CST, Surge I, Front Tire Mounted

Today the high temperature reached a balmy, 45 degrees Fahrenheit. ? Therefore, I took the opportunity to mount a new, CST, Surge I, front tire to replace the Dunlop, D603 front tire on my XR650L. ?

CSTSurgeIFrontTire013.jpg

CSTSurgeIFrontTire015.jpg

Riding a few miles south of town, I tested the new tire in some soggy grass. The relatively narrow tire bit into the grass, and felt very stable. :rant:

CSTSurgeIFrontTire029.jpg

CSTSurgeIFrontTire037.jpg

Then I went for a 15-mile ride, and tested the new tire on the pavement.

CSTSurgeIFrontTire040.jpg

Although it is not advertised as such, my Surge I tire has the DOT lettering on the sidewall. ? I tested the front tire up to 85 mph, indicated, and it performed very well.? I will post further reports of this tire after the weather warms up, and I ride the muddy gravel roads produced by the spring thaw.

Spud ?

A new DOT tire, looks pretty good... wonder if the back is DOT?

supersize.jpg

Dave

I didn't know the Surge I, front tire was DOT approved until I examined the sidewall, Dave. ?

DOTMarks003.jpg

I have never seen the CST Surge tire advertised as DOT approved; however, as you can see, the sidewall contains the three magic letters. :rant: I don't own the rear, Surge I tire; therefore, I don't know if the rear tire has the DOT markings. ?

Spud?

• 2 years later...

Spud I just got a surge I tire after depleting my previous stock. Works great... matches the Desert IT rear like a pair and is very tough. Thanks for posting this up.. I wouldn't have looked for it if you hadn't posted this

You're welcome. ?  Yes, the CST, Surge I, front tire is an excellent match for the Maxxis, Desert IT, rear tire.  The Surge I, front tire is very tough, and has a more aggressive tread than the Desert IT, front tire.  In addition, the Surge I, front tire is less expensive, and has DOT approval. ?

Spud ?