Removing Allen screws

I have a 2005 Honda CRF450X with a White Brothers Racing E2 aftermarket exhaust. I want to repack the exhaust and when I attempted to remove the 5mm Allen screws I noticed that they were striped. (the part where the Allen tool goes into the head) So what are my options here to try and get the 5 mm screws removed? The exhaust is still in excellent condition and I would hate to have to spend more $$ on a new pipe. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan.

Use a hacksaw to saw a straight slot, then use a straight slot screwdriver.

Or take a chisel to the outside edge of the screw and tap in a CCW direction.

Also... use an hand impact driver. You may also want to soak the area in PB Blaster for a few days first. on reassembly, use Anti-Seize,

Just drill out the stripped head and replace it with a new fastener.

Use a hacksaw to saw a straight slot, then use a straight slot screwdriver.

Or take a chisel to the outside edge of the screw and tap in a CCW direction.

+1^^, Or use a Dremel to carefully cut the slot for a flathead.

And soak with PB Nutbuster.

Don't drill it out, except as a last resort.

Just drill out the stripped head and replace it with a new fastener.

My vote too. :smirk:

I've had luck on occasion with forcing a torx drive into the head.

Old farmers trick, but sometimes works. dip your tool in valve grinding compound and try it again in the fastener. Seen this work with rounded bolts too.

You def need an impact driver with a flat driver bit. Slot the allen head out with a dremel cutting wheel and hit spank the impact driver with the flat bit and it'll turn! Then you don't have to worry about screwing up, slipping and gouging your cannister up or drilling out every stupid bolt/screw-which will take a long time. Not to mention ending up drilling the original hole out too big and next thing you know youre having to use some giant ugly looking screw or bolt to hold the cannister back together.

Old farmers trick, but sometimes works. dip your tool in valve grinding compound and try it again in the fastener. Seen this work with rounded bolts too.

You mean the allen key...........:smirk:

You mean the allen key...........

Yeah, that too

I reread my post after posting and figured for sure some smart a$$ would rise to the occasion.

Thank you for being there for me

not that I didn't deserve it though for lack of quality proofreading