CST, Surge I, Front Tire Mounted

Today the high temperature reached a balmy, 45 degrees Fahrenheit. :p Therefore, I took the opportunity to mount a new, CST, Surge I, front tire to replace the Dunlop, D603 front tire on my XR650L. :smirk:

CSTSurgeIFrontTire013.jpg

CSTSurgeIFrontTire015.jpg

Riding a few miles south of town, I tested the new tire in some soggy grass. The relatively narrow tire bit into the grass, and felt very stable. :rant:

CSTSurgeIFrontTire029.jpg

CSTSurgeIFrontTire037.jpg

Then I went for a 15-mile ride, and tested the new tire on the pavement.

CSTSurgeIFrontTire040.jpg

Although it is not advertised as such, my Surge I tire has the DOT lettering on the sidewall. :smirk: I tested the front tire up to 85 mph, indicated, and it performed very well. :lol: I will post further reports of this tire after the weather warms up, and I ride the muddy gravel roads produced by the spring thaw.

Spud :p

A new DOT tire, looks pretty good... wonder if the back is DOT?

supersize.jpg

Dave

A new DOT tire, looks pretty good... wonder if the back is DOT?

supersize.jpg

Dave

I didn't know the Surge I, front tire was DOT approved until I examined the sidewall, Dave. :smirk:

DOTMarks003.jpg

I have never seen the CST Surge tire advertised as DOT approved; however, as you can see, the sidewall contains the three magic letters. :rant: I don't own the rear, Surge I tire; therefore, I don't know if the rear tire has the DOT markings. :p

Spud :lol:

I have tested the Surge I, front tire for 200 miles, and I continue to be pleased with its performance. :smirk:

XRLFebRide013.jpg

XRLFebRide022.jpg

XRLFebRide049.jpg

XRLFebRide057.jpg

The Surge I tire has performed well on soggy, muddy, and snowy terrain. This tire also handles surprisingly well on the street. :rant:

Spud :lol:

Spud I just got a surge I tire after depleting my previous stock. Works great... matches the Desert IT rear like a pair and is very tough. Thanks for posting this up.. I wouldn't have looked for it if you hadn't posted this

Is it DOT yet?

always has been afaik

I've been away from this thread for too long, yeah, right there in post 3.

The rear is still in question, i think.

CST stand for? Chianeeze Surge Tire?

Spud I just got a surge I tire after depleting my previous stock. Works great... matches the Desert IT rear like a pair and is very tough. Thanks for posting this up.. I wouldn't have looked for it if you hadn't posted this

You're welcome. :)  Yes, the CST, Surge I, front tire is an excellent match for the Maxxis, Desert IT, rear tire.  The Surge I, front tire is very tough, and has a more aggressive tread than the Desert IT, front tire.  In addition, the Surge I, front tire is less expensive, and has DOT approval. ;)

Spud :)

CST stand for? Chianeeze Surge Tire?

Yes, CST is the new name for Cheng Shin Tires.  I believe Maxxis tires are also manufactured by Cheng Shin. ;)

Spud :)