XR Six Fiddy R - Quick Suspension Question

Hey guys its been a while since i started a post so i might as well, just a quick question about whether having my suspension done would offer a large enough improvement to justify the $$$.

Recently i have been riding some rougher and knarlier types of hills and was wondering if having the suspension resprung or modified in any way would offer any improvement?

I weigh roughly 75-80kgs which i believe is close to what the bikes are made for and have the suspension settings at the recommended manual settings, would i get any improvement spending $$$ on the BRP's suspension?

If so whats involved, the cost and what parts etc or changed to help?

Thanks

Matt :smirk:

Tires, suspension and experience are the most important aspects in this sport. The question is if you feel the same way.

When you send in your stuff you'll be paying for a rebuild, revalve and possibly a respring. For the rebuild, they will replace the wear parts like oil, bushings and seals. For the revalve they will change out the shims on the valves to better suit your type of riding. Finally, if your weight is outside the stock spring range they will supply you with correct springs. In USD, it generally costs about $400-700 to have all this done.

You also want to call a few different tuners and talk to them and get a feel. Possibly look around online for opinions or reviews from people in your area who've used them. The xr650r suspension is pretty ehh out of the box compared to newer bikes. So most educated changes will be positive but no one is perfect so changes this person makes may not be something you like. This means you need to work with someone who will work with you.

If you're a DIY person then there is this page:

http://www.borynack.com/XR650R/

The 650R has fairly decent suspension as is. At 170ish lbs the springs don't need replacing, which is the BIG difference for most folks if they are signifcantly heavier.

Have you played with adjustability of the bike? Preload, compression, big differences there to be had.

But it's still a big heavy bike that wore me out on single track.

The 650R has fairly decent suspension as is. At 170ish lbs the springs don't need replacing, which is the BIG difference for most folks if they are signifcantly heavier.

Have you played with adjustability of the bike? Preload, compression, big differences there to be had.

But it's still a big heavy bike that wore me out on single track.

It is a big and heavy bike but for my purposes its the only bike that really does what i want. I may have a bit of a play with the settings on the bike and see any differences before i throw the $$$ at it.

Thanks for the info guys :smirk:

Go ask the suspension guru forum for same base settings for your bike. Or a Honda suspension tuner.

Hey guys its been a while since i started a post so i might as well, just a quick question about whether having my suspension done would offer a large enough improvement to justify the $$$.

Recently i have been riding some rougher and knarlier types of hills and was wondering if having the suspension resprung or modified in any way would offer any improvement?

I weigh roughly 75-80kgs which i believe is close to what the bikes are made for and have the suspension settings at the recommended manual settings, would i get any improvement spending $$$ on the BRP's suspension?

If so whats involved, the cost and what parts etc or changed to help?

Thanks

Matt :smirk:

It's somewhat simple. Bruces' site helps a lot.

I ended up with about 6 more low speed compression shims (also, thicker than stock shims)on the rear,and just one more compression shim on the front.:rant:

Plus the heavier springs..

We've got BIG desert bumps out here!

My son and I have had 4 XR600Rs. Suspension revalving/respringing was the best money spent. We both weigh same as you. For the record, my '98 HRC628 with WP 4054 forks ad WP shock was no better in the suspension department than the stock forks and shock revalved by Factory Connection. WER is also one of the best for XR suspension. In your neck of the woods, you might want to talk to Ballards.

My son and I have had 4 XR600Rs. Suspension revalving/respringing was the best money spent. We both weigh same as you. For the record, my '98 HRC628 with WP 4054 forks ad WP shock was no better in the suspension department than the stock forks and shock revalved by Factory Connection. WER is also one of the best for XR suspension. In your neck of the woods, you might want to talk to Ballards.

So you reckon its definitely worth checking it out? Is it just better parts that are available now that improve the suspension or just different settings and tweaks etc?

Thanks

Matt.

Slow down here.

A 650R has HELLUVA lot better suspension than a 600 did.

NOT the same thing!

XR600 can't be made to work "well" with stock suspension bits.

XR650R CAN, as long as the springs fit your weight.

AND THEY DO.

Slow down here.

A 650R has HELLUVA lot better suspension than a 600 did.

NOT the same thing!

XR600 can't be made to work "well" with stock suspension bits.

XR650R CAN, as long as the springs fit your weight.

AND THEY DO.

So if the springs already suit my weight is there any improvements to be had?

Thats where im confused, as to how it can be improved.

It really comes down to how you ride it.... Do you hit bumps in 5 th gear that look like burried VWs'? Or do the bumps look like ground hog mounds.?

Sure it can be improved. NO doubt about that.

The question is whether YOU ride hard enough and/or rough enough terrain to need more than the decent stock suspension.

If money isn't an issue, then do it.

But can a 650r rider be perfectly happy with stock suspension?

Lots are.

It really comes down to how you ride it.... Do you hit bumps in 5 th gear that look like burried VWs'? Or do the bumps look like ground hog mounds.?

LOL, that's an interesting way of setting a visual for those of us that don't see such things. :smirk:

Hmm the main reason i brought up this topic was because of the slower rougher terrain i have been doing recently, so does the majority of the improvement help the faster big hits? Along with jumps etc?

Thanks

Matt.