Sign in to follow this  

Ok guys 06,07 or 08??

Im about to start racing old guy motocross for the first time in 9 years. Im excited to start racing again and ive decided to go with the CRF450. My budget will allow me up to an '08.

What year should I get, 2006, 2007 or 2008 and why??

:smirk::ride::rant:

Because of the gear controlled ignition system, the 08 is the easiest to ride fast.

Because of the gear controlled ignition system, the 08 is the easiest to ride fast.

I recently picked up an 06.. will the ignition from the 08 work or do I need other components as well ? BTW the 06 model is pretty solid except the only negetive I have it doen't turn as well as my 250 2t. I couldn't find an 08 for a good price range here in the bay area they ranged from $4K to $5K. You can't go wrong with any of 06-08 CRF450 models.

never seen it done.....the 08 has a gear postion sensor in the case

im gonna say its a no.....unless you put the whole motor in

you will need the ignition and wiring harness too.

i ride an 05 which is basically the same. put a set of 20mm triple clamps on it and it will turn better, and have the suspension done and youre money. whatever bike you buy 05-08 just make sure it has low hours.i would rather have a low hour 05 than an 08 with 150+ hours on it, even if the 08 motor was rebuilt. as the bike gets worn in, all of the bearings get some degree of slop in them.

Edited by motogeek

Yeah, but all it does is mellow out 1st and 2nd gear. If you're riding woods or trails or something I guess that's might be a good thing. But 1st and 2nd gear on a MX bike are generally too tall for that stuff anyway.

For motocross where you never even use 1st gear and rarely 2nd it's a bit of a moot point. So, easiest to ride fast may not be the best way to put it.

Maybe easier to ride slow describes it better.

I would forget 06, did not have smaller 30mm exhaust valves which gave more torque feel like 07 & 08 have. Its a toss up between 07 & 08, get the 07 if you want the best suspension feeling (forks not real plush and steeper 22mm triple offset giving me fits dialing in the fork on my 08), get the 08 if you want the better motor feeling (08 has different computer mapping on lower gears, 07 does not have) Thats my opinion...Bill.

Yeah, but all it does is mellow out 1st and 2nd gear. If you're riding woods or trails or something I guess that's might be a good thing. But 1st and 2nd gear on a MX bike are generally too tall for that stuff anyway.

For motocross where you never even use 1st gear and rarely 2nd it's a bit of a moot point. So, easiest to ride fast may not be the best way to put it.

Maybe easier to ride slow describes it better.

That depends on the track. On a technical track, with SX type jumps directly out of corners, the retarded timing in 2nd gear really helps maintain traction on the jump face. It helps a lot on tighter tracks, hard pack tracks and slick exits too. I start in 2nd gear and I've found that it's also easier to get a good jump without blowing the tire loose. On high speed tracks with a lot of traction, it's not as helpful. I race vet A and I'm faster on my 08 than I was on my 06.

Edited by CamP

The 08 is a great bike. If you put 24mm clamps from the 06-07 on it it cures the steering problems that Honda tried to mask with the damper in 08. get teh suspension dialed in and its an awesome bike.

The 08 is a great bike. If you put 24mm clamps from the 06-07 on it it cures the steering problems that Honda tried to mask with the damper in 08. get teh suspension dialed in and its an awesome bike.

i love the way mine steers and corners...it will cut under 250's all day longggggg :smirk: