or your nearest dump I would flush it a few times to get as much crap outa there as possible. Good luck with the repair ?

hey no problem. you can reach me direct dan@hot4x4.ca if you have any questions.

odd I have a Tahoe in the shop right now, taken the trailer off the floor to build a new floor cause the old one was rotten beyond help.

Thats not good. I hope I am not anywhere near that state. Thanks again for the tips. It is people like you, a professional who gets paid for your knowlege, willing to give free advice, that restores my faith in humanity. A little dramatic. But thanks.

Shower curtains, for real..... makes me not feel so bad. Still it was funny watching my dad douch his head with his own dookie.

We are upgrading from a 1967 16' trailer. My family is so excited for the camping season to arrive. We usualy go as a family 5 to 7 times a year, and I take it hunting two or three times a year, some friends and I are getting into prospecting this year as well. This is such a blessing to us. Thanks again for your help.

Every year at the RV Show there was always two or three of our units that someone had used the toilet, and since they're new units there is no water to flush, and also no toilet paper, so if it had a shower curtain, we had to replace it.

And here I thought that episode of Jackass in the home improvement store plumbing department was unbelievable!

I have a 2003 Tahoe 21TB trailer with the raised queen bed in back; only thing I don't like is climbing up and down that ladder to get to bed. The 24TB has the front bedroom with queen bed.

It's a good trailer but as with any used trailer be sure to go through it with some basic maintenance that is often neglected by the previous owners. A lot of people buy a trailer then don't maintain it and just sell it when things are starting to get bad.

Roof leak issues are very common and lead to dry rot. The sky light above my shower was leaking when I bought it from previous owner. I had to take it all the way off and re-install it correctly. Check the roof material well, clean it and reseal with lap sealant where needed.

Congrats on the recent purchase.

Mine is the 21TB as well. Shower vent has been refitted once already, but I will keep my eyes open. I took a peak at the roof and it looks good. Just picked up a cummins/onan 6500 watt gen for 600 bucks. I know its overkill, but what the heck I can microwave, a/c, and run the heater all at the same time. Picking up the trailer in the morn. Hope to get the floor done sooner than latter.

Mine is the 21TB as well. Shower vent has been refitted once already, but I will keep my eyes open. I took a peak at the roof and it looks good. Just picked up a cummins/onan 6500 watt gen for 600 bucks. I know its overkill, but what the heck I can microwave, a/c, and run the heater all at the same time. Picking up the trailer in the morn. Hope to get the floor done sooner than latter.

:thumbsup:Keep us posted!

I have a 2000 21tb. the po hit a tree limb and cracked that shower skylight. then one of the windows was leaking where someone put a screw through the bottom channel. they pinched the heater wires when putting the side wall on. other than that I like it. frame seems solid and it holds a good amount of water.