Sign in to follow this  

Help Needed - Getting a '98 XR250R Back to Life

I just picked up 1998 XR250R for an outstanding price. The bike is a beauty on the outside for only $800, plus a Leatt brace thrown in.

Here are some pictures of the beast:

DSCI0043-1-1.jpg

DSCI0048-1.jpg

Now here's the list of problems:

The linkage is seized; hard as a rock. The front is opposite; very little resistance. (fixed)

The front brake rotor is warped. (fixed)

There was no oil in the bike. (Okay I'm a noob :smirk:)

There are spiders living inside the airbox. (fixed)

The rear needs a new tube.

The drive chain is poop. (fixed)

The throttle is seized. (fixed)

Those are problems that I'll be fine fixing on my own. The big problem is that the motor has little or no compression. The last owner claims it has been bored out to 300cc and has a white brothers cam. I can push the starter through easily with my hand. This is what I need help on. I've never dealt with a dead motor before. Where should I start? Also is there a service manual upload somewhere around here like there is in the 150/230 forum? Thanks everyone.

Edited by gabechroust

No oil in the bike.........The 400 engine is dry sump, oil stored in the frame. When the bike sits, the oil seeps into the crankcase, it is impossible to check the oil with the dipstick. To obtain an accurate check, the engine must be warmed up so that the oil is pumped back into the frame. Since it probably needs an oil change anyway, pull the drain plugs at the bottom of the frame downtube and at the bottom of the engine and see how much drains out.

• Like 1

No oil in the bike.........The 400 engine is dry sump, oil stored in the frame. When the bike sits, the oil seeps into the crankcase, it is impossible to check the oil with the dipstick. To obtain an accurate check, the engine must be warmed up so that the oil is pumped back into the frame. Since it probably needs an oil change anyway, pull the drain plugs at the bottom of the frame downtube and at the bottom of the engine and see how much drains out.

Oh cool, thanks. I'm completely new to the XR series, so everything you can throw at me will be helpful.

Nice deal .:smirk:

Pull the carb and clean it ,that will solve the throttle seized thing.

A few drops of oil down the spark plug hole will help the compression issue till the engine gets warmed up and the rings expand.

This bike has been sitting I'm sure for more then a year . I would bet that motor is just fine ,just needs to be run.

Put some air in the tire and fire that bitch up and ride it hard for 20 minutes.

Get the parts it needs asap ,chain ,rotor and exercise that bike . I really doubt that bike need much but a rider.

• Like 1

Nice deal .:smirk:

Pull the carb and clean it ,that will solve the throttle seized thing.

A few drops of oil down the spark plug hole will help the compression issue till the engine gets warmed up and the rings expand.

This bike has been sitting I'm sure for more then a year . I would bet that motor is just fine ,just needs to be run.

Put some air in the tire and fire that bitch up and ride it hard for 20 minutes.

Get the parts it needs asap ,chain ,rotor and exercise that bike . I really doubt that bike need much but a rider.

Woah, so the engine might not be screwed up? Wow I need a spark plug wrench ASA*P! Where can I get one?

And yeah I know, the deal was amazing! I could even sell the Leatt he gave me since I already have an EVS, or sell the EVS! Not to mention the thing is plated with current tags.

*Edit* Purchasing a spark plug socket now hehehe.

Get it running ,thats the only way to know what you really have .I'm betting you have a winner ,those engines are bullet proof.

New gas ,clean carburetor,filter cleaned ,oil checked,got spark ,good to go Houston.

This is the the problem with buying a used bike ,the unknown and the only way to get to know it is to run it hard . Only fix what is obvious .

If it runs like shit the guys here on TT will help you figure out whats wrong.

The biggest problem I see with any bike , and look at the treads on here is the carburetor ,jets getting dirt in them and like your carb its a varnish problem[old gas] , keep it clean inside and out and don't let it sit with gas in it for more then a couple weeks.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck and let us know whats happening

I just bought this 90 last Thursday and after a major carb cleaning and a preflight check I went for a nice ride today . One kick starter and one of the best running xrs's I own. The guy I bought it off of said it didn't have any compression . :smirk:

Bikes090.jpg

Bikes092.jpg

Bikes061.jpg

Awesome find, Crazyfast! You've got a really nice collection there.

Okay, I just pulled the carb. There was a lot of nice brown gas in it. It'll be soaking in gumout for a long time. Spark plug will be picked up tomorrow, and spark plug socket is expected to be here on the 18th. That gives me enough time to address the linkage, at least. My 230 can donate a rotor and drive chain, if needed, when it's finally time to ride :smirk:

get the brake parts from bikebandit.com

they have oem stuff...

you can shave down a 17mm for the sparky plug.. can get them at tool stores, sears, napa

nice score, nice collectin crazyfast.

when I got my 01 xr250, the PO had let it sit about 2 years in his garage, the tires were almost flat, everything looked like it came of the showroom floor and sat ever since... I jumped on it, cranked it over, braaapppp.. started fourth or fifth kick and ran like a champ. took it home, cleaned out the carb, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, spark plug, adjusted the valves, filled the tires and ran it hard ever since! :smirk:

Id say number one thing to do is clean the carb and new spark plug!

• Like 1

Before pulling the spark plug, clean out the spark plug well thoroughly with compressed air, pressure washer, or whatever. The spark plug well collects a lot of crud and that crud will fall into the cylinder when you pull the plug, not a good thing.

All I want to add is that you are gonna want to stay on top of your valve clearance, with my 97 the thing becomes almost impossible to start cold when they are out of spec. also these bikes have a auto decompression on the kick starter, so your compression is probably fine besides that you got yourself one of the best trail bikes out there man.:smirk: welcome to the club!:rant:

• Like 1

I disassembled and boiled my last carb in water with some lime juice for about 20 minutes. Cleaned that SOB right up but don't tell my wife I use her kitchen like that.:smirk:

All I want to add is that you are gonna want to stay on top of your valve clearance, with my 97 the thing becomes almost impossible to start cold when they are out of spec. also these bikes have a auto decompression on the kick starter, so your compression is probably fine besides that you got yourself one of the best trail bikes out there man.:smirk: welcome to the club!:rant:

Yes sir, I love my 97 xr250 ,best bike I have ever owned ,at 165 pounds I keep up with all my buddys and their xr400's but I have one of those too.

I disassembled and boiled my last carb in water with some lime juice for about 20 minutes. Cleaned that SOB right up but don't tell my wife I use her kitchen like that.:rant:

:smirk:

Okay, so the carb is apart and soaking. One thing I noticed is that the jets seem on the small side for such a bike. The airbox snorkel is gone and it has a White Brother's pipe, and the jets were 125 and 45. Doesn't that seem too lean? What do you guys suggest as a starting point? sea level @ anywhere from 38F to 103F.

Another thing I found today was that both the clickers on the shock were completely screwed in, so I backed them out to middle position. That leads to another question; which clicker does what? Thanks.

The adjuster just below the spring / turn clockwise until it stops turning is full hard ,counter clock wise 7-10 clicks out is normal . The punch mark on the screw head should be aligned top center between the H & S.

Compression Damping adjuster on the cylinder by the air box door. It has 20 positions. One full turn is four positions. Indent on the screw head must face forward between the H & S 9-12 clicks out[counter clock wise is normal].

Jets -- Clean them and reassemble and fire that bike up,we want th here it run ,re-jet later by checking the spark plug color ,I know you will want to use that new plug wrench . :smirk:

I disassembled and boiled my last carb in water with some lime juice for about 20 minutes. Cleaned that SOB right up but don't tell my wife I use her kitchen like that.:rant:

24 hours in gumout didn't do sh*t! Then I read this, and it took less than 2 minutes in warm water for the slide to come free. Woooo! One step closer. :smirk:

Also, a new brake rotor is on the way.

Edited by gabechroust

Stock jets are 132 main, 45 pilot. I've had several 250s, 135 and 48 work good from sea level to about 5000 feet, after that go leaner. Your 125 main is about right for riding at around 7500ft. and up. Shock.....put the clickers in the middle positions and work from there to suit your riding style/conditions. Setting the rear sag is important. Measure the unloaded height of the rear suspension and the height with you sitting on it, sag should be 4" +/- to start, adjust one way or the other to suit.